HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Methot is excellent (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1354873)

the doctor 02-19-2013 09:10 PM

Methot is excellent

I love this kind of defenseman. Nothing flashy but just solid at everything from defending to moving the puck out of his end. If there's nothing there it goes hard on the glass and out.

This guy won't get the press but he will be a big reason why the team will win games. Very underrated imo.

aragorn 02-19-2013 09:11 PM

He had a really good game, he brings stability & toughness to the back end & plays a real good safe game. Another good trade by Murray. :handclap:

Cujomi 02-19-2013 09:13 PM

Methot was an amazing trade. Just amazing. Maybe our pro scouting is getting better? Turris and Methot were great adds.

jbeck5 02-19-2013 09:14 PM

Remember how we always said Schubert would be an amazing top 4 D if he was an intelligent player? All the tools, but no toolbox?

Well, methot, is a schubert with a brain. Big. Strong. Fast skater.

I was pissed at the foligno-methot trade...not anymore.

FolignoQuantumLeap 02-19-2013 09:15 PM

He and Gryba are our #1 pair right now. Tavares got dancing out there on a few shifts but they worked their ***** off in front of the net and in the corners. They look like a legit shut down pair. Gryba made some impressive plays with the luck as well.

Benny FTW 02-19-2013 09:16 PM

6 months ago i almost took the chance to ask Murray, when 2 feet away, what the fudge he was thinking making that trade.

6 months later and... :bow:

mikachu 02-19-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap (Post 60063639)
He and Gryba are our #1 pair right now. Tavares got dancing out there on a few shifts but they worked their ***** off in front of the net and in the corners. They look like a legit shut down pair. Gryba made some impressive plays with the luck as well.

Methot has been more than solid. The word hustle is overused but it definitely applies to him. But anyone else notice that Gryba isn't that strong on his feet? 25% of the battles in the corners, hes on his backside.

Ed Wood 02-19-2013 09:27 PM

I've been neutral on the Methot/Foligno trade because I didn't feel I'd seen Methot play enough to make an intelligent judgement.

Methot has impressed me. He skates much better than I thought he would. He doesn't make bonehead plays. He's physical enough. He looked very comfortable with Erik Karlsson as well as with Eric Gryba.

I still like Nick Foligno and I understand he's playing very well in Columbus. Looks like a good hockey trade for both teams.

Love that Methot/Gryba pairing. They could be a great shut down pair for a long time if Cowen and Karlsson are going to be paired at some point.

FolignoQuantumLeap 02-19-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikachu (Post 60065331)
Methot has been more than solid. The word hustle is overused but it definitely applies to him. But anyone else notice that Gryba isn't that strong on his feet? 25% of the battles in the corners, hes on his backside.

Gryba is renowned in the Sens organization for his strength and conditioning. I'm thinking it's more just a case of him getting used to the speed of the NHL and still having to constantly react. This was his 3rd career game and he looked like a vet.

I know it wasn't the first time he wore it this year, but it was nice to see Methot wearing the A. He seems like a leader on and off the ice. Love having the local boys.

2CHAINZ 02-19-2013 09:45 PM

http://imageshack.us/a/img11/3347/markmj.jpg

Hale The Villain 02-19-2013 09:57 PM

Have to give management props for getting this guy for Foligno

Wasn't a fan of Foligno before he was traded, but was not sold on Methot at all when the trade was made, glad to see he's proving me wrong

Jerk Store 02-19-2013 10:06 PM

I wasn't a fan of the trade and a lot of us weren't. Shows us maybe we do overvalue our own players sometimes. Turned out to be a good trade for us. Imagine ouf D now without him...

Quo 02-19-2013 10:15 PM

Liked the trade from day 1. Nothing but love since.

Laszlo Panaflex 02-19-2013 10:54 PM

I liked the fact that he was wearing an A tonight. Next season, when we have Karlsson and Cowen back, these 3 players will play a lot of minutes for us. Now we just need to add someone else to our top 4.

MAK19 02-19-2013 11:01 PM

Hey now we have 2 MMs.

M&M

CanadianHockey 02-19-2013 11:03 PM

Keep on topic.

Tundraman 02-19-2013 11:19 PM

No knock on Foligno but if the Sens had to make this trade again they'd do it 1000 times out of 1000. Methot is a great fit on this team. He brings size, tough play and strength along the boards and around the net. Gryba plays well with Methot and with a vet for support Gryba looks ready for prime time. Obviously we miss EK so the dynamics have changed but we get to see new possibilities for a shutdown pair if Cowen and EK can play together. Next year with Gonchar and Lundin gone and with Weir and Phillips playing 5-6, our core top 6 D may be much better than anyone anticipated.

God Says No 02-19-2013 11:20 PM

volchenkov 2.0

OmniSens 02-19-2013 11:29 PM

From what we've gotten from him since the beginning of the season, he's worth more then what we gave.

JurassicTunga 02-19-2013 11:33 PM

Awesome pick up by Murray and Co.

Didn't think it was a good trade at all but it is turning out to be a good one. So solid back there.

Benny FTW 02-19-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by God Says No (Post 60077885)
volchenkov 2.0

I dont think Volchenkov is a good comparison.

IranCondraAffair 02-19-2013 11:37 PM

Methot is excellent at killing penalties.

Foligno was excellent as getting them.

I wish him the best though, we could sure use Foligno in out top-6 right now.

burgess1978 02-19-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the doctor (Post 60062863)
I love this kind of defenseman. Nothing flashy but just solid at everything from defending to moving the puck out of his end. If there's nothing there it goes hard on the glass and out.

This guy won't get the press but he will be a big reason why the team will win games. Very underrated imo.

Columbus knew how good he was, but with all the money going to the top 3 and all of the young guys coming through, Methot was expendable.

Good trade for both teams. Perfect fit for Ottawa.

DrEasy 02-19-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laszlo Panaflex (Post 60075857)
I liked the fact that he was wearing an A tonight. Next season, when we have Karlsson and Cowen back, these 3 players will play a lot of minutes for us. Now we just need to add someone else to our top 4.

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba
Wiercioch - Ceci

(drool)

ReginKarlssonLehner 02-20-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrEasy (Post 60080789)
Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba
Wiercioch - Ceci

(drool)

I'd actually want to see Murray go after a legit top 3 defender to solidify our defense for years to come.