HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New Jersey Devils (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Devils could use a real third line center (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1354481)

Feed Me A Stray Cat 02-19-2013 12:18 PM

Devils could use a real third line center
 
While everyone loves Stephen Gionta's story, and he has far exceeded my expectations, he should be demoted to fourth line duties as soon as possible.

Gionta is a quick player who has some grit and plays pretty well on the PK. He can pot a couple goals and make some plays because of his nose for the net.

However, when he is on the ice, the teams gets absolutely smoked in posession.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67#

Gionta has the worst CorsiRel among forwards by a far margin while starting in the offensive zone more than half the time. That's bad. Moreover, his faceoff percentage is a dismal 30%, which might be a large reason for and certainly compounds the possession issues.

Gionta has also been the beneficiary of some fortunate even strength puck luck, as the team is shooting 16.7% when he is on the ice. That won't continue, so expect his 0.50 ppg pace to slow.

While we could certainly use a top line winger, we could also really use a third line center who can take faceoffs and not get smoked by other team's top lines.

njdevil26 02-19-2013 12:18 PM

I think the Devils are just a Zubrus away from having CBGB go back to being the fourth line with Zubrus-Loktionov-Butler as the third.

CerebralGenesis 02-19-2013 12:19 PM

lmao his FO is 30%?

Feed Me A Stray Cat 02-19-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevil26 (Post 60021689)
I think the Devils are just a Zubrus away from having CBGB go back to being the fourth line with Zubrus-Loktionov-Butler as the third.

That's not a bad idea, and I guess they'll give Loki a chance at center before acquiring another one.

devilsblood 02-19-2013 12:26 PM

I think Lokti and JJ are given every chance to fill that role b4 Lou goes shopping.

Gio is clearly best suited as a 4th liner.

njdevil26 02-19-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat (Post 60021827)
That's not a bad idea, and I guess they'll give Loki a chance at center before acquiring another one.

Yeah I mean if the kid can really play... it might be a good line. Butler looks good and is also defensively responsible... Zubrus does everything... could work.

The Green Unit 02-19-2013 12:46 PM

Sure Zubrus' injury doesn't help but If Peter Deboer and Lou Lamoriello wanted a legit 3rd line with our current line-up, they'd have one already. I'm more and more convinced they want to sandbag this team to make them ready for the playoffs.

MJMazzarone 02-19-2013 01:25 PM

We need a third line center?

Quick call Dean McAmmond right away!

Bleedred 02-19-2013 01:29 PM

I love Gio, but they should be a 4th line. If they're a 4th line that plays 10 minutes fine. That's even better. Because they're a 3rd line, and the insistence to use Barch every game we have 3rd liners rotting away on the 4th line doing ****.

xdl1 02-19-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat (Post 60021657)
While everyone loves Stephen Gionta's story, and he has far exceeded my expectations, he should be demoted to fourth line duties as soon as possible.

Gionta is a quick player who has some grit and plays pretty well on the PK. He can pot a couple goals and make some plays because of his nose for the net.

However, when he is on the ice, the teams gets absolutely smoked in posession.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67#

Gionta has the worst CorsiRel among forwards by a far margin while starting in the offensive zone more than half the time. That's bad. Moreover, his faceoff percentage is a dismal 30%, which might be a large reason for and certainly compounds the possession issues.

Gionta has also been the beneficiary of some fortunate even strength puck luck, as the team is shooting 16.7% when he is on the ice. That won't continue, so expect his 0.50 ppg pace to slow.

While we could certainly use a top line winger, we could also really use a third line center who can take faceoffs and not get smoked by other team's top lines.

They are just getting too many minutes, and too high of quality of minutes because we have no third line. It will even back out, and to your point the bolded is a big part.

Josefson was given every chance at the 3C, now its Loktionov. I think you'll see either the 3C or 3RW addressed, depending on how well Matteau/Butler/Loktionov play, and when that happens, Gio can go back to playing against the goon squads in the NHL.

MartyOwns 02-19-2013 01:33 PM

im fine with our 3rd line. especially considering Zubes is out

Bleedred 02-19-2013 01:36 PM

Josefson hasn't been given a chance at 3rd line C this year though. We've had CBGB there all year. Why can't we just roll 4 lines? It will make our team better. Barch has done a fine job as the resident goon, but he's not needed every game. He's averaged 50 games per year in his career. He's an interchangeable part that we can throw in, and out of the lineup. He brings no offense whatsoever.

Lokti will have to be shifted with Patty like yesterday to get any points, and Butler will have to try and get production on the PP. That line is doing **** even strength with Barch in the lineup.

The Green Unit 02-19-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleedred (Post 60025693)
Josefson hasn't been given a chance at 3rd line C this year though. We've had CBGB there all year. Why can't we just roll 4 lines? It will make our team better. Barch has done a fine job as the resident goon, but he's not needed every game. He's averaged 50 games per year in his career. He's an interchangeable part that we can throw in, and out of the lineup. He brings no offense whatsoever.

Lokti will have to be shifted with Patty like yesterday to get any points, and Butler will have to try and get production on the PP. That line is doing **** even strength with Barch in the lineup.

That's correct. Up to now, there's been one unique 3rd line. The CBGB line.

Classic Devil 02-19-2013 01:43 PM

Gionta might be playing in a third line role, but he's no third-line center. I think all of us want to see CBGB go back to the 4th line.

Bleedred 02-19-2013 01:43 PM

We would be a lot deeper if we pushed them back down where they belong, get Barch out of the lineup for games against the Sens, Caps, Jets, Canes, Lightning, etc, and put Matteau on that line and make it a 3rd.

RNCDevil 02-19-2013 01:45 PM

Devils could use a third line, period. They have one line that is consistently winning their shift battles (Henrique line) and another line, CBGB, that COULD beat their 4th line competition.

The Kovy line will always be boom and bust in my opinion. The issue is Deboer has no faith in another line to do their job. A third line of [Matteau, Poni, Jofeson, Loki, Zubrus, Butler] needs to be crafted.

I think try Poni, Loki, Matteau and try Butler on the first line.

The Green Unit 02-19-2013 01:48 PM

Look at the potential full line-up, and no doubt Josefson is going to come back. Pretty obvious they do NOT want a legit 3rd line at the moment, I know Zubrus is injured.

Poni-TZ-IK
Elias-Henrique-Clarkson
Zubrus-Loktionov-Butler
Carter-Josefson/Gionta-Bernier

There's maybe a slight lack of top end forward but the depth looks solid. And I wouldn't be surprised to see Butler being a very good 2nd liner with some linemates like Henrique and Elias.

Zubrus-Loktionov-Clarkson would be one hell of a 3rd line. (yeah I firmly believe Andrei is a good player)

Hockey Sports Fan 02-19-2013 05:27 PM

Speaking of behindthenet.ca, Josefson's PDO is among the worst in the entire league. Reports of his struggles have been greatly exaggerated.

chessarmy 02-19-2013 05:28 PM

Like I said in another thread. When Zubrus comes back this could be an awesome third line -

Ponikarovsky-Zubrus-Bernier

Bleedred 02-19-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessarmy (Post 60038303)
like i said in another thread. When zubrus comes back this could be an awesome third line -

ponikarovsky-zubrus-bernier

666!

Hockey Sports Fan 02-19-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleedred (Post 60038459)
666!

Yeah that line absolutely wrecked it after PKs and PPs last season. Wouldn't mind seeing them again.

Bleedred 02-19-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eggers (Post 60039467)
Yeah that line absolutely wrecked it after PKs and PPs last season. Wouldn't mind seeing them again.

The Poni-Henrique-Kovy line was pretty good in the playoffs team.

Zippy316 02-19-2013 06:05 PM

Jason Arnott :sarcasm:

apice3* 02-19-2013 06:07 PM

CBGB is the best 4th line in hockey. They are an okay 3rd line and they've held their own, but they will do a ton more damage as 4th liners.

Zippy316 02-19-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleedred (Post 60039867)
The Poni-Henrique-Kovy line was pretty good in the playoffs team.

http://media.nj.com/devils_main/phot...ee4dd9c3ee.jpg

I agree.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.