HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Winter Classic 2014 - announcement coming in "spring" (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1355513)

LadyStanley 02-20-2013 12:47 PM

Winter Classic 2014 - announcement coming in "spring"

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...n-early-spring
"Early spring" announcement expected

kuklaskorner 8:20am via dlvr.it - THE MALIK REPORT: The 2014 Winter Classic will be a Red Wings-Maple Leafs affair: Via Michigan Hockey, I'm not... dlvr.it/2zJNdV

EyeOnHockey 8:25am via TweetDeck
In non-shocking development, details reportedly being finalized for 2014 Winter Classic in Michigan with Leafs-Wings cbsprt.co/VK5hNj

Buck Aki Berg 02-20-2013 01:09 PM

Glad to see these two teams kept top priority. Should be a good one :nod:

Pilky01 02-20-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 60098951)
I'm shocked!

And, no, I'm not quite as excited about this as the first time they announced. Only the NHL can come up with one of the best venues and stories possible for a WC, then screw it over with a lockout.

Yep.

Can't wait to see their press conference where they pretend like last year wasn't a colossal screw up. They should have never announced it in the first place.

I was always more interested in the OHL games anyway. More affordable tickets, less of a travel hassle, and I get to see my OHL team play outdoors. :yo:

sh724 02-20-2013 02:59 PM

They are just going to replay last years press conference with the new date edited in

IceAce 02-20-2013 04:42 PM

dammit, there go my hopes for a Coyotes/Panthers Winter Classic. :(

krudmonk 02-20-2013 05:12 PM

omg original six omg original six omg orifinal six omh irugoanl sux....

Mightygoose 02-20-2013 05:27 PM

The worst kept secret since the announcment of this year's game being cancelled.

Confucius 02-20-2013 06:08 PM

Not that I'm a Burke fan but too bad he won't be involved, I'm positive he would have had quite a few memorable musings.

Bullwine85 02-20-2013 07:13 PM

What it should be

On a side note, would love for 2015 to be Blues/Hawks at Busch Stadium, or Devils/Rangers at the Meadowlands

DuckJet 02-20-2013 07:17 PM

Phoenix Coyotes versus Columbus Blue Jackets.

molsonmuscle360 02-20-2013 07:40 PM

I still think they should do 2 outdoor games on New Years Day. One Winter Classic in the States and a Heritage Classic in Canada. The Heritage Classic was one of the best hockey experiences I ever had, even though it was like -42.

Confucius 02-20-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 (Post 60122555)
I still think they should do 2 outdoor games on New Years Day. One Winter Classic in the States and a Heritage Classic in Canada. The Heritage Classic was one of the best hockey experiences I ever had, even though it was like -42.

Agreed. I don't see the big deal. We are told U S fans don't care to watch Canadian teams, let alone 2 Canadian teams playing each other in Canada. We are told U S broadcasters and advertisers don't care about Canadian viewership of their programs. We are told Canadian fans will watch hockey everyday 24/7. So what's the big deal?

aqib 02-20-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 (Post 60122555)

You live in Fort McMurray, isn't that like a typical day there?

Shootmaster_44 02-21-2013 01:41 AM

I'm hoping in 2015 there is a doubleheader, two Eastern teams play somewhere and then the Kings/Ducks at the LA Coliseum. There was a persistent rumour about the Kings at the Rose Bowl, but there's a small annual football game that takes place New Years Day that would prevent that.

As corny as some might find this, I still think one year they should have one game on the Rideau Canal in Ottawa and one beachside in California or Florida. If the NHL is trying to bring in the casual fan with these games, holding it in a baseball/football stadium in the cold and snow isn't going to do it. But I can bet many casual sports fans would stop and watch a game in an unusual locale like on the beach or a frozen pond. Much like the novelty of the college basketball game on the air craft carrier, these settings make fans think I should check this out. Count me as someone who tunes in for these weird location games, but could careless about the Winter Classic in the cold and snow. To me that is been there, done that already.

However, the game in 1991 at the MGM Grand in Vegas still amazes me. I realize modern refrigeration technology is phenomenal, but having a game outdoors in 35 or 40 degree Celsius weather and the ice staying playable amazes me. Granted, from what I heard that game the ice was too hard and not as nice as it would've been playing inside.

sh724 02-21-2013 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 (Post 60149961)
I'm hoping in 2015 there is a doubleheader, two Eastern teams play somewhere and then the Kings/Ducks at the LA Coliseum. There was a persistent rumour about the Kings at the Rose Bowl, but there's a small annual football game that takes place New Years Day that would prevent that.

As corny as some might find this, I still think one year they should have one game on the Rideau Canal in Ottawa and one beachside in California or Florida. If the NHL is trying to bring in the casual fan with these games, holding it in a baseball/football stadium in the cold and snow isn't going to do it. But I can bet many casual sports fans would stop and watch a game in an unusual locale like on the beach or a frozen pond. Much like the novelty of the college basketball game on the air craft carrier, these settings make fans think I should check this out. Count me as someone who tunes in for these weird location games, but could careless about the Winter Classic in the cold and snow. To me that is been there, done that already.

However, the game in 1991 at the MGM Grand in Vegas still amazes me. I realize modern refrigeration technology is phenomenal, but having a game outdoors in 35 or 40 degree Celsius weather and the ice staying playable amazes me. Granted, from what I heard that game the ice was too hard and not as nice as it would've been playing inside.

I think I might enjoy it not being in a stadium as well but they would have to fill the area with bleachers taking away the effect and they would not get anywhere near enough bleachers in to make up for the amount of money they make on tickets.

The only way it would happen is if some rich guy pays the league whatever they would make on tickets and I highly doubt any one would spend that much money just for 1 NHL game

No Fun Shogun 02-21-2013 02:04 PM

What's to announce? Thought everybody knew that the Leafs @ Wings in Michigan was going to just be pushed back a year.

y2kcanucks 02-21-2013 02:06 PM

Will there be a 24/7 series?

Blue And Orange 02-21-2013 07:21 PM

Yea for 2015, I'd like to see a doubleheader of some sort.

January 1, 2015:

Rangers vs Devils at MetLife Stadium

Wild vs Avalanche at Coors Field

CHRDANHUTCH 02-21-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcanucks (Post 60168837)
Will there be a 24/7 series?

that's a question to be directed @ HBO Sports.

StoneColdFlower* 02-21-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue And Orange (Post 60184605)

January 1, 2015:

I would love to see Gary Bettman defend this to Canadians. It's utterly shocking to not see a heritage classic in Canada every ******* year. Is there a purpose behind not doing it?

IceAce 02-22-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue And Orange (Post 60184605)

January 1, 2015:

If they played at MetLife Stadium it would be Rangers/Islanders, they're not going to do a Rangers/Devils game in Queens for cripe's sake.

Pilky01 02-22-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PenguinPower420 (Post 60221675)
I would love to see Gary Bettman defend this to Canadians. It's utterly shocking to not see a heritage classic in Canada every ******* year. Is there a purpose behind not doing it?

The last thing I ever want to do is defend Bettman, but the reason the heritage classic isn't more of a staple is the fact that there aren't any suitable stadiums outside of Alberta. Every other big stadium in Canada is either domed (Skydome, Olympic Stadium, BC Place), too small (Molson Stadium, BMO Field), or not built yet (New Frank Clair, New Ivor Wynne).

BMO Field will eventually host one though, in spite of its size. I will bet it happens in 2015 or 2016. MLSE wants to host an entire festival and take advantage of BMO Field, Ricoh Coliseum and the Exhibition grounds. BMO may be a bit small, but it can be expanded, and they can charge offensively high prices, and can host a whole bunch of games (Leafs, Marlies, OHL, University, etc..). Also, as evidenced by the USA-Germany game at the World Championship a few years back, soccer stadiums are infinitely better suited for a hockey rink than NFL, CFL or MLB stadiums.

http://cdn.nhl.com/lightning/images/...sa-ger2-DL.jpg

StoneColdFlower* 02-22-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilky01 (Post 60239129)
The last thing I ever want to do is defend Bettman, but the reason the heritage classic isn't more of a staple is the fact that there aren't any suitable stadiums outside of Alberta. Every other big stadium in Canada is either domed (Skydome, Olympic Stadium, BC Place), too small (Molson Stadium, BMO Field), or not built yet (New Frank Clair, New Ivor Wynne).

BMO Field will eventually host one though, in spite of its size. I will bet it happens in 2015 or 2016. MLSE wants to host an entire festival and take advantage of BMO Field, Ricoh Coliseum and the Exhibition grounds. BMO may be a bit small, but it can be expanded, and they can charge offensively high prices, and can host a whole bunch of games (Leafs, Marlies, OHL, University, etc..). Also, as evidenced by the USA-Germany game at the World Championship a few years back, soccer stadiums are infinitely better suited for a hockey rink than NFL, CFL or MLB stadiums.

http://cdn.nhl.com/lightning/images/...sa-ger2-DL.jpg

All you need is one site. We can alternate between a Battle of Alberta and a neutral site regular season game between other Canadian teams.

Pilky01 02-22-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PenguinPower420 (Post 60268855)
All you need is one site. We can alternate between a Battle of Alberta and a neutral site regular season game between other Canadian teams.

And that neutral site would be...?

RomersWorld* 02-23-2013 02:26 AM

I wish they would have picked something like the Wings vs Blues instead of the Leafs vs Wings

It would be more beneficial to the sport IMO if they had it at Busch Stadium in St. Louis. They had a great team last year and have a good team this year and are still not drawing anywhere near what they should. The Blues should be a money maker and they are getting kind of trendy, but having the Winter Classic at Busch Stadium might just push them over the top. The Winter Classic in Chicago created a lot of buzz about hockey and it was great for the Hawks and the sport of hockey. I could see the same thing happening for St Louis and for the Blues since they have such a young team and a good one at that.

They could really capitalize on the Blues success and the young personalities on the team like Oshie, Pietrangelo, Perron, Backes, Tarasenko, ect. I think St Louis is a great market for hockey but they haven't been supporting the Blues as much as they should. It would be great to see another midwest team become like Detroit, Chicago, Minnesota..ect. They have great fans already but there is a lot more potential IMO. Just look at the St Louis Cardinals.

I think they missed an opportunity here that really would've done the sport well especially for the Western Conference. Not that the upcoming one won't though. That should be exciting as well although I personally am not thrilled about seeing a Canadian team in it.