HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   News Article: February 19 - Looch back - but 7 w/flu symptoms (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1354393)

Gee Wally 02-19-2013 10:44 AM

February 19 - Looch back - but 7 w/flu symptoms

Milan Lucic back at Bruins practice, but 7 sit out
WILMINGTON -- Milan Lucic has taken the ice for Bruins practice this morning at Ristuccia Arena, but seven of his teammates will miss the workout because of flu-like symptoms.
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...lucic_bac.html

Bruins visit Newtown to bring smiles and the Stanley Cup
After surviving a few hairy final seconds against the Jets Sunday night, and flying back from Winnipeg for a wee-hours arrival, seven Bruins and Coach Claude Julien hopped on another plane Monday afternoon for a short flight that they hoped would make long-lasting memories.

Andrew Ference, Tyler Seguin, Dougie Hamilton, Rich Peverley, Chris Bourque, Adam McQuaid, and Daniel Paille all boarded Jeremy Jacobs' private plane bound for Newtown, Conn., site of the December shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School that left dead 26 students, teachers, and educators, and a community the Bruins wanted to help in its healing.

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/o...anley-cup.html

Bruins may not be overpowering, but they're winning
They’ve been far more solid than spectacular, much more even-keeled than exciting. As a result, the Bruins have acquired their share of doubters.

No surprise, really. Strong and sturdy never sells like sexy sells.

Some question whether the Bruins are as good as their 9-2-2 record because hardly any of the victories are “convincing.” Without looking closely at the Bruins’ schedule or the NHL standings, critics add “Sure, that’s a nice record, but they haven’t played anybody yet.”

http://www.patriotledger.com/sports/...theyre-winning

Tyler Seguin finally turns on the Jets .
“You look at (the goal), and you look at the backcheck he made when he had his stick down to break up the play. That’s what he’s capable of doing,” said Julien. “He’s a good player and he’s still a young player. He just needs to build confidence.

“Wanting to do that night in and night out, you have to be willing to put the work in and then all of a sudden the skill kicks in. I thought he responded well in a game when we needed him to.”

The backcheck helped build a little personal momentum, too.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruin...ns_on_the_jets

ODAAT 02-19-2013 10:49 AM

Was the "personal reasons" for flying back Infant related??? Hope all is well if so

22Brad Park 02-19-2013 10:53 AM

Thanks love reading these.

northeastern 02-19-2013 10:53 AM

7 players sick... that sucks. Luckily they have a few days to get healthy.

Get some airborne

BrainOfJ 02-19-2013 11:04 AM

Glad its not only me suffering through this garbage:laugh: hopefully they get better soon

VeddarRants 02-19-2013 11:08 AM

You should never get the flu shot.

Artemis 02-19-2013 11:17 AM

Went to practice this morning and noticed everyone had their water bottles marked.

Bourque had a white jersey with Lucic and Krejci, Pevs was in gold with Seguin and Marchand, everyone else in merlot.

Ladyfan 02-19-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeddarRants (Post 60018311)

I don't.

Knock on wood but everyone I work with has been sick this winter...except me. They all got the flu shot.

C77 02-19-2013 11:26 AM

Thanks for the links Wally.

I think The Patriot Ledger article nicely sums up the season so far.

I think the Bruins are winning for a few reasons; they've been together for a relatively long time, they are healthy, they stick to their system, and they work really hard.

Every team has their question marks and most teams have more than the Bruins...For the B's...

I'm not sure about Horton's effectiveness. He had the nice goal against Carolina but otherwise I'm not very impressed. What will he do going forward?

Chara hasn't played as well as we're accustomed to and Seidenberg seems a step slower.

The referees are calling everything in sight it seems and that benefits the faster skating teams which I wouldn't say the Bruins are one of. The Bruins don't draw penalties and then of course there has been that issue with the powerplay.

ReggieMoto 02-19-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeddarRants (Post 60018311)

I *ALWAYS* get a flu shot. It has appeared to have done its job for me.

Quaider* 02-19-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReggieMoto (Post 60019133)
I *ALWAYS* get a flu shot. It has appeared to have done its job for me.

I always do, too. I haven't even had a cold for years.

VeddarRants 02-19-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladyfan (Post 60018719)
I don't.

Knock on wood but everyone I work with has been sick this winter...except me. They all got the flu shot.

You are awesome, thank you for being awake and aware :handclap:

It's also not just about the flu either. The things they put in flu shots can lead to other forms of ailments:

Quote:

Dr Hugh Fudenberg, a world leading immunogeneticist, has extensively studied the effects of the flu vaccine on neurological health. The results of his research indicate that an individual has a ten time greater chance of getting Alzheimerís disease after receiving five flu shots in the course of their life compared to individuals who have had zero to one shot in their lifetime.
And then there's this:

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/in...swine-flu-shot

There's a lot more, but to gather them all up would take up way too much of my time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReggieMoto (Post 60018719)
I *ALWAYS* get a flu shot. It has appeared to have done its job for me

There's a strong reason why over 60 percent of doctors don't get flu shots themselves.

Flu vaccines offer no guarantee of protection due to the wide variety of viral flu strains. There is no single virus that causes the flu and there is no single flu vaccine that protects against all strains. Scientists take an educated guess as to what three of over 300 different flu viruses they expect to have the greatest virulence in the upcoming year. The vaccine is then formulated from these 3 viruses.

When you get the flu vaccine your body produces anti-bodies to three specific strains of the virus. So you basically have a 3 out of 300 chance (1%) of being vaccinated for the proper viral strain. Additionally, the viruses are always adapting and may change form by the time you are exposed.

Even if you are fortunate enough to receive a vaccine for the proper strain of virus it will be useless if your body hasnít produced a full response (which takes 2 weeks) or if there is too much time (over 3 months) between vaccine and viral exposure. The virus may have adapted over time to create a structure the body fails to recognize.

The vaccine will also be useless if your body dosenít produce enough of a response or too damaging a response due to high levels of viral exposure & poor immune coordination. The immune system could be acting blindly due to high sugar intake, low vitamin D3 levels, damaged gut lining and upper cervical subluxations among other things.

If you really want to increase your chance of not getting the flu? Up your intake of vitamin D.

Bi Coastal Bawse* 02-19-2013 11:55 AM

2/3 of my friends kids have autism or autistic tendencies so she is now firmly against shots and vaccines.

I got a flu shot awhile ago didnt want to get it.

Neely08 02-19-2013 12:03 PM

Thanks, Wally. Always appreciated you doing this.

Ledger article is valid to me. I guess I'm in the camp that's unsure where they're at. They've dominated at times, imposed their system and dictated play, as you would expect. But, there has indeed been a lot of close games. With this team and their system, they look the same playing the Isles as they do the rags, or NJ.

If they want to be tops dogs they have to string some wins together. Not to mention not lose to teams they had beat, like Buffalo.

Gee Wally 02-19-2013 12:08 PM

Milan Lucic: Personal reason brought me home

Lucic was back on the ice for Tuesday's practice at Ristuccia Arena, and echoed the team's announcement why he wasn't able to play Sunday, declining to offer details.

He did hint, however, that it was because of a family medical situation.

"Like Coach [Claude Julien] said and everyone said, it was personal reasons, and the good thing is everyone is home and healthy now, and thatís basically it," Lucic said. "It was a long last three couple days, flying to Winnipeg and flying all the way back as soon as I got out there. But like I said, everyone is happy and healthy, and thatís the main thing."

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...lucic_per.html

thats good news!

LSCII 02-19-2013 12:09 PM

Who's sick and what are they taking to remedy it? They're celebrities, so we have a right to know...:sarcasm:

Neely08 02-19-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSCII (Post 60021209)
Who's sick and what are they taking to remedy it? They're celebrities, so we have a right to know...:sarcasm:

Hopefully it's just that "1st kid thing" they're going through. I remember sitting in a er w/ my wife for hours on end when my son was an infant over a fever. Which as you know, they don't really treat at that age. I remember sitting there all night, the MD came back in after running blood, etc, we're hanging on his every word, and he simply says, "He has a little cold, he'll be ok".

:laugh: Duh.

WBC8 02-19-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neely08 (Post 60021829)
Hopefully it's just that "1st kid thing" they're going through. I remember sitting in a er w/ my wife for hours on end when my son was an infant over a fever. Which as you know, they don't really treat at that age. I remember sitting there all night, the MD came back in after running blood, etc, we're hanging on his every word, and he simply says, "He has a little cold, he'll be ok".

My daughter had a 106.3 fever her first month... I left work...I would expect athletes to do the same... You generally overreact in the beginning and thats a good thing..

BrainOfJ 02-19-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSCII (Post 60021209)

Lol Lonnie

Btw...I dont follow haggs, but I saw his tweet about lucic and how "theyre called personal reasons for a reason." Gave me such a good laugh. Thats the pot calling the kettle black if Ive ever seen it from old pal Simonetti.

Neely08 02-19-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 (Post 60021989)
My daughter had a 106.3 fever her first month... I left work...I would expect athletes to do the same... You generally overreact in the beginning and thats a good thing..

We sure did.

Daughter completely freaked us out when she was born. Long story, everything ended up fine, thank god.

After going through that, unless they're bleeding out the eyes or on fire, we're good!

VeddarRants 02-19-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neely08 (Post 60022631)
We sure did.

Daughter completely freaked us out when she was born. Long story, everything ended up fine, thank god.

After going through that, unless they're bleeding out the eyes or on fire, we're good!

that's great to hear... also good to hear Lucic's family is ok.

ODAAT 02-19-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artemis (Post 60018687)
Went to practice this morning and noticed everyone had their water bottles marked.

Bourque had a white jersey with Lucic and Krejci, Pevs was in gold with Seguin and Marchand, everyone else in merlot.

Marchand a skull and crossbone marking???:)

LSCII 02-19-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neely08 (Post 60021829)

Hahaha! First time parents worry about every little sniffle. Can't be helped, comes with the territory. We spent so many hours with the twins when they were newborns worrying about everything. :laugh:

LSCII 02-19-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrainOfJ (Post 60022065)
Lol Lonnie

Btw...I dont follow haggs, but I saw his tweet about lucic and how "theyre called personal reasons for a reason." Gave me such a good laugh. Thats the pot calling the kettle black if Ive ever seen it from old pal Simonetti.

Gotta have some laughs at this stuff, right?

It's really nothing more than a moving target for some of those media guys. When it works for them, they have zero issue being intrusive to a player about their personal life. When it's not, they act all high and mighty and condescend to the fans who want to know more...:laugh:

tragos 02-19-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C77 (Post 60019093)
Thanks for the links Wally.

I think The Patriot Ledger article nicely sums up the season so far.

I think the Bruins are winning for a few reasons; they've been together for a relatively long time, they are healthy, they stick to their system, and they work really hard.

Every team has their question marks and most teams have more than the Bruins...For the B's...

I'm not sure about Horton's effectiveness. He had the nice goal against Carolina but otherwise I'm not very impressed. What will he do going forward?

Chara hasn't played as well as we're accustomed to and Seidenberg seems a step slower.

The referees are calling everything in sight it seems and that benefits the faster skating teams which I wouldn't say the Bruins are one of. The Bruins don't draw penalties and then of course there has been that issue with the powerplay.

Agreed 100% on Horton, Chara, Seids. Hoping we don't see Horton next year. We know they can all do better, think it's least likely Horton steps it up on this team, but I'm sure we'll see him turn it on elsewhere.