HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Baseball (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Do You Keep Score? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1356251)

Screw You Rick Nash 02-21-2013 08:16 AM

Do You Keep Score?

Let this be the official score-keeping thread.

I'm not the biggest baseball fan, but almost 100% of the time, I keep score when I'm watching.

Do you keep score? If so, do you use the traditional scoresheet, "Project Scoresheet," or the "Reisner Scoresheet"?

If you don't keep score, I'd recommend you look into it.

I'm going to try doing the Project Scoresheet this year and when I have some free time, I'll make a C++ program to record all the data.

Francesa 02-21-2013 08:30 AM

But can you make a Java program?

I don't keep score, seeing as I do not work professionally as a broadcaster, but rather casually.

Bruv 02-21-2013 12:26 PM

never really tried it

Screw You Rick Nash 02-21-2013 12:27 PM

I didn't learn Java yet in school.

robert terwilliger 02-21-2013 12:48 PM

i used to when i'd go to games as kid. somewhere in a box at my mom's house are the scorecards for the games we went to.

once i discovered that alcohol and baseball mix well at a baseball park? no. no i do not keep score.

No Fun Shogun 02-21-2013 01:15 PM

No, though I do know how to keep score. When I'm watching a game though, I prefer to just sit back and watch without any distractions.

Screw You Rick Nash 02-21-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun (Post 60169255)
No, though I do know how to keep score. When I'm watching a game though, I prefer to just sit back and watch without any distractions.

To me, watching baseball without a scorecard is distracting. Keeping score makes me focus on the game much more.

Big McLargehuge 02-21-2013 02:57 PM

I haven't done that since I was 10 or 11.

MurrayBannerman 02-21-2013 03:52 PM

I know how, just never did it.

BPR* 02-21-2013 04:07 PM

If I'm at the game,absolutely. Not when I'm watching on TV though.

Everlong 02-21-2013 04:38 PM

That would take away one of my hands that would normally be used to hold beers.

sparxx87 02-21-2013 04:45 PM

Why though?

I don't see the purpose in it? Are you going to go back and reference it? Always seemed like a pointless waste of time and paper to me.

I understand why the scorekeeper does so, but never understood why a fan would?

AdmiralsFan24 02-21-2013 05:13 PM

Very, very rarely. Have to be in the mood to do it.

DoubleDose86 02-21-2013 05:14 PM

When I was younger I was a score keeper for the age group below me.

So when I went to games, I did. Now no.

BPR* 02-21-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparxx87 (Post 60179747)
Why though?

I don't see the purpose in it? Are you going to go back and reference it? Always seemed like a pointless waste of time and paper to me.

Because I enjoy it?

Screw You Rick Nash 02-21-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparxx87 (Post 60179747)
Why though?

1. You could save it
2. It's fun
3. You could notice trends in the game that an announce might not mention

PanthersPens62 02-21-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun (Post 60169255)

Same here.

DennisReynolds 02-21-2013 06:55 PM

My hands are usually busy shoving food down my throat.

sparxx87 02-21-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slim Charles (Post 60181185)
Because I enjoy it?

I wasn't trying to offend, just don't see the reasoning in it..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker McDonald (Post 60182189)
1. You could save it
2. It's fun
3. You could notice trends in the game that an announce might not mention

Save it for what though? I'm not trying to be rude, I see people do it all the time I just don't see the purpose of it? Do you go back and reference it? Doesn't baseball reference record all that data?

Francesa 02-21-2013 08:24 PM

I was surprised that people like Joe Buck and other such television broadcasters keep score while they're calling the game. Again, I only do the play by play casually for the forums for leisure purposes, couldn't do that as a full-time job

robert terwilliger 02-21-2013 08:37 PM

buck isn't really keeping score. he's just doodling little men playing football.

BPR* 02-21-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparxx87 (Post 60199979)

The reasoning is because I find it enjoyable. It's nice to have a record of what is going on, but primarily it's just something I've come to associate with being at a baseball game and still enjoy doing.

Screw You Rick Nash 02-21-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparxx87 (Post 60199979)

Save it for what though? I'm not trying to be rude, I see people do it all the time I just don't see the purpose of it? Do you go back and reference it? Doesn't baseball reference record all that data?

Do you not save anything? Do you save tickets to a hockey game? Sometimes I go back to reference it. And no, you can't find everything that's on a scorecard on Baseball-Reference. There's much more situational things on a scorecard like who's on base during an AB, the pitch count--which not everyone keeps track of, but I do--, and much more. I just started to save my scorecards and I have only two seasons even though I've been doing them for about ten years and I've probably looked at them about five times. Saving scorecards is like saving pictures.

worstfaceoffmanever 02-22-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ixcuincle (Post 60202167)
I was surprised that people like Joe Buck and other such television broadcasters keep score while they're calling the game. Again, I only do the play by play casually for the forums for leisure purposes, couldn't do that as a full-time job

I do play-by-play for a living; keeping score was the first thing I had to learn about covering baseball. It's especially vital in college and the minors, where they don't have stat monitors that you can readily reference. Everybody has their own little idiosyncrasies on the scorebook, too, so one could theoretically take that system on the road rather than having to adjust to someone else's system.

When a broadcaster says, "So-and-so is 0 for 3 tonight, flied out to right, grounded out to short, and struck out looking," he's referencing his scorebook, and will almost always be able to tell you the count when each out was recorded. The guys who are really good can get the pitch counts for each guy on the mound, but I can't keep a train of thought running in the background like that for five or six innings.

IU Hawks fan 02-22-2013 11:01 PM

I was the scorekeeper for my brother's team when he was in 8th grade, I was a SR in high school.

But no, I have never kept score at a Major League game. No interest in it at all.