HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   No commercials on NHL GCL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1358315)

Hockey Team 02-23-2013 01:26 PM

No commercials on NHL GCL
 
I'm just curious as to why there's no commercials on NHL GCL. You would think that they'd jump on any opportunity to make $, and this is basically just dead space since it just shows nothing.

sh724 02-23-2013 01:51 PM

Because they are showing a local/regional networks broadcast of the game. Those companies advertising do not have contracts with the NHL for advertisement and people watching on GCL are not counted in ratings. If you live in Vacouver do you really care how much you can get off a new convertible in Tamp bay? And if you live in Arizona do you care how much you can get a snow blower for in Minnesota?

The NHL would not make any money off of showing the commercials and it takes less bandwidth to show an NHL ad picture than to broadcast commercials.

Hockey Team 02-23-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sh724 (Post 60309795)
Because they are showing a local/regional networks broadcast of the game. Those companies advertising do not have contracts with the NHL for advertisement and people watching on GCL are not counted in ratings. If you live in Vacouver do you really care how much you can get off a new convertible in Tamp bay? And if you live in Arizona do you care how much you can get a snow blower for in Minnesota?

The NHL would not make any money off of showing the commercials and it takes less bandwidth to show an NHL ad picture than to broadcast commercials.

I understand that, but I'm not saying they'd have to play the network's commercials. Youtube plays commercials, and so do a lot of other online video sites.

Not saying I want commercials on GCL, just wondering why they don't do it since they could make money off of it.

epo 02-23-2013 01:59 PM

I've seen commercials while watching some games.

Jussi 02-23-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epo (Post 60310317)
I've seen commercials while watching some games.

Me too. It seems they're cut from games broadcast on the NHL Network and/or CBC.

Hockey Team 02-23-2013 02:05 PM

I'm watching the philly game right now. No commercials, and it's not on VS, NHLN, or CBC

IU Hawks fan 02-23-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey Team (Post 60310109)
I understand that, but I'm not saying they'd have to play the network's commercials. Youtube plays commercials, and so do a lot of other online video sites.

Not saying I want commercials on GCL, just wondering why they don't do it since they could make money off of it.

It's a good question. Probably isn't that much of a market to advertise to only the people buying the package. Not even MLB.TV has them, outside of ads for like mlb.com Shop, and way more people have subscriptions to that.

Big McLargehuge 02-23-2013 02:39 PM

Some games do it, some games don't.

It's weird to actually prefer commercials, but I hate the silence. Still better than the stupid music they were using for a while.


On the flip side, MLB.tv is extremely annoying because it's just the same two commercials and then silence every commercial break.

Hockey Team 02-23-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge (Post 60313159)
Some games do it, some games don't.

It's weird to actually prefer commercials, but I hate the silence. Still better than the stupid music they were using for a while.


On the flip side, MLB.tv is extremely annoying because it's just the same two commercials and then silence every commercial break.

Could it be possible that some of the regional networks make GCL play commercials as part of the agreement for the feed? Or maybe the feed is done in a way where GCL's software can't accurately distinguish when it cuts to commercial, so instead of having to deal with any possible issues they just stream the whole thing. (Based on how half assed GCL and the iphone app are, this wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was just laziness that causes this)

Mr. Fancy Pants 02-24-2013 05:17 AM

I could care less about commercials but why don't they show the pre game, intermission and post game from CBC and TSN?

Ladra 02-24-2013 09:27 AM

I miss the commercials on GCL. I hate commercial, but complete silence is way worse.

I understand that it may take some bandwidth. But couldn't they "track ip" and show commercials from the area of the "ip" and atleast make something on it... more than showing a picture and a sleazy tune.

snovalleyhockeyfan 02-24-2013 09:35 AM

As some of you have noted - some feeds will have them, others won't. From my experience this season (and IIRC, this was probably true last year as well), any feed you get from Sportsnet in Canada has ads/intermission coverage, while all the TSN and CBC games don't. In the U.S., the CSN Philly feed did not carry commercials/intermission yesterday, but when I saw CSN Chicago's feed the other night for the Blackhawks-Vancouver game, they were carrying all that. The Fox Sports feeds I think also are commercials/intermission as well.

The whole issue with lack of commercials/intermissions on GCL, especially for the CBC/TSN games, is probably the only negative that I have with the service, otherwise the service is for the most part excellent with me.

Inkling 02-24-2013 10:29 AM

I'd prefer that they kept the commercials over nothing. It can be interesting to see the local ads in various cities...better than staring at a screen saver. I'd also like to see local pre and post-game shows, but I'm aware they don't pay for the rights to those.

powerstuck 02-24-2013 01:46 PM

Could it be that the ''bandwith'' comes into equation ? I mean it does costs them something to publish the feed over the net, so maybe the cost vs the potential revenue isn't enough ?

I know that Bruins live radio feed also has some silences during commercial breaks.

Chileiceman 02-25-2013 12:14 AM

It's the minority of games that don't carry commercials. Most of them do. It depends on what channel is showing the game.

Mr. Fancy Pants 02-25-2013 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerstuck (Post 60379007)
Could it be that the ''bandwith'' comes into equation ? I mean it does costs them something to publish the feed over the net, so maybe the cost vs the potential revenue isn't enough ?

No, because I've checked the bandwidth being used when watching a game and it's the same during the screensaver for the commercials/intermission as it is for the actual game.

Hockey Team 02-25-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerstuck (Post 60379007)
Could it be that the ''bandwith'' comes into equation ? I mean it does costs them something to publish the feed over the net, so maybe the cost vs the potential revenue isn't enough ?

I know that Bruins live radio feed also has some silences during commercial breaks.

There's no way bandwidth costs factor into the equation here. Any potential revenue, even if they got 1% of normal advertising rates, would far exceed the minimal bandwidth expenses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Fancy Pants (Post 60430857)
No, because I've checked the bandwidth being used when watching a game and it's the same during the screensaver for the commercials/intermission as it is for the actual game.

Heh, this doesn't surprise me that much though, since it is just a video player on the page, and in order for a video player to show something it takes the same amount of bandwidth regardless of what's on the screen. The bandwidth savings would be minimal anyway. Keep in mind these companies pay for a line of a certain speed, regardless of how much actual traffic there is per month.

bosshogg18 02-25-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sh724 (Post 60309795)
Because they are showing a local/regional networks broadcast of the game. Those companies advertising do not have contracts with the NHL for advertisement and people watching on GCL are not counted in ratings. If you live in Vacouver do you really care how much you can get off a new convertible in Tamp bay? And if you live in Arizona do you care how much you can get a snow blower for in Minnesota?

The NHL would not make any money off of showing the commercials and it takes less bandwidth to show an NHL ad picture than to broadcast commercials.

I care. I love seeing different commercials, especially odd ball Canadian ones like poutine at Wendy's or roll up the rim to win at Tim Horton's.

Clamshells 02-25-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bosshogg18 (Post 60464751)
I care. I love seeing different commercials, especially odd ball Canadian ones like poutine at Wendy's or roll up the rim to win at Tim Horton's.

me too. i had no idea there were so many "hey look we're the armed forces" or "get your armed forces insurance!!" ads in america until i started watching gamecenter.

jntadt22 02-25-2013 09:47 PM

What I've noticed and I could be wrong. If I watch GCL on my Apple TV, I get commercials at the breaks and the intermission stuff, which I REALLY like. When I'm not at home, and I watch it on my iPad, I don't get any of the dead space stuff. I'm not sure if I'm just catching the 'sometimes' that other people have, and it's just the few times that I'm at home and watch it then or what. I tend to like the commercials as well, but just so I can see how stupid they are!!

Djp 02-25-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sh724 (Post 60309795)
Because they are showing a local/regional networks broadcast of the game. Those companies advertising do not have contracts with the NHL for advertisement and people watching on GCL are not counted in ratings. If you live in Vacouver do you really care how much you can get off a new convertible in Tamp bay? And if you live in Arizona do you care how much you can get a snow blower for in Minnesota?

The NHL would not make any money off of showing the commercials and it takes less bandwidth to show an NHL ad picture than to broadcast commercials.

I get Center Ice and have noticed this this year. I have had it since after the lost season at least.

I have always seen commercials.

Now I dont see the local commercials.

Mr. Fancy Pants 02-26-2013 05:46 AM

Watching the Tor-Phi game on the TSN feed tonight on GCL, there was no commercials or intermission for the first part but then suddenly half-way through the 2nd intermission the intermission and commercials started being shown. They even showed Sports Centre for a bit after the game. Maybe someone flipped the wrong switch? I don't get why they don't do it all the time.

Hennessy 02-26-2013 06:03 AM

Never realized so many people prefer commercials over silence. That's disturbing.

Anything to avoid American commercials. They give me severe culture shock. And I'm an American.

Daltner 02-26-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hennessy (Post 60496195)
Never realized so many people prefer commercials over silence. That's disturbing.

It's not about the commercials but the intermission sequences from CBC and TSN. At least for me. Takes so much away from the atmosphere on a Saturday night.

IME 02-26-2013 06:19 PM

There has to be some sort of contractual limitation with either the regional broadcasters or their advertisers. Why else would the league not jump at the opportunity to broadcast more ads from league-wide sponsors (Coors, Geico, etc)

The only upside I see from not running league-wide ads is the eventual repetitiveness wearing on people. I watched a few games on NBA's package, and seeing the same stupid NBA.com christmas jersey promo wore thin pretty quick.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.