HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speculation: Buffalo Move Coming? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1355483)

caley 02-20-2013 11:12 AM

Buffalo Move Coming?

I'll probably have to close this in 10 minutes or so, because I'm likely making a mountain out of a molehill, but it's something fun to get carried away with on a slow Tuesday morning.

Buffalo just put Cody McCormick on waivers, but even more interesting is that Christian Ehrhoff and Tyler Ennis are both missing from practice. Ehrhoff got hit in the neck with a puck last game and is likely taking a day off because of that, but there was no word on an Ennis injury.

Let's get speculating! I'll close this as soon as Buffalo issues word that Ennis is injured, probably. :laugh:

HockeyH3aven 02-20-2013 11:14 AM

Please don't trade 'Hoff. :cry:

He's our second best player and I just bought this jersey. :laugh:

SpezDispenser 02-20-2013 11:15 AM

Ottawa would have heavy interest in either player I would imagine. Especially Myers.

EichHart 02-20-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caley (Post 60095523)
I'll probably have to close this in 10 minutes or so, because I'm likely making a mountain out of a molehill, but it's something fun to get carried away with on a slow Tuesday morning.

Buffalo just put Cody McCormick on waivers, but even more interesting is that Christian Ehrhoff and Tyler Ennis are both missing from practice. Ehrhoff got hit in the neck with a puck last game and is likely taking a day off because of that, but there was no word on an Ennis injury.

Let's get speculating! I'll close this as soon as Buffalo issues word that Ennis is injured, probably. :laugh:

I can see something happening, Pegula cannot be happy with this on ice product. But I still feel it has more to do with the coach than the players. I was at the game last night, and for a few minutes each period the entire arena of 19k+ was booing. The 2nd period was the worst period of hockey I've watched in over 10 years. Something needs to be done to shack this team up. But if there was ever a year to tank its this one with nearly half the season over already and a stacked draft class.

New Sabres Captain 02-20-2013 11:15 AM

Waiving McCormick means freeing up a roster spot.

They have 24 players on the roster (23 active + Leino on IR). And there's no reason to believe Leino is anywhere close to being ready...no indication he's even been practicing.

So either a) they're calling someone up from the minors, or b) they're trading and getting an extra NHL body.

Sekera theoretically could have been placed on IR to free up a spot, but doesn't look like they're going that route.

CornKicker 02-20-2013 11:16 AM

ennis is probably still under the bus from when Miller threw all his teammates under there.

EichHart 02-20-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs (Post 60095775)

They have 24 players on the roster (23 active + Leino on IR). And there's no reason to believe Leino is anywhere close to being ready...no indication he's even been practicing.

So either a) they're calling someone up from the minors, or b) they're trading and getting an extra NHL body.

Sekera theoretically could have been placed on IR to free up a spot, but doesn't look like they're going that route.

I believe Sekera just had a Charley horse correct? They might be calling up Porter to fill Codys role?

Analyzer* 02-20-2013 11:18 AM

Therapy day possible.

Should have shipped Gerbe to the west for a pick and kept McCormick. I think he'll get picked up. Those type of players every coach loves.

Jame 02-20-2013 11:19 AM

Come to Buffalo Ryan O'reilly

CornKicker 02-20-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpezDispenser (Post 60095735)
Ottawa would have heavy interest in either player I would imagine. Especially Myers.

lol no one even mentioned myers

tsujimoto74 02-20-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Awwufelloff (Post 60095869)
I believe Sekera just had a Charley horse correct? They might be calling up Porter to fill Codys role?

I don't see why they'd do that. Porter's Rochester's captain and a good AHLer. McCormick played well for his role in the couple games he was dressed for. Not sure why they'd swap the two. But then Lindy Ruff is making the coaching/line-up decisions. If they're clearing space for a call-up, I think it might be McNabb or Pardy. We have a lot of d-men on the roster, but not enough playing well. Wouldn't hurt to see them in NHL action, I guess.

I'm hoping it's for a trade though. Red rover, red rover, send ROR over!

Method Man 02-20-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs (Post 60095775)

doesn't this only open a roster spot if they have designated him for assignment too? They may just be seeing if someone can grab him without him being demoted like Calgary did with Blair Jones.

If McCormick clears, could this open a path for a Jones/McCormick swap? I remember seeing at least 1 Sabre fan suggest they should claim Jones and I think the Flames would like to move him, I am assuming the Sabres are in the same boat with McCormick.

Plus since Feaster took the reigns in Calgary he and Regier have made a couple deals.

Analyzer* 02-20-2013 11:23 AM

Apparently Buffalo had been trying to trade McCormick.

Per Renaud Lavoie

Revelate 02-20-2013 11:24 AM

of all the players to try and trade...McCormick? is this a sick joke?

New Sabres Captain 02-20-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat (Post 60096195)
doesn't this only open a roster spot if they have designated him for assignment too? They may just be seeing if someone can grab him without him being demoted like Calgary did with Blair Jones.

If McCormick clears, could this open a path for a Jones/McCormick swap? I remember seeing at least 1 Sabre fan suggest they should claim Jones and I think the Flames would like to move him, I am assuming the Sabres are in the same boat with McCormick.

Plus since Feaster took the reigns in Calgary he and Regier have made a couple deals.

That just seems like poor asset management, considering he has been playing, not a healthy scratch...unless they were "showcasing" him, which is really absurd. Plus not like Pegula cares about the salary...

No idea what this move is supposed to accomplish at all. Trying to trade him, fine...but no reason to put him through waivers unless you absolutely need the roster spot. Just hold on to him and maybe someone deals for him at the deadline or something.

birddog* 02-20-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpezDispenser (Post 60095735)

Ottawa is interested in everyone these days. Even MAB.

birddog* 02-20-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caley (Post 60095523)

Normally I might agree but the management team in Buffalo is stoic. The team is in need of a coaching change so bad.

Like Wilson in Toronto -- Ruff needs to go. Doubt anything happens unless ownership fires both.

Jordo 02-20-2013 11:33 AM

Didnt Ennis get rocked in Buffalos last game into the end boards? Probably injured.

caley 02-20-2013 11:34 AM

So, the big question is: would a package of Ehrhoff and Ennis be enough to land Ryan O'Reilly? In theory, Colorado's getting what they would want: a Top 4 defenceman and a Top 6 forward (Not a center)?

If teams were unwilling to make a deal for McCormick, I'd guess that he will clear waivers, unless Buffalo was refusing to take a body back or asking for too much, that is.

birddog* 02-20-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 (Post 60096079)
I don't see why they'd do that. Porter's Rochester's captain and a good AHLer. McCormick played well for his role in the couple games he was dressed for. Not sure why they'd swap the two. But then Lindy Ruff is making the coaching/line-up decisions. If they're clearing space for a call-up, I think it might be McNabb or Pardy. We have a lot of d-men on the roster, but not enough playing well. Wouldn't hurt to see them in NHL action, I guess.

I'm hoping it's for a trade though. Red rover, red rover, send ROR over!

just wondering do people think that ROR will fix their ailing team?

SpezDispenser 02-20-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CornKicker (Post 60096057)
lol no one even mentioned myers

Oh yeah, I thought he was in the OP's paragraph, but I see it was Ennis. Myers has been scratched often enough that I'm sure he's not untouchable anymore, but that was my mistake.

captaincrunch89 02-20-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caley (Post 60096895)
So, the big question is: would a package of Ehrhoff and Ennis be enough to land Ryan O'Reilly? In theory, Colorado's getting what they would want: a Top 4 defenceman and a Top 6 forward (Not a center)?

If teams were unwilling to make a deal for McCormick, I'd guess that he will clear waivers, unless Buffalo was refusing to take a body back or asking for too much, that is.

I'm going to doubt they trade Ehrhoff, he actually was banged up a bit last night, so a day off makes sense there. Ennis on the other hand was not.

Boose30 02-20-2013 11:35 AM

one or both of gerbe/leopold get traded soon

New Sabres Captain 02-20-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caley (Post 60096895)

Ehrhoff and Ennis is an overpayment...but would Colorado take on Ehrhoff's contract? Granted, the biggest money part is over...but you're still looking at a lot of dough over the next few years.

And Ehrhoff has a limited NTC.

SpezDispenser 02-20-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birddog (Post 60096629)
Ottawa is interested in everyone these days. Even MAB.

Sure, why not? Massive injuries in Ottawa, some holes to fill. I'd hope Murray's in on ever potential scenario.