HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Buffalo-San Jose (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1357443)

MayDayMayDay 02-22-2013 10:56 AM

Buffalo-San Jose

:sharks
Miller

:sabres
Niemi
Wingels
1st

Miller's been my favorite player since high school, but in the event he's moved, I think this might be the most sensible scenario. Buffalo gets a stop-gap goalie w/ the opportunity to still keep them competitive at that position during the rebuild, a solid two-way forward to build around moving forward, and the pick. Sharks get arguably the best goalie in the world who turns it on in the playoffs, and Miller gets to be in Cali w/ his boo. Just starting the conversation. Input please.

zombiekopitor 02-22-2013 10:57 AM

never

Arrch 02-22-2013 10:58 AM

Sharks have zero interest in spending assets to acquire Miller.

hockeyball 02-22-2013 11:00 AM

Niemi is playing fantastic hockey right now. He's been our MVP, absolutely no doubt about that, and he already has a cup. I like Miller, but I don't see the point. We take on an older goalie, with a higher cap hit, lose one of our few promising young wingers, and our 1st.

How does that make the Sharks better. I literally cannot imagine Niemi playing any better than he has, he's been nearly perfect the entire season (1 bad game so far).

MayDayMayDay 02-22-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 60245453)
Niemi is playing fantastic hockey right now. He's been our MVP, absolutely no doubt about that, and he already has a cup. I like Miller, but I don't see the point. We take on an older goalie, with a higher cap hit, lose one of our few promising young wingers, and our 1st.

How does that make the Sharks better. I literally cannot imagine Niemi playing any better than he has, he's been nearly perfect the entire season (1 bad game so far).

Miller's been stellar as well, despite being hung out to dry night in and night out. As bad as we've been, our record would be a lot worse w/o him. Most Sabre fans shudder to think what kind of numbers he would put up behind a decently talented blue line. Nevertheless, what do the two teams add between them to work out a deal??

Vertzedyek 02-22-2013 11:06 AM

No.. Let's just do Clowe for Stafford. :naughty:

p.l.f. 02-22-2013 11:08 AM

mike brown for scott

chadthestampede 02-22-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertzedyek (Post 60245773)
No.. Let's just do Clowe for Stafford. :naughty:

I would do this.

Arrch 02-22-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjeurekasky (Post 60245723)
Nevertheless, what do the two teams add between them to work out a deal??

Nothing. Goaltending isn't a problem for us, so there is no use in wasting assets to improve it.

sba 02-22-2013 11:19 AM

Not worth it for SJ, Niemi has been great this season.

hockeyball 02-22-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjeurekasky (Post 60245723)
Miller's been stellar as well, despite being hung out to dry night in and night out. As bad as we've been, our record would be a lot worse w/o him. Most Sabre fans shudder to think what kind of numbers he would put up behind a decently talented blue line. Nevertheless, what do the two teams add between them to work out a deal??

We simply do not need a goal-tending change and cannot afford Miller. Unless Buffalo wants to eat a bunch of salary and include something we actually need (young wingers) it doesn't make sense for us.

The players we would have interest in would be Stafford, Ennis, Hodgson. That's about it. I'm a big Miller fan, but because of the cap hit/contract length I'd prefer to keep Niemi, and if we were going to swap goalies you would have to make it worth wild for us, not vice versa. I just think it's a bad basis for a deal.

The Architect 02-22-2013 11:26 AM

He double hockey sticks to the no.

Sharks4Life 02-22-2013 11:37 AM

While I do understand that the sabres have not being playing well as a team which could/would affect millers stats the difference isn't even close. The issue here is the sharks would be trading away their best player so far as well as a prospect that is liked by the fan base and a 1st for a goalie that doesn't help us become a better team.

Niemi:

W-L-OTL 7-2-3
SV% .933
GAA 1.86
SO 1

Miller:

W-L-OTL 6-9-1
SV% .915
GAA 2.87
SO -

WTFetus 02-22-2013 11:39 AM

No thank you. We don't need a goaltending change, and we already might have salary issues this off-season without Miller's contract.

DuckEatinShark 02-22-2013 11:42 AM

No way. Niemi is the MVP of our team so far. Without him we'd be out of a playoff spot. Wingels has been one of our most impressive 3rd liners this year.

Miller is better than Niemi, but not Wingels and a 1st better.

Djp 02-22-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharks4Life (Post 60247547)
While I do understand that the sabres have not being playing well as a team which could/would affect millers stats the difference isn't even close. The issue here is the sharks would be trading away their best player so far as well as a prospect that is liked by the fan base and a 1st for a goalie that doesn't help us become a better team.

Niemi:

W-L-OTL 7-2-3
SV% .933
GAA 1.86
SO 1

Miller:

W-L-OTL 6-9-1
SV% .915
GAA 2.87
SO -

Why dont you watch Miller a few games and see for yourself.....

Those state say crap about how good a goalie is....

SV % and GA has alot more to do with the team around you than the goalie in the net. If your defense is giving up quality scoring opportunities which is beating your goalie while the other team is limiting teams to perimeter shooting then the latter goalie will have better stats.

ChubbChubby 02-22-2013 12:02 PM

Miller is a good goalie, but that doesn't change the fact that this is a terrible trade for the Sharks.

Niemi has been stellar and far from a problem. Our depth is thin so trading away a good bottom 6 and a 1st would hurt us both in the short and long term. On top of that, Sharks can't afford Miller's contract anyway.

There's no point in Sabres fans defending Miller. We know he's good, just not what we need.

hockeyball 02-22-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djp (Post 60248845)
Why dont you watch Miller a few games and see for yourself.....

Those state say crap about how good a goalie is....

SV % and GA has alot more to do with the team around you than the goalie in the net. If your defense is giving up quality scoring opportunities which is beating your goalie while the other team is limiting teams to perimeter shooting then the latter goalie will have better stats.

Point is how much better could he really be than an already stellar goalie? Niemi's numbers couldn't be much better, especially when you consider we just went through a 7 game losing streak.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chubbs (Post 60249141)
Miller is a good goalie, but that doesn't change the fact that this is a terrible trade for the Sharks.

Niemi has been stellar and far from a problem. Our depth is thin so trading away a good bottom 6 and a 1st would hurt us both in the short and long term. On top of that, Sharks can't afford Miller's contract anyway.

There's no point in Sabres fans defending Miller. We know he's good, just not what we need.

Exactly.

Djp 02-22-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 60249565)
Point is how much better could he really be than an already stellar goalie? Niemi's numbers couldn't be much better, especially when you consider we just went through a 7 game losing streak.

Exactly.

i said nothing about Miemi.....I didnt say anything about his play.I am not saying the trade value was worth it.

I am just explaining to the other poster implying that the stats of sv pct and GGA are poor stats to measure the goalie play.

A better statistic would be to put weights on goals allowed by a goalie....

You fact in was it a mistake on the goalie he should have saved? Was it goal that was just a beautiful play and the goalie had no chance, should the goalie be rewarded for robbing goals? If its a power play or 2 man power play goal has less weight than a 5 on 5 goal. goals off of deflections are effectivly equivalent of unearned runs.

TheJuxtaposer 02-22-2013 12:22 PM

I'm a huge Miller fan, but I don't want to give up Wingels and a first to upgrade Niemi. Niemi is perpetually underrated. He's become a whole different goaltender since he was in Chicago. He's even taken a step up this year, visibly better in areas where he was weak before. He was dealing with a knee injury last season which prevented him from being great, but he's healthy and playing stellar against all teams that aren't Chicago right now.

hockeyball 02-22-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djp (Post 60249941)
i said nothing about Miemi.....I didnt say anything about his play.I am not saying the trade value was worth it.

I am just explaining to the other poster implying that the stats of sv pct and GGA are poor stats to measure the goalie play.

A better statistic would be to put weights on goals allowed by a goalie....

You fact in was it a mistake on the goalie he should have saved? Was it goal that was just a beautiful play and the goalie had no chance, should the goalie be rewarded for robbing goals? If its a power play or 2 man power play goal has less weight than a 5 on 5 goal. goals off of deflections are effectivly equivalent of unearned runs.

No one disagrees with you. Everyone here is saying Miller is a great goalie and they like him. We are just saying we don't have a hole there to fill. I wouldn't trade Niemi for Miller straight up right now because of the cap hit, we simply cannot afford him.