HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ryan Smyth to ottawa proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=135870)

PapaBear* 03-24-2005 12:25 AM

Ryan Smyth to ottawa proposal

TO OTTAWA: SMYTH + 5TH
TO EDMONTON: VERMETTE + WHITE + 3RD.

Edm needs Centres, White and/or Vermette can fill that role. Smyth Gives the sens what they need, a gritty LW who can play in a top 6 role when asked upon, young and cheap.

Wisent 03-24-2005 12:27 AM

Ottawa needs centers too.

Darth Milbury 03-24-2005 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaBear
TO OTTAWA: SMYTH + 5TH
TO EDMONTON: VERMETTE + WHITE + 3RD.

Edm needs Centres, White and/or Vermette can fill that role. Smyth Gives the sens what they need, a gritty LW who can play in a top 6 role when asked upon, young and cheap.

I sometimes think that EDM fans here overrate Smyth, but I think you are doing the exact opposite here.

This is a player that EVERY team in the NHL would love to have. No way you get him for a prospect and a pick.

RoyIsALegend* 03-24-2005 01:07 AM

I can't see Edmonton making this deal.

fcbarcelona 03-24-2005 01:26 AM

ottawa's first priority should be goaltending. moreover, power forwards aren't a necessity in winning the stanley cup. having a great goalie is far more essential. the avs proved it in 2001...

Ismellofhockey 03-24-2005 01:33 AM

Man I'm sick of Ottawa proposals, I think we've covered every inch of territory possible.

Vyse64 03-24-2005 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ismellofhockey
Man I'm sick of Ottawa proposals, I think we've covered every inch of territory possible.

i'm really sick of EDM/OTT proposals

Alfie#11 03-24-2005 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ismellofhockey

Ditto.

Puckclektr 03-24-2005 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
i'm really sick of EDM/OTT proposals

Then don't read them.....

oil slick 03-24-2005 01:10 PM

Quote:

Edm needs Centres, White and/or Vermette can fill that role.

That's a pretty common misconception. Edmonton has a tonne of centers, Horcoff, Stoll, Reasoner, York (in a pinch), Bishai, with Pouliot and Schremp in the pipe. What Edmonton needs is a number one center, which with all due respect to White and Vermette, would not be addressed by this proposal.

Edmonton really has enough good 3rd line/crappy 2nd line centers.

PapaBear* 03-24-2005 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil slick
That's a pretty common misconception. Edmonton has a tonne of centers, Horcoff, Stoll, Reasoner, York (in a pinch), Bishai, with Pouliot and Schremp in the pipe. What Edmonton needs is a number one center, which with all due respect to White and Vermette, would not be addressed by this proposal.

Edmonton really has enough good 3rd line/crappy 2nd line centers.

York could be #1 C, but whos the 2nd? Horcoff? LOL!!!

bert 03-24-2005 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisent
Ottawa needs centers too.

No we dont and this deal is done and done from a Sens POV.

I think Ottawa will have to add something else though.

Maybe White Vermett Schuber plus a 2nd for Smyth

Safir* 03-24-2005 01:35 PM

Finally, I see an Ottawa proposal on this board. :sarcasm:

Well it didn't take long to see someone use the name Havlat.

Bileur 03-24-2005 01:40 PM

Soooooo..... who wants to break PapaBear's keyboard for me?

PapaBear* 03-24-2005 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bert
No we dont and this deal is done and done from a Sens POV.

I think Ottawa will have to add something else though.

Maybe White Vermett Schuber plus a 2nd for Smyth

sMYTH makes what, 3.5? Sooner or later, The oil wont be able to afford his salary. It will either be him or Yorky traded to unload $, but I think it would be Smyth first as he would bring greater return.

Vermette and White would fit in nicely with the Oil. White could center the 2nd line, or even 1st and replace Comrie.

i wouldnt mind seeing York come over too.

TO EDMONTON: WHITE, VERMETTE, PHILLIPS, SCHUBER AND 1ST.
TO OTTAWA: SMYTH, YORK AND SMITH.

Smyth=Phillips and Ist
York=Vermette and Schuber
Smith=White

Sens add a whole lot more grit and versatility to their lineup. They lose Phillips, but I think hes over rated anyways. Time for Volchenkov to step up and fill his void.

Smyth-Spezza-Hossa
Smolinski-York-Alfredsson
Schaefer-Fisher-Havlat
Varada-?-Neil

Chara-Volchenkov (this is a future pairing)
Redden-Smith (Smith would fit nicely with wade)
Pothier-DeVries

Darth Milbury 03-24-2005 01:49 PM

Quote:

sMYTH makes what, 3.5? Sooner or later, The oil wont be able to afford his salary. It will either be him or Yorky traded to unload $, but I think it would be Smyth first as he would bring greater return.

Vermette and White would fit in nicely with the Oil. White could center the 2nd line, or even 1st and replace Comrie.

i wouldnt mind seeing York come over too.

TO EDMONTON: WHITE, VERMETTE, PHILLIPS, SCHUBER AND 1ST.
TO OTTAWA: SMYTH, YORK AND SMITH.

Smyth=Phillips and Ist
York=Vermette and Schuber
Smith=White

Sens add a whole lot more grit and versatility to their lineup. They lose Phillips, but I think hes over rated anyways. Time for Volchenkov to step up and fill his void.

Smyth-Spezza-Hossa
Smolinski-York-Alfredsson
Schaefer-Fisher-Havlat
Varada-?-Neil

Chara-Volchenkov (this is a future pairing)
Redden-Smith (Smith would fit nicely with wade)
Pothier-DeVries

These are ridiculous, one-sided deals. You basically decimate EDM tanking their best vets and then give them nothing back but picks, prospects, and a grand total of ONE useful vet.

And, yeah, top line guys like Smyth will get expensive. Hopefully, though, EDM will get some relief from the new CBA. But, even if that doesn't happen, Ottawa isn't exactly in a finacial position to absorb another team's expensive players. You're going to be lucky if you get to keep your current team together, because Chara et al. are going to want huge raises somewhere down the line.

PapaBear* 03-24-2005 01:53 PM

Good point Darth. I bet if Sens offered Havlat straight up for Smyth, Kevin Lowe would jump all over that deal like a hot pogo bologne schlong dong.

Havlat>Smyth, by a bit. But Havlat cheaper.

Matty 03-24-2005 01:55 PM

Quote:

This is getting silly. The Oil won't be able to afford 3.5 mil for their best player? Come on. And then to say they would trade him because he would bring a 'greater return' and then go on to suggest Vermette and White as that 'greater return'?

Vermette is a decent, repeat, decent prospect. Nothing more. He is not the kind of prospect that will be the centerpiece in a deal for an NHL star unless it is a huge salary dump (which Smyth is not). White has value to the Sens and maybe a non playoff team would have interest in adding him if they could get him for a 2nd rounder. Other than that, the Sens would do better keeping him. No team would give up their best player for him though. None.

I know Sens fans are tired of seeing Havlat in trade proposals, but other than Spezza, no other return would likely make sense from an Oil POV.

Bring Back Bucky 03-24-2005 01:56 PM

I call for a democratic vote to ban Ottawa/Edm trade proposals forever. ALl those in favor type AYE.

Darth Milbury 03-24-2005 01:57 PM

We've been all over this Havlat for Smyth stuff for months now, so I'm not going to revisit it. However, let me ask you this, on what basis do you conclude that Ottawa has a lot more $ to spend than EDM? If anything, I think that Ottawa is in a much worse position, because you have more high end player who will soon demand raises. Ottawa is not going to be in any position whatsoever to benifit from salary dumps by other teams.

The only reason EDM might do a deal like the above is because they want to get younger.

oil slick 03-24-2005 02:14 PM

Quote:

York could be #1 C, but whos the 2nd? Horcoff? LOL!!!

Why on earth would white be significantly better center than Horcoff?

You're probably out of touch with how well Horcoff played last year (and this year in SEL), but I certainly wouldn't think White is much of an improvement. Certainly not enough to justify giving up Smyth.

PapaBear* 03-24-2005 02:21 PM

Havlat is a better and younger player than Smyth. So...

SMYTH AND A PK FOR HAVLAT.

oil slick 03-24-2005 02:21 PM

Quote:

Havlat is a better and younger player than Smyth. So...

SMYTH AND A PK FOR HAVLAT.

That I would do.

Darth Milbury 03-24-2005 02:25 PM

Seems fair to me, too, although I like to think that Smyth will be an Oiler for some time to come.

PapaBear* 03-24-2005 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Seems fair to me, too, although I like to think that Smyth will be an Oiler for some time to come.

Hey Sens could ask for Isbister to be thrown in the deal, and he can be their poor mans bertuzzi LOL *jokes*