HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   What is the best grip wax for puck control? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1358595)

tsnTpoint 02-23-2013 07:06 PM

What is the best grip wax for puck control?

A I currently use sex wax and have very little complaint about it. It's an awesome product.

But I once used a teammates was where it left your blade much more sticky. I can't remember the name but it was just what I'm looking for. It was the type where you could lay your stick flat on the puck (crosby's famous goal) and pick it up with no skill. The puck would literally stick to your stick picking it up the ice. It was amazing wax for optimum puck control.

Anyways if anyone knows of any very grippy stick waxes please let me know. Most pro shops around only offer sex wax and another product that comes in a black "armpit" type dispenser.

Jarick 02-23-2013 07:13 PM

Blade butter I think is super sticky, really disgusting stuff. Looks/smells like deodorant. You can usually find it at large sports stores.

I like sex wax the most although if I use wax it's usually paraffin. That's a little more slippery, more of a waterproof than anything.

I just like the grit of cloth tape though.

Kulluminati 02-24-2013 08:50 PM

sex wax is pretty great.

American in Paris 02-25-2013 02:58 AM

I melt candle wax all over the blade. It cools into hard little droplets. Then I pass the blade over my gas stove. As the wax remelts it is absorbed into the tape by osmosis. I let the blade cool without touching it. The end result is perfectly waterproof tape with a scratchy texture.

I think it gives a nice feel. It also makes the tape last 3 times longer than normal.

The Tikkanen 02-25-2013 09:19 AM

I use blade butter, never really noticed the smell but I guess it does smell like deodorant when you apply it. I use it mainly to keep water and snow from accumulating. I also spray the tape with scotch guard spray, let that dry then apply the blade butter. Tape seems to last longer.

Jarick 02-25-2013 10:25 AM

If I didn't use white tape and love the clean look of fresh tape every game I'd try that 3M stuff.

The Tikkanen 02-25-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 60437603)
If I didn't use white tape and love the clean look of fresh tape every game I'd try that 3M stuff.

I don't re-tape every game, I've become miserly. When it starts to fray along the bottom or I have a big slash gash on the face I'll re tape.

macgyverthatshiz 03-07-2013 08:55 PM

Depending on how long you have been playing, the best thing to do is work on your hands. All the wax in the world is not going to help concrete hands.

sunsoutgunsout 03-07-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tikkanen (Post 60443469)
I don't re-tape every game, I've become miserly. When it starts to fray along the bottom or I have a big slash gash on the face I'll re tape.

I don't understand your type. I retape before every game or practice and, every intermission.

The Tikkanen 03-08-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keslersgirl (Post 61216871)
I don't understand your type. I retape before every game or practice and, every intermission.

Do you have dry gloves for every shift as well?

Jarick 03-08-2013 10:17 AM

Re-taping is therapeutic and beautiful. A clean slate. Focuses me on the upcoming game.

MeltingPlastic 03-08-2013 11:31 AM

IDK if its what you used but i prefer Sticky Bumps cold water wax, its got a nice smell to it and is real sticky... give it a shot...

http://www.amazon.com/Sticky-Bumps-C.../dp/B000SII2FE

jsykes 03-08-2013 11:41 AM

I dont re-tape till its falling off. Many times I have no tape left along the bottom of my blade, but as long as the rest is staying in place, which it does with a good wax, then I leave it.

sunsoutgunsout 03-08-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tikkanen (Post 61238291)
Do you have dry gloves for every shift as well?

If I had the option, I'd be all over it.