HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Food for Thought: Galchenyuk +/- stats (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1352913)

hardcorehabs 02-17-2013 04:14 PM

Food for Thought: Galchenyuk +/- stats

Bored today on this beautiful Sunday in Saskatchewan lol. Decided to do put together some statistics regarding NHL centers. Calculated the leaders for how often (in even strength minutes) a center gets a "plus". I know some of these stats may be skewed if a player was on the ice during a short handed goal but I chose even strength minutes because for the most part it allows for more accuracy.
(centers must have at least a plus-5 rating to be entered)

ANA Saku Koivu +1 per every 15:34 even strength TOI
CAR Eric Staal +1 per every 16:35 even strength TOI
CAR Jiri Tlusty +1 per every 17:32 even strength TOI
COL John Mitchell +1 per every 19:20 even strength TOI
MTL Alex Galchenyuk +1 per every 19:48 even strength TOI
ANA Daniel Winnik +1 per every 19:58 even strength TOI
BOS Tyler Seguin +1 per every 21:40 even strength TOI
VAN Henrik Sedin +1 per every 22.01 even strength TOI
CHI Jonathan Towes +1 per every 22:09 even strength TOI
PIT Sidney Crosby +1 per every 22.15 even strength TOI
CGY Matt Stajan +1 per every 24:02 even strength TOI
ANA Andrew Cogliano +1 per every 26.01 even strength TOI
BOS Patrice Bergeron +1 per every 27:04 even strength TOI
TOR Jay McClement +1 per every 31:19 even strength TOI
ANA Ryan Getzlaf +1 per every 31.28 even strength TOI
NJD Travis Zajac +1 per every 32:30 even strength TOI
DET Pavel Datsyuk +1 per every 34:43 even strength TOI
NSH David Legwand +1 per every 37:10 even strength TOI
NYR Derek Stephen +1 per every 37:39 even strength TOI
BOS David Krejci +1 per every 39:01 even strength TOI
NYR Brad Richards +1 per every 40:57 even strength TOI

Seeing as we are about 1/3 done the season, I find it very impressive Galchenyuk is in top 5. Also, him and Gallagher are top two in rookie plus minus. I cannot wait to watch him in a couple of years, I think we have ourselves an amazing two-way center in the making. I understand his lack of experience is why MT is easing him in and not playing him too much, but seeing this it makes me wonder how he would do with more minutes. Hell, he averaging under 10 mins even strength per game. Anyway, discuss and.......

GO HABS GO :yo:

Roulin 02-17-2013 04:20 PM

That 1088 PDO is going to come down to earth, bringing the +/- with it - for one, there's no way Price/Budaj (Bruce?) keeps up a .952 ES save% when he's on the ice - but the fact that we have an 18 year old with the talent to keep his head above water in the NHL is fantastic.

HankyZetts 02-17-2013 04:21 PM

It is really nice to see, but you must put it in context. A lot of those players are always playing against top opposition.

Chucky will be a star though, no doubt in my mind.

LeMAD 02-17-2013 04:23 PM

Not that he isn't playing well, but:

-he and his linemates had a few "lucky" goals at the start of the season, which helped their +- a lot. (what I mean by this is that it seemed that everything was going their way)

-He's probably playing against weak opposition

-The team played most of its games against weak teams too

I'm guessing he'll end the year with around 20 points and a +- that's a bit over 0.

hardcorehabs 02-17-2013 04:24 PM

True definitely, I just think he should earn a little more even strength time. Up it from around 10 min per game to around 13 min per game

rockjngo 02-17-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMAD (Post 59909493)
Not that he isn't playing well, but:

-he and his linemates had a few "lucky" goals at the start of the season, which helped their +- a lot. (what I mean by this is that it seemed that everything was going their way)

-He's probably playing against weak opposition

-The team played most of its games against weak teams too

I'm guessing he'll end the year with around 20 points and a +- that's a bit over 0.

Offensive players don't get "lucky" goals, they know where to go and when to shoot.

AllanMTL46 02-17-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roulin (Post 59909247)
that 1088 pdo is going to come down to earth, bringing the +/- with it - for one, there's no way price/budaj (bruce?) keeps up a .952 es save% when he's on the ice - but the fact that we have an 18 year old with the talent to keep his head above water in the nhl is fantastic.

19 ;).

ErnieLeafs 02-17-2013 09:39 PM

Is he playing primarily center, or on the wing?

I was sure he was playing in the middle, and has when i've seen him, but others are saying otherwise...

Marc the Habs Fan 02-17-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs (Post 59933927)
Is he playing primarily center, or on the wing?

I was sure he was playing in the middle, and has when i've seen him, but others are saying otherwise...

Center, but at times Prust or a guy like Eller has taken faceoffs instead, which may be why some are saying otherwise.

ErnieLeafs 02-17-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan (Post 59935033)
Center, but at times Prust or a guy like Eller has taken faceoffs instead, which may be why some are saying otherwise.

Kudos on a great prospect, as long as he stays healthy, you have a dandy.

DAChampion 02-18-2013 05:54 AM

Galchenyuk's Corsi Rel Qoc is +0.138, he's actually facing harder opposition than David Desharnais (-0.191) and Ryan White (-0.293).

However, he's starting an unreal 62% of his zone starts in the offensive zone, compared to 52% for Desharnais and 44% for Plekanec.

With that said, Kudos to Therrien for having the intellectual acuity to manage a promising rookie's minutes, and kudos to Galchenyuk for taking advantage of the situation.

Athlétique_Canadien 02-18-2013 08:49 AM

I've watched every game & have paid VERY close attention to #27. I also record them & watch them again. I actually freeze the action when he's playing to look at impressive plays & tendencies. I see some comments here like Price & Budaj's numbers helping him & to expect his numbers to drop. On the contrary, Chucky's defensive zone work is impressive. He's always going an excellent job watching the back door. Also, he's demonstrated an impressive ability to keep the puck along the boards when the opportunity presents itself for him to move away from the slot defensively. When Gallagher & Prust were with him, there were many a time when that line got bogged down in their own zone. However, under these conditions Chucky has still been very consistent watching out for any back door sneak attacks in the slot. He also gets back in a hurry. The last game against Philly, he was attacking & the puck came our way & was shot into our corner for a Philly change. Before our D's were even on it, Chucky beat them to it, made it back & cleared the blueline. So, I've noticed an impressive consistency that DEMONSTRATES that these numbers are not a fluke & I don't see them dropping anytime soon. Yes it's true the goalies are shutting the door but when Chucky is in the D zone, he's preventing shots against - PERIOD!

HabsProspectsExpert 02-18-2013 01:27 PM

Galchenyuk for MVP :yo: