HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   All this equipment necessary? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1353871)

JohnZ622 02-18-2013 05:30 PM

All this equipment necessary?
 
Hi all,

I've played street hockey for years and switched to ice recently and absolutely love it. The only annoying thing is the amount of equipment that has to be carried to every game.

I've played at a beginner's clinic games before and I found that I didn't fall at all and only took one weak wrist shot on the shin pad. Do you think it is necessary to wear full equipment for this situation?

Also at a shinny hockey game, I wore nothing except for gloves and helmets and had no problem. Although my knees hurt a little bit from falling twice (I'm 28 btw).

So when is it safe to play without shoulder pad & hockey pants? Those two pieces of equipment force me to use a large hockey bag as opposed to my normal gym bag.

I also found elbow pads to be pretty useless so far.

Thanks

Hendricks433 02-18-2013 06:17 PM

I would always wear shins with out a doubt and pants for that matter. Shoulders are completely up to you and I wouldn't play with out elbows but I know a few people who never play with them even in their lower level leagues and have never had a problem.

Trl3789 02-18-2013 06:21 PM

I tend to think that they all are necessary. I hadn't fallen once this season up until a couple of weeks ago. I got taken out (Complete accident) and went shoulder first into the boards. Grade 2 AC joint separation, even with shoulder pads. For me its not that i'm worried i would fall, its that someone else might make a mistake at my expense. You don't think they're important until the one time you need them, then you regret making the decision not to wear them.

CoopALoop 02-18-2013 06:21 PM

Oh God.

The only thing that could be seen as non mandatory are shoulder pads. You'd be stupid to play regularly without anything else. Or an extremely noneffective player.

Part of the sport is the gear. If you're too opposed to carry-ing a bag, invest a nice rolling bag.

But trust me, you'll want the protection from the lower half, the elbows and the head. It's only a matter of time until you get hurt by not wearing pads.

Primrose Everdeen 02-18-2013 06:24 PM

Shin guards are a must in my opinion. I wouldn't dream of playing without them. Pants I wouldn't play without but sometimes I see people playing without them at late night pickups. Elbows are pretty useful, but I don't care for shoulder pads since I don't play checking hockey. Don't personally care for any face protection either but I leave the ear guards in on my helmet.

Also, if you play without a cup you're just asking for trouble.

JohnZ622 02-18-2013 06:33 PM

Anyone ever blocked a shot on the quads without hockey pants? I blocked a weak wristy on bare shins and it wasn't bad. No bruising or anything. Some beginner kid didn't really have good lifting control.

Hendricks433 02-18-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnZ622 (Post 59982277)
Anyone ever blocked a shot on the quads without hockey pants? I blocked a weak wristy on bare shins and it wasn't bad. No bruising or anything. Some beginner kid didn't really have good lifting control.

I took a kind of hard wrist shot off my shin with One80's and it stung quite a bit. Can't imagine not having shins, thats really crazy imo. Is it really that terrible to wear pants and shins? :amazed:

JohnZ622 02-18-2013 07:13 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

After reading about shot blocking bruises & injuries (i like shot blocking), I am now definitely going to don the full gear when playing a game where there's a goalie.

For shinny, I'll use shin pad.

Not Threadworthy 02-18-2013 07:13 PM

Yes it is. It's always about the other person- you never know what they are going to do, by accident or on purpose. Plus, you might as well get used to wearing it now if you ever want to play in a league.

Hank4Hart 02-18-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnZ622 (Post 59979215)
The only annoying thing is the amount of equipment that has to be carried to every game.

I don't mean to be rude... but as a goalie I stopped reading after this.

Ozz 02-18-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnZ622 (Post 59982277)
Anyone ever blocked a shot on the quads without hockey pants? I blocked a weak wristy on bare shins and it wasn't bad. No bruising or anything. Some beginner kid didn't really have good lifting control.

I primarily play inline and used to not wear anything covering my quads. I'd stopped a couple pucks to the thighs but this one dude put a full slap blazer directly into me once. I was black, blue, and yellow for almost 2 months. I picked up a girdle w/quad padding shortly after, though I still don't always wear it. I still block shots a lot, but thankfully nothing has done as much damage in a while. I've also caught them to the torso but I still don't wear upper body protection since we don't play full contact anyway.

I wear shins, elbows & pants even when I play stick & puck on the ice. Just the other day one guy went to stop and somehow ended up nearly doing a cartwheel and throwing his stick about 10 feet. You never know when you could lose your balance or possibly have a stick thrown at you :laugh:

kr580 02-18-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnZ622 (Post 59982277)
Anyone ever blocked a shot on the quads without hockey pants? I blocked a weak wristy on bare shins and it wasn't bad. No bruising or anything. Some beginner kid didn't really have good lifting control.

I've played a couple pickups against a guy that played Junior A then NCAA II. I once blocked his easy going wrist shot square on my shinpads. It sent a sharp pain thru my shin. No way I'd step in front of any shot without full gear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnZ622 (Post 59979215)
I also found elbow pads to be pretty useless so far.

Let me know how you like those floating bone chips in your elbow after you take one fall on them.

Thesensation19 02-18-2013 08:51 PM

Its all pretty necessary when ever your playing with multiple people even in open. You never know what will happen. I didnt bring a cup, never get hit there and I figure myself good enough to protect myself from a shot or accident there. The pants are pretty protective, the glove by its side... the odds are slim.

And the ONE GAME I didnt wear it. AI deflected a pass and the puck tipped... JUST TIPPED... my *****. I was down like Kennedy. Done for 10 minutes. On the bench. And no one gave me any sympathy. Why wasnt I wearing equipment?

I suggest all of the standard equipment. Visor At a minimum though I dont always do at open hockey. But if you have a choice you should wear a visor and all the standards. Saying you dont want to carry it is weak. Carrying a bag full of equipment makes us strong.

Past open hockey, I would even suggest a mouthguard. And depending on your skating, I would HIGHLY reccomend neck guards. You never know.

Wilch 02-18-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnZ622 (Post 59979215)
Hi all,

I've played street hockey for years and switched to ice recently and absolutely love it. The only annoying thing is the amount of equipment that has to be carried to every game.

I've played at a beginner's clinic games before and I found that I didn't fall at all and only took one weak wrist shot on the shin pad. Do you think it is necessary to wear full equipment for this situation?

Also at a shinny hockey game, I wore nothing except for gloves and helmets and had no problem. Although my knees hurt a little bit from falling twice (I'm 28 btw).

So when is it safe to play without shoulder pad & hockey pants? Those two pieces of equipment force me to use a large hockey bag as opposed to my normal gym bag.

I also found elbow pads to be pretty useless so far.

Thanks

Of course you find them useless. You haven't been hit by a hard shot or a slash in an unprotected area yet.

I don't know how many times my equipment has saved me from certain death. Pretty much everything aside from my shoulder and elbow pads has taken a serious beating before.

Even if you decide to be a completely useless pylon on the ice, avoiding shot blocks, boards and any kind of contact, you're still bound to get hit by a stray puck or some doofus who can't skate or keep their stick grounded.

If you love hockey, which I'm sure anyone who has played do, the bulky equipment is a burden you put up with.

Royal Canuck 02-18-2013 08:53 PM

Just wear gear, you're 28 right? you need all 4 of your limbs to work and be productive.

No point in fracturing your elbow and putting yourself out of commisson for rec hockey.

There are more important things in life and staying safe while playing hockey is huge.

JohnZ622 02-18-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozz (Post 59989853)
I primarily play inline and used to not wear anything covering my quads. I'd stopped a couple pucks to the thighs but this one dude put a full slap blazer directly into me once. I was black, blue, and yellow for almost 2 months. I picked up a girdle w/quad padding shortly after, though I still don't always wear it. I still block shots a lot, but thankfully nothing has done as much damage in a while. I've also caught them to the torso but I still don't wear upper body protection since we don't play full contact anyway.


Is the inline puck as heavy as the ice puck?

JohnZ622 02-18-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thesensation19 (Post 59993357)
Past open hockey, I would even suggest a mouthguard. And depending on your skating, I would HIGHLY reccomend neck guards. You never know.

What neck guard do you recommend? I tried one on (forgot the name) and I couldn't even bend my neck down.

kr580 02-18-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnZ622 (Post 59994285)
Is the inline puck as heavy as the ice puck?

Heavy enough to hurt.

Hendricks433 02-18-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnZ622 (Post 59994285)
Is the inline puck as heavy as the ice puck?

Not as heavy but does damage. I was an idiot when I was in middle school and played goalie for our roller hockey team for 5-6 years. I wouldnt wear a cup, luckily I never got hit in the nuts other than a couple of thigh shots. All because I had a crappy cup that did not fit right at all. I will make sure if I ever have kids and they play hockey that they get proper fitting equipment.

Ozz 02-18-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnZ622 (Post 59994285)
Is the inline puck as heavy as the ice puck?

They're close if not equal, but I feel the inline puck hits harder since it's plastic instead of rubber. If I had my choice I'd rather not get hit by either :laugh:

The Tikkanen 02-18-2013 09:38 PM

Buy a hockey bag, you're not going to the gym, you're going to play hockey.

nhindian 02-18-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hendricks433 (Post 59995631)
Not as heavy but does damage. I was an idiot when I was in middle school and played goalie for our roller hockey team for 5-6 years. I wouldnt wear a cup, luckily I never got hit in the nuts other than a couple of thigh shots. All because I had a crappy cup that did not fit right at all. I will make sure if I ever have kids and they play hockey that they get proper fitting equipment.

Wtf???? Goalie without a cup??

Hendricks433 02-18-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhindian (Post 59999553)
Wtf???? Goalie without a cup??

Yea, I was young and didnt really know better. The cup I had was super wide and drove me crazy to wear, thought all cups were that way for some reason. I was only 11 or 12 at the time. :(

Lonny Bohonos 02-18-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnZ622 (Post 59982277)
Anyone ever blocked a shot on the quads without hockey pants? I blocked a weak wristy on bare shins and it wasn't bad. No bruising or anything. Some beginner kid didn't really have good lifting control.

No I havent blocked a shot on my quads with out pads while playing hockey but I did play Lacrosse up to JrA and I have taken lacrosse balls off my legs.

Last game (hockey) i took a wrist shot off my hamstring from a team mate and I have a nice palm sized deep purplish bruise to show for it.


Quote:

Originally Posted by kr580 (Post 59991921)
I've played a couple pickups against a guy that played Junior A then NCAA II. I once blocked his easy going wrist shot square on my shinpads. It sent a sharp pain thru my shin. No way I'd step in front of any shot without full gear.


Let me know how you like those floating bone chips in your elbow after you take one fall on them.

I had those in both my elbows from minor hockey days. Basically getting hit and smashing my elbows down on the dasher with my elbows pads having ridden up or down my arm.

Elbow pads are a must.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Hendricks433 (Post 59995631)
Not as heavy but does damage. I was an idiot when I was in middle school and played goalie for our roller hockey team for 5-6 years. I wouldnt wear a cup, luckily I never got hit in the nuts other than a couple of thigh shots. All because I had a crappy cup that did not fit right at all. I will make sure if I ever have kids and they play hockey that they get proper fitting equipment.

Have taken a puck off that area but lacrosse balls with a cup on yes. Hurt a ton so Id not like to know what it would be like without one.

reecardo 02-18-2013 11:38 PM

Impact shorts, Shin pads, and gloves
 
I will admit I do not wear a girdle or a helmet to shinny or open skates. I do however wear impact shorts and shin pads, with a pair of skate/warmup pants and a jersey on top for shinney. At stick & pucks or pickup I wear full gear. Glad I did today, had a 130# kid take my legs out from under me at a stick & shoot, he was skating backwards blind at top speed. Without the gear, would have missed the league game tonight for sure. The bag is a pain, but significantly less painful then the alternative.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.