HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Brian Munz... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1356927)

BuffsEnough 02-21-2013 09:09 PM

Brian Munz...
 
I don't mean to make a sour thread bashing the guy or anything, but is anyone else frustrated with the lack of quality from this guys broadcasts on TSN 1290? I usually work during weekday games so I am often forced to listen to him and have gotten really frustrated and tired of him. He calls the play as if it were a TV broadcast-where we were watching and had a picture of the game. I find him to be very un-descriptive and vague as to what is actually happening.

I remember one time I heard "Antropov, gets the puck in...Antropov in his 7th game blah blah blah blah (irrelevant etc. etc.) aaaand we'll take a break and be back after this!" I remember thinking to myself "what?! What just happened?! there was a stop in play? Where? Why!?" Usually I find myself wondering what time it is in the period and/or what the score is when I tune in for a long period of time.

Peter Maher, the voice of the Flames, said it really well once. Always say the time/score often, and remember your audience can't see the play so paint a picture with your words. I find myself frustrated at the lack of this with Brian Munz-I feel like he's better suited for TV broadcasting. Dennis Beyak has been a fair bit better on the radio. Does anyone else agree, or is it just me?

sipowicz 02-21-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffsEnough (Post 60211711)
I don't mean to make a sour thread bashing the guy or anything, but is anyone else frustrated with the lack of quality from this guys broadcasts on TSN 1290? I usually work during weekday games so I am often forced to listen to him and have gotten really frustrated and tired of him. He calls the play as if it were a TV broadcast-where we were watching and had a picture of the game. I find him to be very un-descriptive and vague as to what is actually happening.

I remember one time I heard "Antropov, gets the puck in...Antropov in his 7th game blah blah blah blah (irrelevant etc. etc.) aaaand we'll take a break and be back after this!" I remember thinking to myself "what?! What just happened?! there was a stop in play? Where? Why!?" Usually I find myself wondering what time it is in the period and/or what the score is when I tune in for a long period of time.

Peter Maher, the voice of the Flames, said it really well once. Always say the time/score often, and remember your audience can't see the play so paint a picture with your words. I find myself frustrated at the lack of this with Brian Munz-I feel like he's better suited for TV broadcasting. Dennis Beyak has been a fair bit better on the radio. Does anyone else agree, or is it just me?

I thought Munz reached a plateau with AHL hockey, an NHL quality broadcaster he is not. TSN 1290 would be wise to entice Kelly Moore over from CJOB for an improvement in play by play.

Pavelec4MVP 02-21-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sipowicz (Post 60213709)
I thought Munz reached a plateau with AHL hockey, an NHL quality broadcaster he is not. TSN 1290 would be wise to entice Kelly Moore over from CJOB for an improvement in play by play.

Rather have munz over moore

But i rarely listen to games on the radio so it doesnt matter much to me

Bob E 02-21-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffsEnough (Post 60211711)
I don't mean to make a sour thread bashing the guy or anything, but is anyone else frustrated with the lack of quality from this guys broadcasts on TSN 1290? I usually work during weekday games so I am often forced to listen to him and have gotten really frustrated and tired of him. He calls the play as if it were a TV broadcast-where we were watching and had a picture of the game. I find him to be very un-descriptive and vague as to what is actually happening.

I remember one time I heard "Antropov, gets the puck in...Antropov in his 7th game blah blah blah blah (irrelevant etc. etc.) aaaand we'll take a break and be back after this!" I remember thinking to myself "what?! What just happened?! there was a stop in play? Where? Why!?" Usually I find myself wondering what time it is in the period and/or what the score is when I tune in for a long period of time.

Peter Maher, the voice of the Flames, said it really well once. Always say the time/score often, and remember your audience can't see the play so paint a picture with your words. I find myself frustrated at the lack of this with Brian Munz-I feel like he's better suited for TV broadcasting. Dennis Beyak has been a fair bit better on the radio. Does anyone else agree, or is it just me?

I agree. Glad it wasn't just me.

Munz is very difficult to listen too. Too, many times he says things like "Now Buff has it in his zone, ahead to wheeler. Jets will want to change. You know the weather has been great this week in Raleigh except today. It's dumped in. Now a turnover in the corner. Shot! oh, Staal just missed."

Wha? Carolina is in OUR zone? How did that happen?

TroubaFan1 02-21-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sipowicz (Post 60213709)
I thought Munz reached a plateau with AHL hockey, an NHL quality broadcaster he is not. TSN 1290 would be wise to entice Kelly Moore over from CJOB for an improvement in play by play.

Agreed, I used to listen to Moose games at work called by Kelly. It was almost like I was watching the game.

sully1410 02-21-2013 10:04 PM

I always liked Bob Irving

hockey-brent 02-21-2013 10:05 PM

Munz is minor league. Unfortunately he was hired as a result of True North's loyalty (same goes with Noel - who I have no issues with however).

Never liked Kelly Moore either, sounds and looks like a scruffy bum.

Ok, I'll say it... BRING BACK KEILBACK!

Hank Chinaski 02-21-2013 10:14 PM

To be perfectly honest, I've yet to hear Munz call a Jets game. I've managed to catch every game either live or on TV. One of these days I'll mute the commentary (probably during a Dean Brown or Mark Lee snoozefest on CBC). Based on what I've heard around here, I'll be keeping my expectations pretty low.

With Kelly Moore, I didn't mind him calling Jets and Moose games to be honest. No he didn't have the best voice, at least not as good as Keilback, but I love how detailed and sharp he was when calling the games. Also loved his little editorial remarks; I'll never forget when he basically called out Fedor Fedorov on a broadcast for playing like he was hungover. :laugh:

allan5oh 02-21-2013 10:23 PM

I thought JP Vigier was great on the Buffalo game. He was able to really paint a picture as to what each team was trying, etc..

sting13 02-21-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully1410 (Post 60219985)
I always liked Bob Irving

Bob Irving never called hockey games.

sully1410 02-21-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sting13 (Post 60228501)
Bob Irving never called hockey games.

I know.

How hard could it be though?

LadyJet26 02-22-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski (Post 60220929)
To be perfectly honest, I've yet to hear Munz call a Jets game. I've managed to catch every game either live or on TV. One of these days I'll mute the commentary (probably during a Dean Brown or Mark Lee snoozefest on CBC). Based on what I've heard around here, I'll be keeping my expectations pretty low.

With Kelly Moore, I didn't mind him calling Jets and Moose games to be honest. No he didn't have the best voice, at least not as good as Keilback, but I love how detailed and sharp he was when calling the games. Also loved his little editorial remarks; I'll never forget when he basically called out Fedor Fedorov on a broadcast for playing like he was hungover. :laugh:

Fedorov probably was.:shakehead

Pavelec4MVP 02-22-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully1410 (Post 60229141)
I know.

How hard could it be though?

I cant stand him doing bomber games
he is so annoying

Grind 02-22-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockey-brent (Post 60220063)
Munz is minor league. Unfortunately he was hired as a result of True North's loyalty (same goes with Noel - who I have no issues with however).

Never liked Kelly Moore either, sounds and looks like a scruffy bum.

Ok, I'll say it... BRING BACK KEILBACK!

If commentary play by play etc is not co trolled by the team but wjoeverbthey grant the rights to (is tsn not tnse) how could tense have had to do with hmthe hiring of munz over someone else?

Did they calk tsn and say you have to hire this guy to do it?

hockey-brent 02-22-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grind (Post 60238777)
If commentary play by play etc is not co trolled by the team but wjoeverbthey grant the rights to (is tsn not tnse) how could tense have had to do with hmthe hiring of munz over someone else?

Did they calk tsn and say you have to hire this guy to do it?

Hello autocorrect!

If you think the Jets don't have influence over who TSN has announcing their games, you're a silly boy... It's their product they are selling and dictate how they want it presented.

I'm sure Beyak got the job as well because of his relationship with TSN/Leafs TV in Toronto (where TSN is based of course) along with his Manitoba roots. Difference between Munz and Beyak however is that Dennis is great. Great guy too.

GrandChelems 02-22-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockey-brent (Post 60240205)
Hello autocorrect!

If you think the Jets don't have influence over who TSN has announcing their games, you're a silly boy... It's their product they are selling and dictate how they want it presented.

I'm sure Beyak got the job as well because of his relationship with TSN/Leafs TV in Toronto (where TSN is based of course) along with his Manitoba roots. Difference between Munz and Beyak however is that Dennis is great. Great guy too.

Besides, if it weren't for Beyek, we wouldn't hear every player referred to in reference in their ex-team.

Tangradi - the ex Penguin
Wellwood - the ex Leaf
Ladd - the ex Hurricaine (who also played for Chicago)
Antropov - the ex Leaf

... and so on

shakey1 02-22-2013 09:53 AM

I'd like to see Hnidy become Beyak's full time sidekick.

Conflicted Habs fan 02-22-2013 10:04 AM

When the Jets make the playoffs, I hope cbc will bring in Keilback and have Jennifer Hanson sing the anthems. The universe will be aligned perfectly also when they play Van Halens Jump and retire Hull's number 9, Selanne's number 13, and Hawerchuk's number 10.
As it stands today TSNE is ignoring Winnipeg's past NHL roots

Pavelec4MVP 02-22-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conflicted Habs fan (Post 60242385)
As it stands today TSNE is ignoring Winnipeg's past NHL roots

So what?

Different franchise to begin with.
If they didnt bend over to the whiny fans about this team needing to be named the Jets no one would care.

cheswick 02-22-2013 10:13 AM

Completely agree that a play call should differ between radio and television. More description of the play is necessary on radio. Beyak is no better when he does radio games.


Personally find lately that Beyak often calls the wrong players name at least once a game. He once called Thorburn Hainsey. Like their numbers aren't even close. Not sure how you make that mistake. Also I find his voice irritating.

I'd far prefer Moore doign the games. He's got a sweet voice. No Keilbach but better than Beyak/Munz.

BuffsEnough 02-22-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grind (Post 60238777)
If commentary play by play etc is not co trolled by the team but wjoeverbthey grant the rights to (is tsn not tnse) how could tense have had to do with hmthe hiring of munz over someone else?

Did they calk tsn and say you have to hire this guy to do it?


dude what calculator did you type that out with!!

BuffsEnough 02-22-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob E (Post 60219249)
I agree. Glad it wasn't just me.

Munz is very difficult to listen too. Too, many times he says things like "Now Buff has it in his zone, ahead to wheeler. Jets will want to change. You know the weather has been great this week in Raleigh except today. It's dumped in. Now a turnover in the corner. Shot! oh, Staal just missed."

Wha? Carolina is in OUR zone? How did that happen?


Bingo!!! my point exactly! In fact almost that exact scenerio happened yesterday and I yelled at my radio (instinctively) "What?! How did that happen?! Details please!?"

Bob E 02-22-2013 11:55 AM

My favorite is when Munz says things like (last year)...

"Buff, over to wheeler, he's by the dman, right in. Shot! Score!!! Wellwood!".

Wellwood? Didn't even know he was on ice. See the highlights later, it was a 2on1 from the blue line in. Wheeler was passing it all the way. And wellwood scored a nice goal. But listening to the game, you would have no idea they had a play like that happening.

PerryPooley 02-22-2013 12:01 PM

Munz's broadcast voice and overall style has WHL written all over it.
Kelly Moore always sounded like he swallowed a bear cub.

PaperRockChamp 02-22-2013 12:16 PM

Who is the hack who sits with Rick Ralph for the post-game? That guy is useless.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.