HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Third Line LW, who to go after? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1357309)

Cory Trevor 02-22-2013 05:00 AM

Third Line LW, who to go after?

I've comprised a list of LWs as well as those players who can play general for third line forward. Seeing what people would like to take a run at before the Trade Deadline. Listing only UFAs and possibly pieces that could move...

Morrow, Brenden
Clowe, Ryane
Gagne, Simon
Ryder, Michael
Boyes, Brad
Wolski, Wojtek
Fehr, Eric
Hendricks, Matt
Miller, Drew
Penner, Dustin
Filppula, Valtteri
Prospal, Vinny
Hejduk, Milan
Higgins, Chris
Cullen, Matt

smithformeragent 02-22-2013 05:03 AM

I think they ride it out with Bourque and hope he finds the scoring touch because he has a very affordable cap hit next year. I'd rather they go after another defenseman as I am not impressed with Andrew Ference this year. Hamilton has been good, but another defenseman who can skate with the puck would put them over the top in my opinion.

Also, they have the option of dealing for someone with years left on a contract and exercising an amnesty buyout after the season, but this would result in Jacobs paying a guy 2-3 years salary for what amounts to a few months or less of service. We're not sure that ownership would afford Chiarelli that luxury.

Quaider* 02-22-2013 05:05 AM

Clowe is the only player of interest on the list. The rest are basically a bunch of wash-ups.

Clowe, on the other hand, would be a perfect fit and a guy we could sign to a long-term deal.

Who would we give up for him? They won't be interested in our overpaid vets like Kelly, Pev or Boychuk. Do we have any real prospects to offer?

Trap Jesus 02-22-2013 05:55 AM

Morrow or Clowe would be perfect fits, but I don't know why either the Stars or Sharks would part with them.

Alicat 02-22-2013 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trap Jesus (Post 60236007)
Morrow or Clowe would be perfect fits, but I don't know why either the Stars or Sharks would part with them.

We almost got Morrow last year but Dallas went on that crazy run. OOG can elaborate if he wants to.

JMiller 02-22-2013 06:17 AM

Bourque has been the best player on that line for a week now. It will be interesting to see where things are when the deadline approaches.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot 02-22-2013 06:31 AM

Paille. End of thread. Its criminal keeping him on the fourth line.

I don't see us getting anyone that good in a trade. Should have dumped TT in the offseason and let Kelly walked and got Semin.

hubby1746 02-22-2013 06:47 AM

Cal Clutterbuck would be perfect, depending on his cap situation. Also Ryan Smith and Alfy

Alicat 02-22-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hubby1746 (Post 60236547)
Cal Clutterbuck would be perfect, depending on his cap situation. Also Ryan Smith and Alfy

After last night, Buck is off the table

ReggieMoto 02-22-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe (Post 60236329)
Paille. I don't see us getting anyone that good in a trade.

This is not a bad scenario. Pick up a replacement 4th liner rather than try to find a decent 3rd liner. Does he play the left side?

Latrappe 02-22-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe (Post 60236329)
Paille. End of thread. Its criminal keeping him on the fourth line.

I don't see us getting anyone that good in a trade. Should have dumped TT in the offseason and let Kelly walked and got Semin.

Criminal? Paille, while being a good player for us, have stone hands. He's working hard and use his speed well but if we're about to upgrade the 3rd line, i assume it's because we need more " scoring ". In that regard, Paille doesn't fit the bill.

Schalkenullvier* 02-22-2013 07:09 AM

I'd rather have someone who can score more than Clutterbuck.

Alfie or Ryder would be perfect

Morris Wanchuk 02-22-2013 07:11 AM

Did people watch the 2011 SCF run? Do you not remember the 3rd line bailing the team out and having a 20 goal scorer on it?

But yea, they will be just fine without one.

Kiss My Rask 02-22-2013 07:25 AM

It doesn't have to be LW seeing how Pevs is comfortably playing either side

Clowe would be nice, gives the 3rd line more grit and size

TCL40 02-22-2013 07:29 AM

I like Clutterbuck-but seems like he would be more of a 4th liner to free up Pie for the 3rd.

I would rather them keep Pie on the 4th and find somebody big with a scorer's touch.

Bourque may be playing better but he isn't what that line needs and neither Kelly or Peverly are going anywhere right now.

I don't know who is available, but I would like to see Chia try to make a move sooner rather than later.

This team isn't going to get anywhere near the cup with the 3rd line invisible and not scoring and shifting Pie to the 3rd and calling up MacDermid is only a stop gap, it isn't going to create a cup team either.

JMiller 02-22-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk (Post 60236945)
Did people watch the 2011 SCF run? Do you not remember the 3rd line bailing the team out and having a 20 goal scorer on it?

But yea, they will be just fine without one.

No one on the third line scored 20 goals that season.
Ryder had 18
Kelly had 14 (2 in 24 games as a bruin)
Peverly had 18 (4 in 23 games a Bruin)

MarshmontMcSlewfoot 02-22-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latrappe (Post 60236867)
Criminal? Paille, while being a good player for us, have stone hands. He's working hard and use his speed well but if we're about to upgrade the 3rd line, i assume it's because we need more " scoring ". In that regard, Paille doesn't fit the bill.

Sure. BUt a defensively sound shutdown 3rd liner with good hands is going to actually be a 1st liner making 5 mil or more who we can't trade for.

Its harder to make a trade as well with most NHL teams in contention.

Paille has stone hands everyone knows that but he is playing well, gets chances, and between him and Kelly 2 guys with bad hands I think there can be respectable offensive totals inspite of the inevitable muffs they'll have offensively.

You put Paille there and you have an elite defensive 3rd line. Right now its just awkward with Bourque he is too small. He is fine as a stop gap measure but he's a liability as a regular in our top 9. I am sick of Chris Bourque even when he plays OK it doesn't amount to much and the sacrifice we make in terms of size and strength with him is not worth it. No problems with him as 13th forward but thats it.

Jordan Caron won't bail us out when he returns from injury. With Kelly sucking so much I can't understand not putting a speedy gritty Vet next to him to help him out.

I also have no problems demoting Kelly to the 4th and having Campbell and Paille play with Peverley if Chris keeps struggling.

Rookie Chargers 02-22-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCL40 (Post 60237311)
I like Clutterbuck-but seems like he would be more of a 4th liner to free up Pie for the 3rd.

I would rather them keep Pie on the 4th and find somebody big with a scorer's touch.

Bourque may be playing better but he isn't what that line needs and neither Kelly or Peverly are going anywhere right now.

I don't know who is available, but I would like to see Chia try to make a move sooner rather than later.

This team isn't going to get anywhere near the cup with the 3rd line invisible and not scoring and shifting Pie to the 3rd and calling up MacDermid is only a stop gap, it isn't going to create a cup team either.

Considering the length of this season and the clustered games I doubt a smart GM makes a big move. I don't think a smart GM is going to judge his team too much for the future, not during the season anyways.

Fire Julien 02-22-2013 07:42 AM

Clowe
Ryder
Penner
Filppula

Absolutely no interest in any of the other guys.

Bill Ladd 02-22-2013 07:48 AM

I'm starting to think the B's would be better off making two acquisitions.

A guy with size and some goal scoring skill for the 3rd line (but not a top line type like Alfie/Iggy) AND a LH'd defenseman who could be a PP presence.

A Clowe/Streit combo. (Or players who fit that mold.)

Roll 4 Lines 02-22-2013 07:54 AM

I know, ex-Hab, current Canuck, but I think I'd like to see Chris Higgins on our left wing.

Flame away! :laugh:

Roll 4 Lines 02-22-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ladd (Post 60237727)
I'm starting to think the B's would be better off making two acquisitions.

A guy with size and some goal scoring skill for the 3rd line (but not a top line type like Alfie/Iggy) AND a LH'd defenseman who could be a PP presence.

A Clowe/Streit combo. (Or players who fit that mold.)

Streit would be a damm good addition, IMO.

I do suspect he'll be a bit expensive if the Isle continue to suck eggs. Could be a bit of a bidding war for him.

Bill Ladd 02-22-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMiller (Post 60236183)
Bourque has been the best player on that line for a week now. It will be interesting to see where things are when the deadline approaches.

I agree.

I do think the team needs size, and we talk about adding someone to that line who can score 20+ but we presume that it would be to play with Kelly and Peverley. With the way Bourque has been playing I'd actually like to see how that line would work with Bourque and the new guy.

If Bourque could (eventually) replace Peverley as the waterbug/offensive catalyst on that line he'd save them $2.75m against the cap next year.

JMiller 02-22-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ladd (Post 60238229)
I agree.

I do think the team needs size, and we talk about adding someone to that line who can score 20+ but we presume that it would be to play with Kelly and Peverley. With the way Bourque has been playing I'd actually like to see how that line would work with Bourque and the new guy.

If Bourque could (eventually) replace Peverley as the waterbug/offensive catalyst on that line he'd save them $2.75m against the cap next year.

I've been thinking the same thing lately. They both bring the same game (if Bourque can keep it up). Neither are suited in a 3rd line checking role and perhaps having both of em there is part of the problem. I don't know what kind of market would be out there for Peverly with his new deal.

Dom - OHL 02-22-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cory Trevor (Post 60235583)
I've comprised a list of LWs as well as those players who can play general for third line forward. Seeing what people would like to take a run at before the Trade Deadline. Listing only UFAs and possibly pieces that could move...

Morrow, Brenden
Clowe, Ryane
Gagne, Simon
Ryder, Michael
Boyes, Brad
Wolski, Wojtek
Fehr, Eric
Hendricks, Matt
Miller, Drew
Penner, Dustin
Filppula, Valtteri
Prospal, Vinny
Hejduk, Milan
Higgins, Chris
Cullen, Matt

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alycat (Post 60236123)
We almost got Morrow last year but Dallas went on that crazy run. OOG can elaborate if he wants to.

There was talk, but many things played into Dallas not doing the deal.

On the list above, Morrow is the most likeliest option there IMO.

All the Alfie talk was just speculation. He wants to remain in Ottawa, is flattered by the talk but wants to get Ottawa into the playoffs. Again, it was speculation based on "if" Ottawa falls out of contention and the connection with Boston would seem a fit. I'm not holding my breath for Alfie or Iginla for that matter.

Right now, as of February 22, 2013, It's my opinion that Ryan O'Reilly is at the top of the list. Still a long way to go to trade deadline however.