HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   How is Havlat still on the team? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1354545)

Wolf74 02-19-2013 02:27 PM

How is Havlat still on the team?

How can one justify paying Martin Havlat 5 million dollars a season to be a on the fourth line? Anyone? I know he has a no trade clause and he just can't be shipped off willy nilly, but it doesn't mean they can't try. Havlat is dead weight if/when he's not injured. Talk about a trade that didn't work out. Can't we just try to ship him off for some picks or something?

RammsteinGT 02-19-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf74 (Post 60025277)
How can one justify paying Martin Havlat 5 million dollars a season to be a on the fourth line? Anyone? I know he has a no trade clause and he just can't be shipped off willy nilly, but it doesn't mean they can't try. Havlat is dead weight if/when he's not injured. Talk about a trade that didn't work out. Can't we just try to ship him off for some picks or something?

Over-react much? The whole team has sucked for 2.5 weeks now. Havlat was a solid producer when we were playing well, and had flashes of promise with Burish on the 4th line. Plus, it sounds like he's back on the 2nd line tonight with Couture. I'm happy with him and his play once we pick up the pace again. Clowe on the other hand has been a black hole the entire season (and it pains me to say that).

Basically...relax.

Kitten Mittons 02-19-2013 02:34 PM

He's the best 4th liner we've ever had.

SactoShork 02-19-2013 02:36 PM

The coaches should move Clowe and Couture to the 4th line with Havlat. Then play the 4th line 18-20 minutes per game.

Janney 02-19-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SactoShark (Post 60025713)
The coaches should move Clowe and Couture to the 4th line with Havlat. Then play the 4th line 18-20 minutes per game.

That's similar to what Adam Oates was trying with his Ovechkin-Beagle-Crabb line...(shhh don't tell nobody, but there are fourth liners on the first line...)

WTFetus 02-19-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf74 (Post 60025277)
How can one justify paying Martin Havlat 5 million dollars a season to be a on the fourth line?

He doesn't belong on the 4th line. If anything he and Couture have been the most solid forwards in the Top-6 this season. Putting him on the 4th line had little to do with how he was playing. It had more to do with McLellan's ridiculous line combinations; instead of benching players when they are bad, he promotes them to try to get them out of their funk.
Clowe sucks: puts him on the first line.
Havlat is good: puts him on the fourth line.

Swedish GP 02-19-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RammsteinGT (Post 60025549)
Over-react much? The whole team has sucked for 2.5 weeks now. Havlat was a solid producer when we were playing well, and had flashes of promise with Burish on the 4th line. Plus, it sounds like he's back on the 2nd line tonight with Couture. I'm happy with him and his play once we pick up the pace again. Clowe on the other hand has been a black hole the entire season (and it pains me to say that).

Basically...relax.

I have to agree with Wolf on this, how long can we let these guys pan out? Marleau, Clowe, havlat, galiardi, burish are all garbage. Streaky players at best. Marleau with his fantastic streak to start the season is the same old song and dance now. No heart. Galiardi is a bust, at least the Ginner had heart. Havlat skate fantastically in circles and Clowe needs to be put on the bench where he belongs. Signed frustrated Shark fan...

WTFetus 02-19-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swedish GP (Post 60026337)
Marleau with his fantastic streak to start the season is the same old song and dance now. No heart. Galiardi is a bust, at least the Ginner had heart.

It's called regression to the mean.

And is this the same McGinn that had about 4 points in 50 games two seasons ago?

Swedish GP 02-19-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTFetus (Post 60026589)

And is this the same McGinn that had about 4 points in 50 games two seasons ago?

You got TJs numbers? At leaset ginner knew how to body check someone unlike the rest of the team. So marleau regressed in two weeks, just like he does every year. Hes a franchise player that needs to be moved. Im just tired of it...

WTFetus 02-19-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swedish GP (Post 60026771)
You got TJs numbers? At leaset ginner knew how to body check someone unlike the rest of the team. So marleau regressed in two weeks, just like he does every year. Hes a franchise player that needs to be moved. Im just tired of it...

Always playing on the garbage of a 4th line isn't going to help his numbers.

zombiekopitor 02-19-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTFetus (Post 60026081)
He doesn't belong on the 4th line. If anything he and Couture have been the most solid forwards in the Top-6 this season. Putting him on the 4th line had little to do with how he was playing. It had more to do with McLellan's ridiculous line combinations; instead of benching players when they are bad, he promotes them to try to get them out of their funk.
Clowe sucks: puts him on the first line.
Havlat is good: puts him on the fourth line.

agree
I think Clowe should be put on the 4th line w/ 2nd unit pp duty, he can fight and screen the net, that's about it right now.

These lines would be super interesting imo if we're talking about crazy line juggling
Sheppard-Thornton-Wingels
Marleau-Couture-Havlat
Gomez-Pavelski-Burish
Clowe-Handzus-Desjardins/Gailardi

Phu 02-19-2013 03:19 PM

How is this thread even a logical point?

The real question is how is Havlat still on the 4th line? That's something you do for part of 1 game to try to shake things loose, but that is ridiculous as part of a game plan.

Sharks4Life 02-19-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juantimer (Post 60028021)

The real question is how is Havlat still on the 4th line? That's something you do for part of 1 game to try to shake things loose, but that is ridiculous as part of a game plan.

this

AnderFunk 02-19-2013 03:26 PM

how bout we keep the forward lines the same for more than one game without messing it all up kthx

Kegsey 02-19-2013 03:29 PM

Havlat at 5 million a year is the least of our worries. Add up how much were paying the 3rd/4th line and count their production.

Mafoofoo 02-19-2013 03:49 PM

Agreed. Havlat should be the coach. A much better use of his talents.

19sharks19 02-19-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juantimer (Post 60028021)

So true. To add; for consecutive games :shakehead

Dicdonya 02-19-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTFetus (Post 60026589)

I love that the only argument you have is his past years since you cannot talk about how much better he was last year and this one. Currently better than the majority of our team, and his. Also only one point less than cooch yet cooch is our golden child. Now I'm by no means saying he is as good as cooch but it's time to stop talking about the mcginn from years past, he has obviously, to anyone who wants to actually look at reality, gotten better and is doing a respectable job in a top six role.

Gali has not done crap for atleast 3 years or so, I really hope he finds some game but right now we got the short end of the stick in that trade.

Op: havlat would be a huge waste if he really was a 4th liner, however there is zero reason he should actually be on the 4th line, it's simply the way tmac rolls. Play decent go to the 4th line, play like crap go join Thornton on the top line. A lot of decisions this year make no sense, havlat on the 4th is one of them.

TheJuxtaposer 02-19-2013 04:05 PM

It boggles my mind how little some people understand about hockey.

Traktor28 02-19-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robes of Teal (Post 60027659)
agree
I think Clowe should be put on the 3rd line w/ 2nd unit pp duty, he can fight and screen the net, that's about it right now.

i

agree but with minor line change combo
Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski
Desjardins-Couture-Havlat
Clowe-Handzus-Wingels
Gomez-Burish-/Gailardi

WTFetus 02-19-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 60030465)
It boggles my mind how little some people understand about hockey.

I'm not even going to bother arguing about McGinn anymore. I mean I loved the guy and hope he does well, but he simply isn't that good and he certainly wouldn't suddenly make our 3rd line good.

Futuristic 02-19-2013 04:11 PM

Well... That escalated quickly. But seriously, I like Havlat, he's going to be fine, when he's not on the 4th line that is.

magic school bus 02-19-2013 04:17 PM

This is the only way the team knows how to make forward depth - by sticking obvious top-6 players (Havlat or in the past, Pavelski) in the bottom-6.

Wolf74 02-19-2013 04:23 PM

Thank you all for enlightening me.

Negatively Positive 02-19-2013 04:25 PM

Uh, just because someone is on the 4th line doesn't mean they necessarily deserve to be there. He could score a hat trick and then get put on the 4th line the next game if he pissed off the coach at practice. He goes where the coach tells him to go and if the coach is an idiot it's not Havlat's fault. A skilled player is in a funk. I know, let's put him with offensively challenged players who can't score if they shoot the puck into the ocean. That'll help him put some points up and get him out of his funk.