HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Sciences (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=245)
-   -   White House to commit $100 million to open access (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1357743)

Teemu 02-22-2013 05:23 PM

White House to commit $100 million to open access

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2...ic-157658.html

Quote:

The White House on Friday ordered federal agencies to come up with plans to maximize free, public access to the results of federally funded scientific research.

In response to a petition on the White House web site, the director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy said he issued the order Friday.

"[T]he Obama Administration is committed to ensuring that the results of federally-funded scientific research are made available to and useful for the public, industry, and the scientific community," wrote John Holdren, who is also assistant to the president for science and technology. "Moreover, this research was funded by taxpayer dollars. Americans should have easy access to the results of research they help support."

CanadianHockey 02-22-2013 07:31 PM

This is actually really awesome and something I've been mulling over in my head for a while (making academic research more accessible).

Unaffiliated 02-22-2013 07:45 PM

Sounds a little... hand-wavy.

I mean, wouldn't pretty much all significant results get written up in a paper anyway?

Fish on The Sand 02-22-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unaffiliated (Post 60273541)
Sounds a little... hand-wavy.

I mean, wouldn't pretty much all significant results get written up in a paper anyway?

A scientific paper that requires a paid subscription yes.

Unaffiliated 02-22-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand (Post 60279525)
A scientific paper that requires a paid subscription yes.

right. derp
:)

IWD 02-22-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teemu (Post 60266523)

Hahaha, excellent. It's a jab to the Harper government as well, as there have been more recent complaints of suppressing climate science in Canada. Now there will be pressure to do something similar by the environmentalists on this side of the border. The CPC does not like this at all, but they know they can't show any sort of distaste, so they'll try to stonewall.

PSUCapsFan 02-23-2013 02:07 AM

I was under the impression that if your research is being funded by federal grants you must report all results to the funding agency. It's the job of the agencies (DEA, NSF,NIH) to put the results out.

IWD 02-23-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUCapsFan (Post 60290213)
I was under the impression that if your research is being funded by federal grants you must report all results to the funding agency. It's the job of the agencies (DEA, NSF,NIH) to put the results out.

There was an article about this on CBC last week. Or maybe the Globe & Mail. I can't remember which. I'm not sure what the difference is between countries, but an American climate scientist was complaining that the Canadian government was muzzling him - an issue that has been brought up by several international organizations in the last year or two. He compared excerpts from the grant contracts offered by the previous Liberal government and the current Conservative government. The old contracts stated that any findings were the property of all parties, and could be disseminated at will. The new contracts state that property remains the same, but both parties have to get the permission of the other party in order to disseminate. As the Harper government has no intention of releasing said information in most cases, it becomes a a de facto muzzling.

Richer's Ghost 02-25-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUCapsFan (Post 60290213)

I can confirm that all research does require a close-out and final report to the funding agency on the results including any discoveries made (possible intellectual property).

DD-882

As for publishing the results, that's another issue.