HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Danny Briere? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1357333)

Snotbubbles 02-22-2013 08:40 AM

Danny Briere?

Question for Nashville fans:

If Danny Briere waived his NTC, would the Predators have interest in him? If so, what would you give up for him.

Quick summary on Briere currently. He has two more years after this one at a 6.5M cap hit, but his actual salary is 3M next year and 2M the following. Briere is pretty average in the regular season (maybe a ~50 points), but come playoff time he really picks up his scoring (about a PPG player). He can play both center and wing, but is a liability on defense, especially if you play him at center. You can mask it a bit if he plays wing. Really good on the PP down low in the Gretzky area. Good leader and reallly a good team guy overall.

Firestorm 02-22-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snotbubbles (Post 60237531)

If Danny Briere waived his NTC, would the Predators have interest in him? If so, what would you give up for him.

Quick summary on Briere currently. He has two more years after this one at a 6.5M cap hit, but his actual salary is 3M next year and 2M the following. Briere is pretty average in the regular season (maybe a ~50 points), but come playoff time he really picks up his scoring (about a PPG player). He can play both center and wing, but is a liability on defense, especially if you play him at center. You can mask it a bit if he plays wing. Really good on the PP down low in the Gretzky area. Good leader and reallly a good team guy overall.

What would it cost us?

jlsg 02-22-2013 08:59 AM

At 35 years old and declining stats I really don't see what he can offer us for what we would have to give up.

triggrman 02-22-2013 09:00 AM

with his defense, he wouldn't see 7 min a game with Trotz

Snotbubbles 02-22-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestorm (Post 60237823)
What would it cost us?

1st rounder or D prospect + lower pick

Snotbubbles 02-22-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsg (Post 60237979)
At 35 years old and declining stats I really don't see what he can offer us for what we would have to give up.

Declining, yes. But he would still be a top line player for Nashville. He does have 10 points in 15 games this year so it's not like he's totally lost it and he's not even on the Flyers top PP unit. He could see quite a bit more points if you put him on the top PP unit in Nashville.

But even so, in the playoffs he seems to pick his offensive game up quite a bit. Defensively he still sucks. But with a team like Nashville I think you could mask his defensive liabilities a bit. He's still a PPG player in the playoffs and he seems to score big goals all the time. That's really what this trade would be about for Nashville.

AdmiralsFan24 02-22-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman (Post 60238013)
with his defense, he wouldn't see 7 min a game with Trotz

Yeah I saw defensive liability and thought no way this happens. He would have to be a significantly better scorer to make up for the defense.

AtlantaWhaler 02-22-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snotbubbles (Post 60239083)

I'd consider any D on the farm not named Ekholm and a mid round pick. Can't see the motivation for the Flyers for that though, unless they're really desperate to pick up the cap space.

PredsV82 02-22-2013 10:38 AM

I kn ow "its just business" but I really dont see us dealing with the Flyers any time soon unless its a really sweet deal for us....

RaiderDoug 02-22-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snotbubbles (Post 60237531)

Those 4 bolded words make this a non-starter for us.

triggrman 02-22-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snotbubbles (Post 60239083)

Do not want.

Jonesey 02-22-2013 11:44 AM

Yeah, I don't see Poile lighting up the phone lines in Philly on this one. We'll pass.

jlsg 02-22-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snotbubbles (Post 60239391)
Declining, yes. But he would still be a top line player for Nashville. He does have 10 points in 15 games this year so it's not like he's totally lost it and he's not even on the Flyers top PP unit. He could see quite a bit more points if you put him on the top PP unit in Nashville.

But even so, in the playoffs he seems to pick his offensive game up quite a bit. Defensively he still sucks. But with a team like Nashville I think you could mask his defensive liabilities a bit. He's still a PPG player in the playoffs and he seems to score big goals all the time. That's really what this trade would be about for Nashville.

He wouldn't be worth what we would have to give up. If Philly says yes to a 7th rounder and a bag of pucks, then sure. But you mention d prospect or 1st rounder, not even close to value.

Neal Before Zod 02-22-2013 03:44 PM

Briere for a Shea Weber autographed puck.

barrytrotzsneck 02-22-2013 05:18 PM

I like Briere, especially as a postseason player, but he's 35 and has had trouble staying healthy. Unless the price was REALLY right, I think we could do better with our assets.

Paranoid Android 02-22-2013 06:50 PM

I would have been all over a deal like this a couple years ago, but he doesn't really fit in our plans right now.

The fact that he is not so great defensively doesn't bother me at all though. We need some guys on our team that think offense first.