HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New Jersey Devils (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Devils Defense (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1354455)

JrzDevil11 02-19-2013 11:48 AM

Devils Defense
 
What do you guys think about the defense? Is it solid? I look at Greene and Larsson being the best we have. Volchenkov and Tallinder constantly annoy the crap out of me. Fayne is a bit underrated and I'm not sure why Harrold doesn't get more of a chance.

Just interested in what people think....

Devils Dominion 02-19-2013 11:54 AM

Sal has disappointed too thus far. He was levels better last playoffs.

Aethon 02-19-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JrzDevil11 (Post 60020117)
What do you guys think about the defense? Is it solid? I look at Greene and Larsson being the best we have. Volchenkov and Tallinder constantly annoy the crap out of me. Fayne is a bit underrated and I'm not sure why Harrold doesn't get more of a chance.

Just interested in what people think....

I don't think it is good at all.

I think Tallinder and Volchenkov were mistakes the moment they were signed. I think Salvador is looking like the Salvador I expected last season, which only says to me that last year was more of an exception than the rule...Greene is solid and so is Fayne...Larrson is continuing to develop. I like Zidlicky for what he is, but defensively, whatever...

I think Tallinder, Volchenkov and Salvador are only slightly better than useless...And I know no one would agree with me, but out that pile of garbage Tallinder is far and away the best player of the bunch. Just my opinion.

Devils Dominion 02-19-2013 12:03 PM

I want Volch and Tallinder gone.
But, without Volch it leaves them a soft bunch.
His handling of the puck like a jumping bean is an accident waiting to happen every time though.

onefatsurfer 02-19-2013 12:04 PM

I think something needs to be done with the quantity of defensemen we have. I would like to use the logjam of d-men to upgrade the team, whether that upgrade be at forward or defense.

BrodeursCups 02-19-2013 12:12 PM

Been very impressed with greene-larsson. Aside from that not a lot to like about this group at the moment. Sal has been mediocre and the less said about volch the better. Fayne definitely needs to be playing....

It'll never happen with how many dmen we have, but I'd love to see gelinas get a quick look. He's a big mobile defender who has an absolute cannon and would bring an element to the blue line we lack in...

MartyOwns 02-19-2013 12:16 PM

i dont mind volch this year as much as i did the last. that being said, we can rest easy that in 3-4 years we may have one of the best d corps in the league if even half of our prospects pan out. but if, but still

CerebralGenesis 02-19-2013 12:16 PM

I wasn't a big fan of Salvador's contract when it got signed and I still think it is going to look very ugly in a year. But I was worried about the Green contract too and that turned out fine so what do I know?

Oroku Saki* 02-19-2013 12:20 PM

I think it's fine, we're just in a slump. They'll get their **** together. They might be playing too tight because they are afraid they might be next to sit.

The Green Unit 02-19-2013 12:28 PM

Besides Salvador, I'm ok with this defence and for the 1st time in years they are finally showing up on the scoreboard.

I find Zids overly criticized here, he's a fine offensive defence-man with very good shooting and passing skills, our PP has taken a great benefice of his presence. If he played the kind of defence people want him to play, he'd be a $6M cap-hit player. Let's have some more realistic expectations.
Nothing to add about Greene, Fayne and Larsson. They are getting enough love on already.


I'm more concerned by the lack of cohesion between forwards/defence-men and the recent inability to execute a well known system.

åboriginal 02-19-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KovyLove (Post 60020549)
I don't think it is good at all.

I think Tallinder and Volchenkov were mistakes the moment they were signed. I think Salvador is looking like the Salvador I expected last season, which only says to me that last year was more of an exception than the rule...Greene is solid and so is Fayne...Larrson is continuing to develop. I like Zidlicky for what he is, but defensively, whatever...

I think Tallinder, Volchenkov and Salvador are only slightly better than useless...And I know no one would agree with me, but out that pile of garbage Tallinder is far and away the best player of the bunch. Just my opinion.

fully agree. and about the last part, agreed as well. he has the speed edge over those pylons. and for all the hits i was expecting to see from volch on a nightly basis....i see more ****ups and blown clears. zids i really have no opinion on. hes just sorta....here.

apice3* 02-19-2013 12:47 PM

i dont think nearly enough people value how good our defense is. Its a ton better with fayne over tallinder, though

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* 02-19-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KovyLove (Post 60020549)
I don't think it is good at all.

I think Tallinder and Volchenkov were mistakes the moment they were signed. I think Salvador is looking like the Salvador I expected last season, which only says to me that last year was more of an exception than the rule...Greene is solid and so is Fayne...Larrson is continuing to develop. I like Zidlicky for what he is, but defensively, whatever...

I think Tallinder, Volchenkov and Salvador are only slightly better than useless...And I know no one would agree with me, but out that pile of garbage Tallinder is far and away the best player of the bunch. Just my opinion.

It's like you entered my mind and posted what I was thinking.

SPOT. ON.

Hockey Sports Fan 02-19-2013 12:58 PM

That 3 year contract for Salvador looks worse and worse every game. I'm sure being paired with Zidlicky isn't helping, but woof.

NJD1982 02-19-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eggers (Post 60023903)
That 3 year contract for Salvador looks worse and worse every game. I'm sure being paired with Zidlicky isn't helping, but woof.

Zidlicky is a liability for whoever is paired with him.

Richer's Ghost 02-19-2013 02:48 PM

we should trade Zidlicky for a winger - his value is higher than Tallinder at this point.

Bleedred 02-19-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost (Post 60029631)
we should trade Zidlicky for a winger - his value is higher than Tallinder at this point.

It probably is. Then we have to worry about Tallinder being in our books next year. His cap hit is brutal when we're trying to re sign Clarkson, and maybe even make another forward acquisition.

I think if Zid, and Tallinder are gone next year just one has to be replaced. No way we carry 7 NHL defensemen next year, and we definitely won't have 8 no matter what. We can bring in Urbom, or Gelinas for $900k grand a year. It saves us $2.5 million to banish Tallinder somewhere else. He's a shell of who he was in Buffalo.

MauDevils 02-19-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost (Post 60029631)
we should trade Zidlicky for a winger - his value is higher than Tallinder at this point.

Trade both, call up Gelinas, profit.

hockeyr5 02-19-2013 03:17 PM

Greene and Larsson are good. So is Fayne. Zids is fine. Sal is okay. Tallinder is meh and Volch isn't good but is physical.

Greene-Larsson
Fayne-
Salvador-

I like those four in those spots but thats about it.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* 02-19-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJD1982 (Post 60028725)
Zidlicky is a liability for whoever is paired with him.

Zidlicky played much much better then what were seeing right now. I don't know if it's because he's more "comfortable", if he thinks his spot is assured or what but his play away from the puck has taken a massive nose dive.

NBC Hockey 02-19-2013 03:20 PM

I want Fayne playing. And dammit, I want Harrold back.

Thank God for Andy Greene.

And that about sums up my feelings.

Jack Griffin 02-19-2013 03:24 PM

2.25 GA/G which is 9th in the league, 20 goals against in 16 games at 5v5 which is 4th fewest in the league, 26.7 shots against per game which is 4th in the league. I'd say they've been pretty solid.

Aethon 02-19-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ Richey (Post 60031469)
2.25 GA/G which is 9th in the league, 20 goals against in 16 games at 5v5 which is 4th fewest in the league, 26.7 shots against per game which is 4th in the league. I'd say they've been pretty solid.

Due to 1 part system, 1 part forward responsibility and 1 part effective forecheck keeping pressure off the defense.

Has very little to do with the quality of any individual defenseman on this team.

goalvalchuk17 02-19-2013 03:41 PM

i can't stand watching tallinder or zidlicky anymore. salvador has done okay, but not as good as he was in the playoffs. larsson and greene have impressed me. harrold should not be playing, he's just a worse version of zidlicky. fayne hasn't amazed me but i'd rather have him in than tallinder.

MadDog172430 02-19-2013 03:43 PM

Greene-Larsson
Fayne-Salvador
Zidlicky-Volchenkov

Bring these pairings back and profit.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.