HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Do you think the Rangers are cursed? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1358969)

Mike Tyson* 02-24-2013 03:21 AM

Do you think the Rangers are cursed?
 
I don't know, I've seen a lot of great players come to the Rangers and it always seem like this is the place where great players come to die. For example, Lindros, Redden, Bure, Gaborik, Nash, Jagr, Fleury, etc. all had their productions decrease after they came to the Rangers. On paper this team always look like a contender, but why do they always struggle to make the playoff? Can somebody tell me if it's a string of bad luck or if the pressure of playing in a big market like NY is too much, because my brother is a big rangers fan and I just can't convince him to like the Penguins over the Rangers.

Hockey Team 02-24-2013 03:22 AM

Dolan pushed some crazy woman on the street 20 years ago and she cursed his sports teams ever since.

Rangerboy030 02-24-2013 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Tyson (Post 60363929)
I don't know, I've seen a lot of great players come to the Rangers and it always seem like this is the place where great players come to die. For example, Lindros, Redden, Bure, Gaborik, Nash, Jagr, Fleury, etc. all had their productions decrease after they came to the Rangers. On paper this team always look like a contender, but why do they always struggle to make the playoff? Can somebody tell me if it's a string of bad luck or if the pressure of playing in a big market like NY is too much, because my brother is a big rangers fan and I just can't convince him to like the Penguins over the Rangers.

No s**t.

Mike Tyson* 02-24-2013 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey Team (Post 60363939)
Dolan pushed some crazy woman on the street 20 years ago and she cursed his sports teams ever since.

Pathetic, a simple push should not equate to a curse of this magnitude.

Callagraves 02-24-2013 03:34 AM

No such thing.

Zil 02-24-2013 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Tyson (Post 60363929)
I don't know, I've seen a lot of great players come to the Rangers and it always seem like this is the place where great players come to die. For example, Lindros, Redden, Bure, Gaborik, Nash, Jagr, Fleury, etc. all had their productions decrease after they came to the Rangers. On paper this team always look like a contender, but why do they always struggle to make the playoff?

First, those bolded names do not fit in at all. Gaborik's had two 40 goal seasons for us. Nash has been excellent, he's just hurt right now. Jagr set the single season points record for a Ranger and then followed that up with a 96 point campaign.

Second, it's not a curse. Lindros' head had already taken way too many hits by the time we got him. Redden was already declining heavily. Bure's knees were shot. Fleury had substance abuse problems. None of these guys were young and in their primes when we added them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Tyson (Post 60363929)
Can somebody tell me if it's a string of bad luck or if the pressure of playing in a big market like NY is too much, because my brother is a big rangers fan and I just can't convince him to like the Penguins over the Rangers.

Market pressure!? The Rangers get barely any attention from the media here. They just never seem to have young superstar forwards because they're never bad enough to pick first overall (their last top five pick was in 1999). Unlike your franchise they've never intentionally put themselves in that position either (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...emieux-371910/), or had the lottery balls magically giftwrap one for them.

Rangerfan4life90 02-24-2013 03:58 AM

Jagr, Nash, Gabby?

Lol

Mike Tyson* 02-24-2013 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zil (Post 60364245)
First, those bolded names do not fit in at all. Gaborik's had two 40 goal seasons for us. Nash has been excellent, he's just hurt right now. Jagr set the single season points record for a Ranger and then followed that up with a 96 point campaign.

Second, it's not a curse. Lindros' head had already taken way too many hits by the time we got him. Redden was already declining heavily. Bure's knees were shot. Fleury had substance abuse problems. None of these guys were young and in their primes when we added them.


Market pressure!? The Rangers get barely any attention from the media here. They just never seem to have young superstar forwards because they're never bad enough to pick first overall (their last top five pick was in 1999). Unlike your franchise they've never intentionally put themselves in that position either (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...emieux-371910/), or had the lottery balls magically giftwrap one for them.

Okay then, scratched the players you bolded off of my list, because after doing some research you did make a little bit of sense. I may have got just a little bit carried away with my list, but still, even after you take of gaborik, jagr, and Nash, the list is still long and relevant. And my question remains the same.

JeffMangum 02-24-2013 04:21 AM

I don't see this discussion going anywhere, and the OP post is pretty sketchy.

Closed.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.