HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   All-Minnesota NHL Team (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1356035)

Jaykay 02-20-2013 10:47 PM

All-Minnesota NHL Team

I was bored and sick of looking at "Fire Yeo" and "Take the C from Koivu" threads so I cooked up an all-Minnesota team. I think I've seen this done on here before but it's always fun to look at how many good young players we are producing in this state. I know it's completely hypothetical and is never going to happen but this is a message board, so why not?

Forwards-

Zach Parise-David Backes-T.J. Oshie
Peter Mueller-Derek Stepan-Blake Wheeler
Matt Cullen-Jordan Schroeder-Kyle Okposo
Ryan Carter-Matt Hendricks-Jim O'Brien

Extra- Jamie Langenbrunner

The real strength is the defense, you've got 6 guys who play top pairing minutes for their current teams.

Ryan McDonagh-Dustin Byfuglien
Paul Martin-Erik Johnson
Alex Goligoski-Justin Faulk

Extras: Tom Gilbert, Nick Leddy, Matt Niskanen

Goaltending would be the weakness, not a single NHL regular from the state but I think Stalock, Lee and/or Eric Hartzell of Quinnipiac could break through soon. For now I would go with-

Alex Stalock
Mike Lee
Jeff Frazee

Anyone I'm forgetting/any changes you guys would make?

tomgilbertfan 02-20-2013 10:47 PM

Look at those goalies. Man.

Jaykay 02-20-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan (Post 60140021)
Look at those goalies. Man.

Kind of sad isn't it? Not sure what you could attribute it to other than the lack of games on the MN high school and college hockey schedule. Goalies definitely need a lot of games to develop but at the same time you've got a lot of great American goalies from other states who went the high school to college hockey route.

Billy Mays Here 02-20-2013 11:04 PM

Didn't realize Mueller was from Minnesota, nice. Isn't Jason Blake from Minnesota too?

Jaykay 02-20-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan (Post 60141095)
Didn't realize Mueller was from Minnesota, nice. Isn't Jason Blake from Minnesota too?

Yes, Blake is a Moorhead guy but I believe he retired last year.

IHaveNoCreativity 02-20-2013 11:09 PM

The team is great until you see the goalies lol.

Fel 96 02-20-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaykay (Post 60139947)
I think I've seen this done on here before but it's always fun to look at how many good young players we are producing in this state. I know it's completely hypothetical and is never going to happen but this is a message board, so why not?

Yeah and that thread was closed.

Generic User 02-20-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan (Post 60141095)
Didn't realize Mueller was from Minnesota, nice.

I went to school with him before he transferred to Bloomington. Used to sit by him in math and social studies. Nice kid but cocky (surprise surprise).

Fel 96 02-20-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Generic User (Post 60142563)
I went to school with him before he transferred to Bloomington. Used to sit by him in math and social studies. Nice kid but cocky (surprise surprise).

Ha, tell me about it.

I went to school with a certain CBJ propsect and he was the same. He's still like that on the ice as well but he's a good player at least.

Generic User 02-20-2013 11:40 PM

As far as the OP goes, if we made an all-time Minnesota team, the top 12 would be chalk full of 1st liners. And the goalie situation would look a lot better. Frank Brimsek, Jon Casey, Mike Karakas, Damian Rhodes were all Minnesota-born goalies with decent career numbers.

Blizzard6411 02-21-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Generic User (Post 60142563)

I did several events with him here in Washington while he was playing for the Everett Silvertips. Very nice kid.

Puhis 02-21-2013 12:17 AM

That team in the OP would be a contender for sure. And really, who needs a star goalie when you've got D like that? I mean, wow.

elnewby 02-21-2013 12:17 AM

And Bjugstad is not far away!

Not sure what Brock Nelson's NHL future is, but dang that kid is good.

Jaykay 02-21-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elnewby (Post 60145459)
And Bjugstad is not far away!

Not sure what Brock Nelson's NHL future is, but dang that kid is good.

I was very tempted to put Bjugstad at the 3C over Schroeder but I stuck with all NHL guys. Nelson and Anders Lee are both going to be good ones in a few years too.

Puhis 02-21-2013 12:34 AM

We need to combine Finland and Minnesota and create an NHL team from there.

Our weakness is D, so I don't think any Finn (maybe apart from Timonen) is going to make the roster. Otherwise, I'd lay it out like this:

Forwards:

Zach Parise-Mikko Koivu-Teemu Selänne
Peter Mueller-David Backes-T.J. Oshie
Matt Cullen-Saku Koivu-Tuomo Ruutu
Ryan Carter-Derek Stepan-Kyle Okposo

Extras/HM: Olli Jokinen, Ville Leino, Leo Komarov

Case can be made for OJ over Saku, but with his hot start in Anaheim, I couldn't justify leaving him out and I never liked Olli that much at all. Probably forgot someone there and I'm not sure if Stepan works as a 4th line center or not.

Defense:

Paul Martin-Erik Johnson
Kimmo Timonen - Tom Gilbert

Extras/HM: Alex Goligoski, Justin Faulk, Nick Leddy, Matt Niskanen, Sami Salo

Swapped Goli and Faulk out of the roster in favor of Timonen and Gilbert. Those two could be lethal together, and it brings some veteran experience to the line-up as well. Otherwise, not many Finnish contributions to the D, showcasing the sad state of our defense.

Goaltenders:

Pekka Rinne
Kari Lehtonen

Extras/HM: Niklas Bäckström, Tuukka Rask, Miikka Kiprusoff, Antti Niemi

Aaaand this is where we would kiss goodbye to the salary cap and just run with it. Goalie depth really shouldn't be an issue. :laugh:

Jaykay 02-21-2013 01:50 AM

And the newly created nation of Finnesota went on to defeat Canada in the 2014 Olympics.

Minnesota 02-21-2013 01:54 AM

Hopefully Kent Patterson makes an impact at the NHL level to boost our goaltending depth. ;)

Jaykay 02-21-2013 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnesota (Post 60150349)
Hopefully Kent Patterson makes an impact at the NHL level to boost our goaltending depth. ;)

Hopefully, it will be a tough road for him if he stays with Colorado though with three young goalies in Varlamov, Aittokallio, and Pickard all ahead of him at this point.

Puhis 02-21-2013 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaykay (Post 60150213)
And the newly created nation of Finnesota went on to defeat Canada in the 2014 Olympics.

http://i.imgur.com/4s81RTU.png

:naughty:

Now, can you imagine the collective rage of the whole Canada if that happened? Also, would make international hockey very interesting, especially the WJC:s.

Marlowe Syn 02-21-2013 04:32 AM

I took a twist on your time killer Jaykay. I went with an Minnesota college alum lineup.
Forwards:
Thomas Vanek(UofM) / David Backes(Mankato) / Phil Kessel(UofM)
Matt Read(Bemidji) / Jordan Schroeder(UofM) / Blake Wheeler(UofM)
Ryan Malone(SCSU) / Matt Cullen(SCSU) / Kyle Okposo(UofM)
Andreas Nodl(SCSU) / Matt Hendricks(SCSU) / Tim Jackman(Mankato)
Bench: Ryan Carter(Mankato)
Defense:
Alex Goligoski(UofM) / Erik Johnson(UofM)
Jason Garrison(UMD) / Matt Niskanen(UMD)
Paul Martin(UofM) / Justin Faulk(UMD)
Bench: Keith Ballard(UofM)
Nick Leddy(UofM)

Goalie:
Jeff Frazee(UofM)
Alex Stalock(UMD)

Still don't fare well between the pipes. Gonna have a lot of 7-6 games.

651* 02-21-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaykay (Post 60139947)
I was bored and sick of looking at "Fire Yeo" and "Take the C from Koivu" threads so I cooked up an all-Minnesota team. I think I've seen this done on here before but it's always fun to look at how many good young players we are producing in this state. I know it's completely hypothetical and is never going to happen but this is a message board, so why not?

Forwards-

Zach Parise-David Backes-T.J. Oshie
Peter Mueller-Derek Stepan-Blake Wheeler
Matt Cullen-Jordan Schroeder-Kyle Okposo
Ryan Carter-Matt Hendricks-Jim O'Brien

Extra- Jamie Langenbrunner

The real strength is the defense, you've got 6 guys who play top pairing minutes for their current teams.

Paul Martin-Erik Johnson
Alex Goligoski-Justin Faulk

Extras: Tom Gilbert, Nick Leddy, Matt Niskanen

Goaltending would be the weakness, not a single NHL regular from the state but I think Stalock, Lee and/or Eric Hartzell of Quinnipiac could break through soon. For now I would go with-

Alex Stalock
Mike Lee
Jeff Frazee

Anyone I'm forgetting/any changes you guys would make?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...669&highlight=

Dampland 02-21-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Generic User (Post 60143433)
As far as the OP goes, if we made an all-time Minnesota team, the top 12 would be chalk full of 1st liners. And the goalie situation would look a lot better. Frank Brimsek, Jon Casey, Mike Karakas, Damian Rhodes were all Minnesota-born goalies with decent career numbers.

... "and he's STONEWALLED by Casey on the breakaway!"

Who can forget Jon Casey.

Wildfish 02-21-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaykay (Post 60141317)
Yes, Blake is a Moorhead guy but I believe he retired last year.

He wanted to play. Couldn't find a contract. So he's retired.

Crimson Live 02-27-2013 04:35 PM

Nobody mentioning Jake Gardiner from Tonka?

Also Nelson will have a better career in the NHL than Bjugstad

tomgilbertfan 02-27-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Live (Post 60594733)
Nobody mentioning Jake Gardiner from Tonka? or Justin Faulk from South St. Paul?

Also Nelson will have a better career in the NHL than Bjugstad

Justin Faulk is in the OP's, and every other lineup too.