HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   News Article: Erik Cole on the trading block? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1359131)

SergeConstantin74 02-24-2013 11:37 AM

Erik Cole on the trading block?
 
http://tvasports.ca/hockey/canadiens...arche-24022013

Quote:

Cole on the market?

24 February 2013 at 12:15 | TVA Sports

Marc Bergevin might not have finished making changes to his lineup.

According to Bruce Garrioch of QMI Agency, the name of Erik Cole has been but on the trading market.

Bergevin would be willing to trade the veteran if he finds a buyer, should obviously a team shows interest.

With the disappointing start to the season (six points in 18 games) of the American, and considering his salary of $4.5 million per season, it could be a difficult task.

PricePkPatch 02-24-2013 11:38 AM

Doesn't he has a NTC?

Analyzer 02-24-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PricePkPatch (Post 60372915)
Doesn't he has a NTC?

Yes.

Not sure why he'd be on the block, unless they could get someone better, otherwise leave it alone.

Coldplay 02-24-2013 11:39 AM

I hear Garrioch is as reliable as Eklund.

overlords 02-24-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PricePkPatch (Post 60372915)
Doesn't he has a NTC?

I believe so. But it's Garrioch.

E = CH˛ 02-24-2013 11:40 AM

Bruce Garrioch hehe.. what a fraud

SergeConstantin74 02-24-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PricePkPatch (Post 60372915)
Doesn't he has a NTC?

Didn't he want to go back to the U.S. so his daughter could go to school? Without the U.S. schools, she might become a retard like all of us poor Canadians.

rockjngo 02-24-2013 11:46 AM

I stop taking this serious when you brought up Bruce Garrioch. LOL
I live in Ottawa and saw him once, he's fat, ugly and comes up with 20 trade rumors a day in the Ottawa Sun, none of which has ever come true. :shakehead


I think Eklund has hit 1 or 2 trade rumors for every 1000, Bruce Garrioch on the other hand has 0.

Kjell Dahlin 02-24-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 (Post 60372851)

“Cole + Weber + a pick” is our new “Halak + Ryder + a pick”!

Cole out would allow Therrien to keep using Prust on the top 3 lines (spreading the toughness) but, depending on the return, it would also hurt us from a depth *1 perspective. If they ship him out, I hope for a “hockey trade” as in “something more than a salary dump and/or only a pick in return”.

*1 One of the main reasons behind our success is the internal and healthy competition Therrien was able to create. Without depth, it would disappear or, at best, it would become harder to maintain.

Madam Kadri 02-24-2013 11:47 AM

Would be nice to trade him to Columbus with Kaberle so we could get Wizniewski back. lol

Guilliam 02-24-2013 11:48 AM

Oh god, don't read the comments at the bottom of the page :facepalm:

Back on topic, with his salary and 2 years left on his deal, we wouldn't get anthing significant for Cole and we don't have anyone to replace him right now if we trade him for prospects and picks. Plus I don't think we should be sellers right now.

So as long as we are in a playoff position, keep him and reevaluate this summer if he doesn't retire.

Marc the Habs Fan 02-24-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 (Post 60373207)
Didn't he want to go back to the U.S. so his daughter could go to school? Without the U.S. schools, she might become a retard like all of us poor Canadians.

Not really that. In Quebec, high school starts as soon as age 12. His daughter would be in high school next year at that age, while in the USA high school starts 2-3 years later and he said he was worried she won't get credit for it after they return to the USA in a few years.

Anyway, there's no way Cole accepts a trade during the season with how much of a family man he is. This is a non-story.

Maliki2 02-24-2013 11:50 AM

Can people stop making up stories when this team is winning? Always some form of drama....

SergeConstantin74 02-24-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan (Post 60373487)
Not really that. In Quebec, high school starts as soon as age 12. His daughter would be in high school next year at that age, while in the USA high school starts 2-3 years later and he said he was worried she won't get credit for it after they return to the USA in a few years.

Anyway, there's no way Cole accepts a trade during the season with how much of a family man he is. This is a non-story.

It was sarcams, obviously.

PricePkPatch 02-24-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin (Post 60373425)
“Cole + Weber + a pick” is our new “Halak + Ryder + a pick”!

Cole out would allow Therrien to keep using Prust on the top 3 lines (spreading the toughness) but, depending on the return, it would also hurt us from a depth *1 perspective. If they ship him out, I hope for a “hockey trade” as in “something more than a salary dump and/or only a pick in return”.

*1 One of the main reasons behind our success is the internal and healthy competition Therrien was able to create. Without depth, it would disappear or, at best, it would become harder to maintain.

Okay. Let's wait a minute. Seriously, what could we get for Cole+ that would make us a better team? What do we miss? Maybe a replacement for Gionta on the Pleky line?

Marc the Habs Fan 02-24-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 (Post 60373621)
It was sarcams, obviously.

I felt the need to bring up the facts before someone took it seriously. :laugh:

Miller Time 02-24-2013 11:55 AM

not surprising...

cole's lockout commentary and his play to start the season dont' give the greatest confidence that he's as committed as he needs to be to deliver on the 2 years remaining on his big contract.

Not sure that we'll find a taker, though the bigger issue might end up being the NTC.

I could see a deal with SJ working out for both teams...

To SJ
Cole
Kaberle

To Mtl
Havlat
Murray

cole/havlat are a wash, with Havlat being 500K more/season... I think he'd do very well on Plekanec's wing, finally giving him a player with the vision/style to complement him skill-wise.

Murray would be 7th dman for us, but a nice insurance policy if injuries pop up (and perhaps making it easier for MT to give Markov the occasional game off to help rest his knee?)

SJ would probably scoff at the idea of taking back two contracts that will be on the books next year, so maybe we add a late pick or a depth prospect?

Guilliam 02-24-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PricePkPatch (Post 60373623)
Okay. Let's wait a minute. Seriously, what could we get for Cole+ that would make us a better team? What do we miss? Maybe a replacement for Gionta on the Pleky line?

We would need a big two-way RW to play on the third line with Eller and Chucky... :sarcasm:

SergeConstantin74 02-24-2013 11:56 AM

I'd trade him only if we weren't making the playoffs for a pick. Now I don't see what we could get in return that could help this season.

poetryinmotion 02-24-2013 11:58 AM

Yes please, trade him while he still has value.

ChuckyToGally 02-24-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miller Time (Post 60373823)
not surprising...

cole's lockout commentary and his play to start the season dont' give the greatest confidence that he's as committed as he needs to be to deliver on the 2 years remaining on his big contract.

Not sure that we'll find a taker, though the bigger issue might end up being the NTC.

I could see a deal with SJ working out for both teams...

To SJ
Cole
Kaberle

To Mtl
Havlat
Murray

cole/havlat are a wash, with Havlat being 500K more/season... I think he'd do very well on Plekanec's wing, finally giving him a player with the vision/style to complement him skill-wise.

Murray would be 7th dman for us, but a nice insurance policy if injuries pop up (and perhaps making it easier for MT to give Markov the occasional game off to help rest his knee?)

SJ would probably scoff at the idea of taking back two contracts that will be on the books next year, so maybe we add a late pick or a depth prospect?

I would be all for it but I doubt that SJ would bite.

Kjell Dahlin 02-24-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PricePkPatch (Post 60373623)
Okay. Let's wait a minute. Seriously, what could we get for Cole+ that would make us a better team? What do we miss? Maybe a replacement for Gionta on the Pleky line?

I am willing to wait for Tinordi. Diaz, Emelin and Bouillon are doing a fine job in the current top 6.

Price is Price.

I really like (so does Therrien apparently) Prust on the top 3 lines; it does spread the toughness.

So a hockey trade, right now, would imply a forward in return but we have no room (assuming Eller keeps it up and Prust on 3rd) for another top 3 line player... maybe adding a guy like Lapierre (not necessarily him) on 4th?

4. Moen – Lapierre – White!

That said... unless Cole really wants out (he did hint at it during the lock out), his NTC is a major factor.

Estimated_Prophet 02-24-2013 12:01 PM

Garrioch is much like Al Strachan where he works in a large hockey market but is basically a dork and a journalist before he is a sports person. He has absolutely no connections and the players can't stand him. Guys like this can't develop connections within the tight knit sporting circles because they are simply too nerdy and wimpy.

I know what I am posting sounds like an adolescent rant but it is essentially the truth. Garrioch and his ilk are left to invent scenarios based on their personal observations. When a player is struggling they will always suggest that there is a potential trade in the works without an ounce of proof to support their theory.

Bloumeister 02-24-2013 12:04 PM

This.

Stopped reading at Garrioch :shakehead

(if anything, I'm the one acting like a teenager)

Garrioch + TVA Sports = :help:

shutehinside 02-24-2013 12:07 PM

I made mention of this in the Cole thread.

Garrioche has all the credibility of the guy at your work who cranks out what if trade scenarios except his writes for a paper.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.