HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Speculation: The Bergenheim Situation (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1353131)

CanadianPanther 02-17-2013 08:14 PM

The Bergenheim Situation

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=...ng&w=350&h=254

I don't know of a thread relating to this topic so I'm hoping someone has news on this guy. :help:

Where is he?
Any news on the medical greivance?
Do you think he will play this year?
Is his relationship with this organization finished?
How much is he missed?

angry_treefrog 02-17-2013 08:18 PM

I've heard he's out for the year but no official word.

Sadly I suspect he's played his last game as a Panther.

IMO, he & Goc were our best forwards in the playoffs last year.

We could really use him this year.

adam graves 02-17-2013 08:20 PM

A not spoken often enuf reason for our early struggles...

angry_treefrog 02-17-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam graves (Post 59929003)
A not spoken often enuf reason for our early struggles...

It sure doesn't help.

Injuries and poor conditioning sunk the season before it started.

Anyone remember how I was hoping the season would be cancelled? Well, at least we'll get a better draft pick. :dunno:

AaronEkbald 02-17-2013 08:27 PM

Is the organization mistreating Bergenheim or is he just following an ordinary procedure?

Ghoste 02-17-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angry_treefrog (Post 59928907)
I've heard he's out for the year but no official word.

Sadly I suspect he's played his last game as a Panther.

IMO, he & Goc were our best forwards in the playoffs last year.

We could really use him this year.

I can understand that he might be lost for this season but he'd still have two more years left on his contract. Why would you think he is done as a Panther?

-ghoste

Benched 02-17-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts (Post 59929395)
Is the organization mistreating Bergenheim or is he just following an ordinary procedure?

How are the Panthers mistreating him? He was hurt overseas.

Ghoste 02-17-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benched (Post 59929915)
How are the Panthers mistreating him? He was hurt overseas.

He just asked a question. He didn't make a statement.

-ghoste

angry_treefrog 02-17-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoste (Post 59929833)
I can understand that he might be lost for this season but he'd still have two more years left on his contract. Why would you think he is done as a Panther?

-ghoste

If he wants out Tallon will accommodate him.

pantherbot 02-17-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts (Post 59929395)

as far as i know, bergenheim chose to have his own doctors. he was hurt during the lockout, so he can (and has been) suspended without pay until he is medically cleared to play. since he is being treated on his own and is suspended by the team, he does not have to tell them where he is, what he is doing, or how he is progressing.

other players who were hurt during the lockout chose to use the panthers' medical staff, so we knew what they were up to and how they were progressing, but they were also suspended without pay.

Benched 02-17-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantherbot (Post 59930987)
as far as i know, bergenheim chose to have his own doctors. he was hurt during the lockout, so he can (and has been) suspended without pay until he is medically cleared to play. since he is being treated on his own and is suspended by the team, he does not have to tell them where he is, what he is doing, or how he is progressing.

other players who were hurt during the lockout chose to use the panthers' medical staff, so we knew what they were up to and how they were progressing, but they were also suspended without pay.

Looking at where we are with injuries and conditioning, it's probably better for him that he didn't choose our medical staff.

Blad Meaning Gud 02-17-2013 11:01 PM

I miss Bergy-Goc-Sammy

p9ers 02-18-2013 01:52 AM

The third line could really used him, he's really good defensively

CoolburnIsGone 02-18-2013 07:53 AM

I think he's probably still over in Finland until the grievance is resolved.

No word yet on the grievance but the details are pretty much that he was checked out prior to the lockout and the Panthers medical staff at the time gave him a clean bill to play if the season started in October. Once the lock out started, he went over to Finland to play and apparently re-aggravated an injury that was from last yr in the playoffs. When examined by his doctors, they told him he should've never been cleared to play in the first place. The 2 part grievance is basically that 1. he should've been paid during the lockout since it was an injury from last yr and 2. that he should not be suspended now because of re-aggravating that injury because he should've never been playing to start with.

No I dont think he will play this yr based on comments on these boards from people closer to him. He needs surgery and because of the grievance, he's not able to even get that until its resolved. By the time he does have the surgery, then he'll have to rehab & with a shorted season, its not enough time anyway to get him back in the lineup.

His relationship with the org is definitely a question mark. I'm not sure whether its over or not. I think it would depend on how the grievance is resolved TBH. If its proven that the Panthers medical staff was wrong, then I think they'll do what they can to repair the injury and the relationship. If Bergy is proven wrong, then it could be a negative to the org and I can definitely see Tallon thinking about moving him once he's healthy. I'm thinking right now that it will be the latter situation and Bergy is probably gone once he's healthy again.

He's definitely missed cause we could use his defensive play right now among the forwards. That 3rd line last yr was very good with him helping to shut down opposing forwards. His offense last yr was just a bonus so I dont think that is as missed this yr, especially now that another scoring line has emerged.

SoupyFIN 02-18-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolburn (Post 59947401)
I think he's probably still over in Finland until the grievance is resolved.

Nope, he flew to Florida right after his lockout contract with HIFK was terminated mutually.

Laus723 02-18-2013 08:52 AM

I hope it gets resolved and he's able to return to the lineup ASAP (start of next season), he's a great 3rd liner and is missed. All that Coolburn described AND his pestiness and ability to score. He's one of my favorites, I'll not be happy if he's moved out.

CanadianPanther 02-18-2013 08:53 AM

I'm just hoping this situation can be resolved and we can keep him in a Panther uniform. Thank you ALL for the insight, I feel he is missed in the lineup this year without a doubt.

I'd love to see him on a line with Matthias and Skille OR Goc and Skille. That would be a legit 3rd line for us. Very up tempo crew who have chipped in offensively as of late and can be the spark to energize the team when our players feet arent moving.

One thing I love about Skille is he never stops skating, he loves to work hard and hit the dirty areas with tons of speed and physicality. His offensive skills seem to be getting better every couple games. I'd like to see him re-signed for 2 years in the off-season, maybe a 2yr-$3 million deal. $1.5million isnt breaking the bank for a guy with his style of play. Bergenheim is alot like Skille in they bring energy, speed, aggressive forecheck and display an awesome work ethic while getting 10-20pts a year.

Come back BERGY!!!! Get well soon!!!

Laus723 02-23-2013 08:58 AM

Friend who works for the Lightning said Bergenheim was at Thursday's game in Tampa. Said he looked perfectly fine and I believe was with Dom Moore.

I'm sure Tallon knows where he is, the friggin Lightning do. He may not be healthy just because he looked good, but this gets worse the longer it goes, IMO. I really like him, and maybe they just have to deal with the grievance process, but wtf?

Beezer 02-23-2013 05:54 PM

I miss Bergy too. Was my favorite Panther last season!

PBPantherfan 02-23-2013 08:05 PM

Wonder if the Panthers can toll the contract or just let it count so next year he would have either 2 or 3 years left. Of course if he is pissed at the team not sure why you would want to force the extra year on him.

Panthers Rock 03-01-2013 04:21 PM

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 0s
Actually, FLA must pay Bergenheim's salary/medical expenses during lockout as it was determined his injury was suffered prior to lockout.
R J h

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 0s
Sean Bergenheim has won grievance arbitration with FLA. That means FLA must pay injured player his salary dating back to start of season.

RainingRats 03-01-2013 04:21 PM

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Actually, FLA must pay Bergenheim's salary/medical expenses during lockout as it was determined his injury was suffered prior to lockout.
Expand

Retweet
Favorite
More

3 mins Bob McKenzie Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Sean Bergenheim has won grievance arbitration with FLA. That means FLA must pay injured player his salary dating back to start of season.

Panthers Rock 03-01-2013 04:22 PM

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 33s
Bergenheim will miss rest of season, expected to have surgery for hip/lower abdominal issues. But will get full pay retroactive to lockout.

And he's out :(

pb1300 03-01-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthers Rock (Post 60751037)
Bergenheim will miss rest of season, expected to have surgery for hip/lower abdominal issues. But will get full pay retroactive to lockout.

At least we know exactly what is going on. I just hope both he and the team can settle this and move on, because having a 3rd line of him, Goc, and Kopecky would be huge for us next season. That would probably be one of the better 3rd lines in the league.

PantherboyHTR 03-01-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthers Rock (Post 60751037)

I wonder if this whole grievance situation was figured out earlier, would surgery have taken place sooner? If so would he have been able to play this season??

I guess we may never know now. It seems like the lockout had a big part of this whole ordeal.

Man I wish we had him out there this year. This team could use all the up-tempo energy we can get most nights.