HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The Comcast broadcasting crew thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1354255)

Ryker 02-19-2013 01:11 AM

The Comcast broadcasting crew thread

I thought it would be nice to have a thread about the Comcast broadcasting crew, with the ever-so-lovable Coatsey, Clement, Jackson and Jonesy. We could discuss all things related to broadcasts and those guys here, and hopefully create a repository of to-become-legendary Coatsey quotes.

I actually think they're doing a pretty good job making the games fun to watch besides just the action going on. Jackson can be annoying sometimes with all the jabs, but in general it's all good. It's too bad that Clement and Jones can't be on at the same time, and it's hard to say which of those I prefer as a sidekick to Jackson. Clement is priceless when drawing comparisons between Knuble and a mountain goat, but Jones is all fun all the time, as well.

Anyways, from today's game, Coatsey's "I'm just here to have a good time" was pretty memorable :) And I always laugh at that intro sequence where Jackson and Jones introduce the teams, and then Coatsey talks about the other team. I can't believe how he still can't ever nail down the transition to "don't go away, it's the Philadelphia Flyers and...", he's always just rambling and making a mess of that.

Oh, and by the way, did anyone catch that joke Jones made at the end of the third period when they showed Giroux scoring the first goal? I thought he said Giroux was money early, but I wasn't sure whether I heard that right, and if yes, whether the play on mighty early was supposed to what this was all about. If so, it wasn't as funny as they made it out to be :laugh:

So yeah, what are your thoughts on those guys? And if you have any good past quotes, here's where you should post them ;) Same with the new ones as we go along.

LegionOfDoom91 02-19-2013 01:22 AM

I like Jones and Clement. Jackson's ok I guess. Coatsey's a little too much of a homer for my liking.

Here's some clips from YouTube.

ihatebraydenschenn 02-19-2013 06:55 AM

"_____ with the SHOT!"

I love Bill Clement's horrible analogies and general idiocy.

I feel like Coatsey has been going senile for the past decade or more.

RJ8812 02-19-2013 08:50 AM

To be honest, I really don't mind our broadcasting crew. They do a real good job of not being too biased. You expect a certain amount of bias from commentators, but there are a few that are just terrible. All you have to do is listen to BOS, OTT, PIT, CBC and I'm sure there's a few others and you'll know what I'm talking about.

I will say that I prefer Clement doing CC over Jones though. Our radio crew is pretty good as well.

Coatsey is also pretty entertaining when he's wasted

FreshPerspective 02-19-2013 09:08 AM

Meh....kind of apathetic but they could be worse. I just don't like when they are not objective enough and are blatantly trying to be apologists when certain players (cough cough..Leighton) are just blatantly off their games.

I'm just glad Dorny is gone b/c that dude was the biggest goaltending apologist ever. Every goal on the Flyers goalie was the result of a "screen." :laugh: So annoying!

BrimFullofAsham45 02-19-2013 09:54 AM

Bill Clement is legendary. One of the best colormen in the game and was elated when he joined the Flyers team.

I used to like Jones but I feel he has gotten too "big" as an NBC guy. Never thought he filled Dorny's shoes. Honestly wouldn't mind if he left for NBC full time and we brought in Bundy.

Can't complain about Jackson, always thought he was a good, but not great, pxp guy.

Finally, it wouldn't be a flyers broadcast without Coatesy but my god he is an idiot. It gets harder and harder to listen to him every season. At least they canned coatesy's corner.

DrinkFightFlyers 02-19-2013 09:57 AM

You really don't realize how good these guys are until you are stuck with Center Ice and hearing other announcers. There are some crews out there that are on the same level as the Comcast guys (NYR/NJ/NYI, Colorado, and a couple other), but a lot of these guys are awful (Washington, Pittsburgh, Florida, Dallas)

BrimFullofAsham45 02-19-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 60015163)
You really don't realize how good these guys are until you are stuck with Center Ice and hearing other announcers. There are some crews out there that are on the same level as the Comcast guys (NYR/NJ/NYI, Colorado, and a couple other), but a lot of these guys are awful (Washington, Pittsburgh, Florida, Dallas)

This. NHL commentators range from mediocre to godawful to Steigy and Errey.

Ychocky 02-19-2013 10:35 AM

I lived in Allentown when I was a kid and I was brought up listening to these guys.

Dornhoefer and Coates are legends in my eyes!

Coatsey's corner was silly and I loved it!

I moved to Canada in 2000 and am excited to watch a CSN feed when I can.

Ryker 02-19-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Yeah, throughout this season I've been lucky enough to always be able to watch the Comcast feed, but I had to go with Toronto's one for that game. The play by play was fine, but some of the commenting they did was terrible. Chastising Bryz for leaving the game with a smile on his face when he got pulled and outright laughing at some other thing he did (but that I now forget what it was) was just insane. And by watching the highlights from other games, you can also tell we're lucky that we're not stuck with some of the guys other teams have.

RJ8812 02-19-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

The Avs announcer is hilarious. He looses his **** when the Avs score, but when the other team scores, all he does is faintly say "scores"

DrinkFightFlyers 02-19-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 60017627)
The Avs announcer is hilarious. He looses his **** when the Avs score, but when the other team scores, all he does is faintly say "scores"

Yeah he's one of the good ones (both guys are really, and I think there is a third guy they rotate in from time to time too). I try to watch as much WC games as I can to get my money's worth on this Center Ice deal, and I seem to always watch the Avs for some reason. No complaints about their broadcasters.

Mgkibbles 02-19-2013 11:35 AM

Bill Clement is my favorite color commentator.

I love Jonesy as an analyst. But not as a color guy.

Jackson isn't good, isn't bad either.

And I hope Coatsey goes the way of the Dodo bird.

JDinkalage Morgoone 02-19-2013 11:41 AM

As said before, watch Center Ice with opposing feeds and you'll think our guys are good. Back before you could choose a feed, I'd get stuck with some awful, awful commentators (see: PITT) and it definitely heightened my appreciation.

One thing I can't stand though is when I hear Timmeh saying dumb stuff on Daily News Live. That is awful.

DrinkFightFlyers 02-19-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgkibbles (Post 60019459)
Bill Clement is my favorite color commentator.

I love Jonesy as an analyst. But not as a color guy.

Jackson isn't good, isn't bad either.

And I hope Coatsey goes the way of the Dodo bird.

Whaaaaaat? Coatsey is hilarious. Also Jackson is pretty good as a play-by-play guy. Not really sure what more you could want from him.

FreshPerspective 02-19-2013 11:46 AM

Bill Clement I do like.....LISA HILLARY I DO NOT when she fills in for Barkann or Boruk. She parrots stupid general assertions and just looks like an unpleasant Beyotch. She is good looking for her age but just seems like a broad with a tude...

Amy "funbags" Fadool I like...looks wise at least but she's not bad professionally.

Mgkibbles 02-19-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 60019857)
Whaaaaaat? Coatsey is hilarious. Also Jackson is pretty good as a play-by-play guy. Not really sure what more you could want from him.

Oh believe me. I realize we could do worse than Jackson. Like you said in your other post, some of the guys around the league are putrid. But Jackson is still just meh to me.

And I really HATE Coatsey. The only time I laugh at conversations Coatsey is involved in is when Jones blatantly mocks him.

FreshPerspective 02-19-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 60019857)
Also Jackson is pretty good as a play-by-play guy. Not really sure what more you could want from him.

Some sideburns maybe? :sarcasm:

DrinkFightFlyers 02-19-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgkibbles (Post 60020021)
Oh believe me. I realize we could do worse than Jackson. Like you said in your other post, some of the guys around the league are putrid. But Jackson is still just meh to me.

And I really HATE Coatsey. The only time I laugh at conversations Coatsey is involved in is when Jones blatantly mocks him.

Fair enough. It's all opinion really. I think they are top notch. I can't believe you don't like Coatsey though. I haven't seen Coatsey's Corner all season and it has really bummed me out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt (Post 60020065)
Some sideburns maybe? :sarcasm:

Grrrrr

Phunhog 02-19-2013 01:11 PM

Does anybody really think the jabs Jackson, Coatsey & Jones throw at each other are funny? If so, I got some Jeff Dunham tickets for you.

Replace Coatsey with Bundy and replace Jones with Clement permanently. Finally, give Tim Saunders the PxP.

FlyersFan61290 02-19-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 (Post 60015053)
Bill Clement is legendary. One of the best colormen in the game and was elated when he joined the Flyers team.

I used to like Jones but I feel he has gotten too "big" as an NBC guy. Never thought he filled Dorny's shoes. Honestly wouldn't mind if he left for NBC full time and we brought in Bundy.

Can't complain about Jackson, always thought he was a good, but not great, pxp guy.

Finally, it wouldn't be a flyers broadcast without Coatesy but my god he is an idiot. It gets harder and harder to listen to him every season. At least they canned coatesy's corner.

Same on all fronts

PhillyFlying 02-19-2013 02:42 PM

i think jackson's a great pbp guy. he rarely makes a mistake or calls something differently than it happens. can't say the same for most other pbp guys, especially doc emrick who will jumble names a handful of times a game. he's got a good knowledge of hockey and the NHL and he's got a good voice for it. he's a bit of a homer but he always gives respect to the other team when it's deserved. i think he'd do well on national tv.

jones is a good analyst and a competent color guy but he's nothing compared to clement.

coatsey is senile and distracting. i'm (ABSOLUTELY) looking right over his shoulder

DrinkFightFlyers 02-19-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 (Post 60015053)

WHATTTT??!?!?!?! I don't get Comcast anymore so I had no idea! THIS IS DEVASTATING! (not sarcastic)

Mgkibbles 02-19-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 60029423)
WHATTTT??!?!?!?! I don't get Comcast anymore so I had no idea! THIS IS DEVASTATING! (not sarcastic)

Ya, hasn't been on since 2010-2011 season I think.

Phunhog 02-19-2013 04:12 PM

We need Bundy on TV. His talents are being wasted on radio. Can we start a BundyVision drive?