HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Recalled/Assigned: Kevin Porter (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1355781)

vcv 02-20-2013 05:31 PM

Kevin Porter
 
Kevin Porter being brought up, per Darcy Regier

jBuds 02-20-2013 05:31 PM

Kevin Porter
 
AKA the ANSWER!

Myllz 02-20-2013 05:32 PM

Now that we know about Rolston coming up, I wonder if he's the one that wanted Porter to come up, hence ditching Cody.

joshjull 02-20-2013 05:32 PM

Porter coming up
 
In the presser Regier said he is coming up and it's why MCormick was waived.

Rob Paxon 02-20-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myllz (Post 60115703)
Now that we know about Rolston coming up, I wonder if he's the one that wanted Porter to come up, hence ditching Cody.

Doubt it, due to the timing of McCormick going through waivers.

indigoo 02-20-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myllz (Post 60115703)
Now that we know about Rolston coming up, I wonder if he's the one that wanted Porter to come up, hence ditching Cody.

If what Regier said is true; I don't think so. It seems that Cody being waived was the first decision, whilst deciding on what to do with Ruff. My guess is Cody/Porter was happening anyway.

Daz28 02-20-2013 05:38 PM

Do you think Kevin Porter is worth a look, or is management wrong about this? There was already a debate about this, and some felt he wasn't.

Robert2244 02-20-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daz28 (Post 60116067)

Do you think Kevin Porter is worth a look, or is management wrong about this? There was already a debate about this, and some felt he wasn't.


Why wouldn't he be worth a look? I guess cause Stafford, Hecht, Grigorenko, Gerbe and Kaleta are all tearing it up.

Daz28 02-20-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert2244 (Post 60116405)
Why wouldn't he be worth a look? I guess cause Stafford, Hecht, Grigorenko, Gerbe and Kaleta are all tearing it up.

MPO is yes, he is. The problem is why waive toughness, and a guy who was signed for next year, when guys like Jochen who really have no role in our future still remain? Hecht probably should have went out the door with Lindy, while a heart and soul bottom 6'er should have stayed. This is all dependent on them feeling Cody was in good health of course.

Robert2244 02-20-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daz28 (Post 60116753)
MPO is yes, he is. The problem is why waive toughness, and a guy who was signed for next year, when guys like Jochen who really have no role in our future still remain? Hecht probably should have went out the door with Lindy, while a heart and soul bottom 6'er should have stayed. This is all dependent on them feeling Cody was in good health of course.


How many tough guys that don't score do you need?

Daz28 02-20-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert2244 (Post 60116817)
How many tough guys that don't score do you need?

Three, but ideally they contribute somewhat, so I guess Scott out and Cody in makes more sense.

How many 35 year old, 20-25 point guys do you need sucking up 20 minutes a night on a team almost in last place? That's a good question too, isn't it? Especially when your trying to remove your soft team culture????

RattleYourSabre 02-20-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert2244 (Post 60116817)
How many tough guys that don't score do you need?

I realize it's only the AHL, but Porter currently leads the Amerks in points. In 48 GP he's got 44 points (15 G 29 A) and is a +8. For coming up to very likely be the fourth line MAYBE (but not likely) third line center, that's not too shabby. The sample size is this year, but he's been solid for Rochester. As someone who follows both teams (living in ROC) he will be missed by the Amerks. He's also got an 18% shooting percentage and he's 26 years old. Not bad for guy to take a look at, I'd say!

McCormick will be a welcome addition, of course, should he clear.

EDIT: Re-reading through this, I think you might have been talking about McCormick and not Porter. My bad. I'll leave the post, though, anyways :)

Robert2244 02-20-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daz28 (Post 60117073)
Three, but ideally they contribute somewhat, so I guess Scott out and Cody in makes more sense.

How many 35 year old, 20-25 point guys do you need sucking up 20 minutes a night on a team almost in last place? That's a good question too, isn't it? Especially when your trying to remove your soft team culture????

Yeah, I don't disagree that Hect is a waste. Also don't disagree with finding toughness that can play the game. Porter won't be the savior but he's certainly a guy that deserves a look.

slip 02-20-2013 06:11 PM

Band-aid on a severed arm type move. Yeah, sorry Darcy, the center cupboard is a tad bare. Oh, wait, you already knew that....

On a related note, I think Ruff signed his walking papers earlier this year when, upon being asked by a reporter who are his centers after Hodgson and Ennis, the first name to role off his tongue was "Matt Ellis..." If that wasn't a subtle shot across the bow aimed at Regier, well then I'm just being paranoid.

dire wolf 02-20-2013 06:14 PM

Well, I hope his recent play is a better predictor of his future than his total NHL numbers.

NHL Career: 163GP 25G 20A

Robert2244 02-20-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dire wolf (Post 60117759)
Well, I hope his recent play is a better predictor of his future than his total NHL numbers.

NHL Career: 163GP 25G 20A

He's not going to score 70 points if thats what you're thinking. In his first full year when actually given a chance with the Avs he had a solid year for a 3rd line guy. 14 goals, 11 assists and 126 hits in 74 games.

JPurp26 02-20-2013 06:42 PM

Porter will be Ruff's Ellis for Rolston

Daz28 02-20-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dire wolf (Post 60117759)
Well, I hope his recent play is a better predictor of his future than his total NHL numbers.

NHL Career: 163GP 25G 20A

Looks like better number than we could expect from Hecht over the next 2 years, right? Plus Porter's skills aren't diminished.

I really hope McCormick clears, and we trade Hecht.


...and buy out Lame-o.

...and fire...whoever needs it next!

RazielMoshman 02-20-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daz28 (Post 60117073)
Three, but ideally they contribute somewhat, so I guess Scott out and Cody in makes more sense.

How many 35 year old, 20-25 point guys do you need sucking up 20 minutes a night on a team almost in last place? That's a good question too, isn't it? Especially when your trying to remove your soft team culture????

Question (for anyone really)

I thought Cody didn't fight that much (or that well) after all his head issues last year?

He certainly doesn't play hockey well, what does he add?

Daz28 02-20-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazielMoshman (Post 60121557)
Question (for anyone really)

I thought Cody didn't fight that much (or that well) after all his head issues last year?

He certainly doesn't play hockey well, what does he add?

I posted a disclaimer on his health already.

Cody played hard(that's the opposite of soft), and Hecht won't be on the team next year anyways. Those are the only 2 I'm comparing. Trust me, I'm not out trying to make Cody seem Like Mario Lemieux.

A hard working and reliable teammate adds a lot to a soft, under-achieving team.

Rob Paxon 02-20-2013 07:48 PM

There's no reason not to give Porter a shot. He has NHL experience and has done a decent job in the past. He's having a really strong season in the AHL and has shown two-way play. The fact he's a player familiar to the incoming rookie coach is a bit of a bonus.

Zip15 02-20-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert2244 (Post 60118597)
He's not going to score 70 points if thats what you're thinking. In his first full year when actually given a chance with the Avs he had a solid year for a 3rd line guy. 14 goals, 11 assists and 126 hits in 74 games.

He scored 25 pts with his top four offensive linemates being Stastny, O'Reilly, Hejduk, and Duchene. He's not going to play with that level of teammate here, in all likelihood. Grist for the mill.

mgeise 02-20-2013 11:08 PM

No one is going to claim McCormick with his $1.2 million cap hit. There is almost no risk of losing him (and if someone claims him, it would be great), so why not give Porter a shot? This isn't a significant move with re-entry waivers gone.

beerme1 02-21-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J
Purp26;60119293
Porter will be Ruff's Ellis for Rolston

Funny. Reason to let go of Rolston and Regier at the end of the season then. But t o be fair if Porter contributes anything thats ten times what the high motor hard working Ellis brings.

S319R11S16 02-21-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myllz (Post 60115703)
Now that we know about Rolston coming up, I wonder if he's the one that wanted Porter to come up, hence ditching Cody.

Rolston found out about the move at 3:15 yesterday afternoon.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.