HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Most Engaged NHL Fan Bases (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1354551)

cbcwpg 02-19-2013 01:44 PM

Most Engaged NHL Fan Bases

http://blog.ticketcity.com/2013/02/1...nhl-fan-bases/

A different way of measuring fan bases.

InjuredChoker 02-20-2013 01:18 PM

Pens avg ticket price is 128 bucks?

Fidel Astro 02-20-2013 01:54 PM

This image is x'd out for me. Can't read it.

Where is Winnipeg on the list?

garnetpalmetto 02-20-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidel Astro (Post 60104957)
This image is x'd out for me. Can't read it.

Where is Winnipeg on the list?

It's not, as it's not in the Top 10. You are, however, recognized as having, on average, the most expensive ticket in the League at $210/game.

For the benefit of others, the Top 10 according to TicketCity's data are:

1) Toronto (Index score: 100)
2) Montreal (99.59)
3) Pittsburgh (89.63)
4) Boston (81.73)
5) Vancouver (78.95)
6) Detroit (77.67)
7) Chicago (77.59)
8) New York Rangers (77.43)
9) Philadelphia (71.15)
10) St. Louis (70.82)

This is based on average ticket price, # of fans on Facebook, average home attendance, and Google Search trends index.

Other superlatives:

Largest fanbases in social media:
On Facebook - Detroit (1,348,981)
On Twitter - Montreal (359,249)

Highest average game attendance: Chicago (21,531)

Highest ticket price: Winnipeg ($210/game)

Lowest ticket price: Anaheim ($36/game)

IU Hawks fan 02-20-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto (Post 60105125)

I wonder what percentage of Sweds are on Facebook.

Shootmaster_44 02-21-2013 12:32 AM

It is too bad they only showed the Top 10, I would bet that like St. Louis at #10, there would be some surprises. As much as Jets fans are great, my thinking is they are localized fanbase and other teams like the LA Kings have a large fanbase (thank the Gretzky effect).

The only problem with throwing in social media is that you aren't only allowed to follow one team. On Facebook I follow the Kings and the Oilers. I am a Kings fan, but have no affinity to the Oilers beyond my proximity to the team. Thus, I followed them to find out presales and other things to help with tickets and other events going on in Edmonton. However, my like of their page in this survey would translate into a +1 toward the engagement of their "fanbase." Of course, I am not a fan so that is the flaw. Also, I help contribute to their ticket sales, but only when my Kings are in town. Thus, it automatically assumes all ticket buyers are Oilers fans. When the Flames, Habs or Leafs are in town, I'd wager a guess and say that 25% of the crowd (maybe less with the Flames) are cheering for the opposition.

All the same this is an interesting way of ranking the teams. I always prefer the mapping of fan bases. There was a NFL one done recently, it was interesting to see that most of California was Raiders territory, except for a small pocket around San Francisco and San Diego. Also, some teams have a fan base nowhere near their city for some reason.

It would be interesting to see someone conduct the same study of North America for the NHL. Be interesting to see wide some fan bases are and how local others might be. I suspect in States and Provinces without NHL teams, you would see a patchwork of colours representing different teams. Many small towns likely cheer in droves for a certain team due to a local player playing for that team. For instance in Lloydminster, you probably find a good number of Oilers fans, but likely a good portion of Capitals fans (due to Braden Holtby) too. In the mix, you'd find me the lone Kings fan.

Kane One 02-21-2013 07:46 AM

I don't understand why they use attendance numbers instead of percentage.

misha1976 02-21-2013 08:23 AM

It's a cool graphic: well designed with interesting metrics. One thing that popped out at me are the low average ticket prices in Detroit. I know that the city of Detroit isn't doing so well, but the suburbs have some of the highest average household income rates in the US. Why are the prices so low given their dedicated fan base?

Sgt Osiris 02-21-2013 08:52 AM

I wasn't able to reproduce any of the google trends on the list, example, toronto maple leafs has a google trend index of 30, last time it was close to 70 was 2005. :dunno:

Additionally, I find looking at raw couns for the attendance, facebook and twitter stats an odd way of measuring "engagement". There needs to be some relative measure taking into account city size/fanbase size, to truly measure engagement.

misha1976 02-21-2013 09:04 AM

Sure. Relative attendance and twitter/FB engagement would be useful. Easy thing to do yourself. I do think it's an interesting graphic that also says as much about cities particular uses of different types of social media, no?

Sgt Osiris 02-21-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misha1976 (Post 60157353)
Sure. Relative attendance and twitter/FB engagement would be useful. Easy thing to do yourself. I do think it's an interesting graphic that also says as much about cities particular uses of different types of social media, no?

Yeah, its an interesting idea (ie. to measure fanbase engagement). It is just quantified in a meaningless way IMO. And the google trend data isnt reproducable.

To measure engagement using social media you need city demographics, market share of "sports fans", etc. Its way more complicated than whats presented here is all I'm saying.

IceAce 02-21-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker McDonald (Post 60155115)
I don't understand why they use attendance numbers instead of percentage.

My first thought as well. Teams can only sell so many seats in an arena.

ranold26 02-21-2013 10:07 AM

Total junk. Facebook fans? really? Spelling errors? really?

Pft.

jigglysquishy 02-21-2013 10:52 AM

I'm a diehard Jets fan, but I haven't like them on Facebook. Hell, my buddy has a Stevie Y tattoo and he doesn't like the Wings on Facebook.

It's an inconsistent metric at best.

Mungman 02-21-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto (Post 60105125)
It's not, as it's not in the Top 10. You are, however, recognized as having, on average, the most expensive ticket in the League at $210/game.

For the benefit of others, the Top 10 according to TicketCity's data are:

1) Toronto (Index score: 100)
2) Montreal (99.59)
3) Pittsburgh (89.63)
4) Boston (81.73)
5) Vancouver (78.95)
6) Detroit (77.67)
7) Chicago (77.59)
8) New York Rangers (77.43)
9) Philadelphia (71.15)
10) St. Louis (70.82)

This is based on average ticket price, # of fans on Facebook, average home attendance, and Google Search trends index.

Other superlatives:

Highest average game attendance: Chicago (21,531)

Highest ticket price: Winnepeg ($210/game)

Lowest ticket price: Anaheim ($36/game)

Fixed it for ya (Winnepeg).

Not sure how they get $210 average ticket price either, face value of P1 highest priced games is $205.75/seat? :huh:

roccerfeller 02-21-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 60161891)
I'm a diehard Jets fan, but I haven't like them on Facebook. Hell, my buddy has a Stevie Y tattoo and he doesn't like the Wings on Facebook.

It's an inconsistent metric at best.

My thoughts exactly (more canucks fans than leafs fans?) though I'm sure its a vague estimator with regards to general popularity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mungman (Post 60162671)

Not sure how they get $210 average ticket price either, face value of P1 highest priced games is $205.75/seat? :huh:

Winnepag

:laugh:

kdb209 02-21-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mungman (Post 60162671)

Since they don't give a source for the ticket pricing - it doesn't match any of the usual sources (my itchy disclaimer finger was ready) - and the post was done on a ticket broker's site, I'm guessing the prices are from their own secondary market sales data.

Mungman 02-21-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roccerfeller (Post 60167719)
My thoughts exactly (more canucks fans than leafs fans?) though I'm sure its a vague estimator with regards to general popularity.

Winnepag

:laugh:

No, that's how they spell it in Chicago, clearly not where this dude is from.:teach:

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/851/winnipeg.jpg

:biglaugh:

Mungman 02-21-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdb209 (Post 60167729)
Since they don't give a source for the ticket pricing - it doesn't match any of the usual sources (my itchy disclaimer finger was ready) - and the post was done on a ticket broker's site, I'm guessing the prices are from their own secondary market sales data.

Not a clue where those #'s are from, no way does TO only have 149 avg ticket price in the secondary market.

Meh, whatever...

Big McLargehuge 02-21-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdb209 (Post 60167729)

That was my assumption as well. Penguins face value tickets are closer to $70 on average...but demand is so high for them (and we lost all of about 20 STHs since the end of last season) that I can easily see them reaching that much on the secondary market.

And count me in the same boat with attendance % instead of raw attendance numbers. You can't fill an arena past it's true capacity, regardless of demand.

canuckster19 02-21-2013 09:36 PM

Fail at facebook likes as a multimedia reference, how does clicking like make a fan engaged?

For example HF which I assume is the Bruins main forum which google leads me to believe has approximately 44K users, Canucks forum which is run by the team has over 80K, I would think that is a more accurate reference.

Just to cover my bases, I'm not trying to put an argument here over who has the better fan base, I'm only arguing with what numbers are relevant.

What about merchandising? That to me seems like a very important aspect, money spent beyond the ticket price.

Also not sure how google index is an accurate reflection on fan engagement, as a Canucks fan I know exactly what sites I go to for my Canucks stuff, I don't google the Canucks every time I want to visit their website. I would think this is a very inaccurate reflection as my previous example, I didn't know if the Bruins website had a forum so I googled it, so does that make me an engaging Bruins fan? I don't want to say I hate the Bruins cause hate is a strong word, but I am certainly not a fan.

DJENTLEMAN 02-21-2013 09:45 PM

Figures that ESPN would use Facebook fans and Twitter followers as a way to measure this. What a bunch of hacks.

Doesn't Toronto complain about all the suits at the ACC that are merely there to entertain rather than watch a hockey game?

PALE PWNR 02-21-2013 10:19 PM

There's no way Philly ticket prices average 69 dollars

kdb209 02-21-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Leviathan (Post 60217655)
Figures that ESPN would use Facebook fans and Twitter followers as a way to measure this. What a bunch of hacks.

Huh??? What does ESPN have to do with this? This was done by a ticket broker service (TicketCity) and posted by them on their website.

IU Hawks fan 02-21-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Leviathan (Post 60217655)

Doesn't Toronto complain about all the suits at the ACC that are merely there to entertain rather than watch a hockey game?

ESPN? Isn't this TicketCity's thing?