HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Value of: Matt "the Agile Beast" Hunwick (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1359393)

Elever 02-24-2013 06:36 PM

Value of: Matt "the Agile Beast" Hunwick

Matt Hunwick's playing lights out this year and he's an FA at the end of next one. Smart move by mgmt to get him sign him up for 2 years so that if he did play well which he has, we could get better value than if he was a pending UFA.

Now before seeing what we might get for him on the main board, I wanna know what you guys expect? A good D prospect like Trouba? A 2nd line winger who can play on the 1st? A #10-15 pick? We could re-sign him to an extension of course but it's gonna be $4 M+ and I just don't think we can afford that with a few pending contracts in 2014.

He only has 1 point during this season so far but the guy's playing 18-24 mins and is a +2 on this team. His mobility is not reflected on the stat sheet but on a better team with competent forwards, it would translate to more assists.

We'd also be losing a high IQ player as reflected by this thoughtful picture but have to get something back so I'm in favour of moving him before the draft:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2...3v24o1_500.jpg

Rrabb1t 02-24-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kloparren (Post 60396735)
Matt Hunwick's playing lights out this year and he's an FA at the end of next one. Smart move by mgmt to get him sign him up for 2 years so that if he did play well which he has, we could get better value than if he was a pending UFA.

Now before seeing what we might get for him on the main board, I wanna know what you guys expect? A good D prospect like Trouba? A 2nd line winger who can play on the 1st? A #10-15 pick? We could re-sign him to an extension of course but it's gonna be $4 M+ and I just don't think we can afford that with a few pending contracts in 2014.

He only has 1 point during this season so far but the guy's playing 18-24 mins and is a +2 on this team. His mobility is not reflected on the stat sheet but on a better team with competent forwards, it would translate to more assists.

We'd also be losing a high IQ player as reflected by this thoughtful picture but have to get something back so I'm in favour of moving him before the draft:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2...3v24o1_500.jpg

I like the thought process behind this. Hunwick certainly holds a lot of value now and I'd hate to see him play for one of our Western rivals. Proper puck possession teams like Detroit would certainly be interested in a smart player like Hunwick if he was available and The Agile Beast could really hurt us a lot like many ex-Avs do. Safest thing to do would be to ship him to East where interest in Hunwick is guaranteed to be high and Avs can just hold out until the very best offer.

Something like Hunwick + Johnny Malkin + 6th for you know...Evgeni Malkin would do it. We'd have to be carefull with (Evgeni) Malkin's recent head injury though. Would suck to lose important pieces like Hunwick for an injury prone player. I think this definetly has General boards trade proposal potential.

Elever 02-24-2013 06:54 PM

Malkin? No you'd dreaming. I don't even think we can get Voracek. You have to be realistic here, maybe a high end prospect like Grigorenko on a team like Buffalo which could use his speed. The problem is that if we trade him without him being locked up long-term then we have no chance of landing a Voracek. Based on past trades like Kaberle, we can certainly get a good prospect or 1st.

And let's be honest, Matt Hunwick's better than Kaberle.

bohlmeister 02-24-2013 07:00 PM

We'd be losing more than a player. We would be losing a pillar on our defense. An important leader. A large piece of our locker room. And most importantly, Joe Sacco would be losing a friend.

I am haunted at the thought of 22 in another teams uniform.

Rrabb1t 02-24-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kloparren (Post 60398561)
Malkin? No you'd dreaming. I don't even think we can get Voracek. You have to be realistic here, maybe a high end prospect like Grigorenko on a team like Buffalo which could use his speed. The problem is that if we trade him without him being locked up long-term then we have no chance of landing a Voracek. Based on past trades like Kaberle, we can certainly get a good prospect or 1st.

And let's be honest, Matt Hunwick's better than Kaberle.

You're right. Maybe Evgeni Malkin is a step too far, but I don't think you can underrate Johnny Malkin who has turned out to be A DANGLE ANIMAL and is on pace for career high on goals, assists, faceoff wins, takeaways, hits, powerplaypoints, dangles, takeaway pizza orders, no look high five's with Matt Hunwick and he's well on his way to liberating the Irish from British tyranny aswell according to wikipedia. Now if he could just learn the BANG BANG victory dance a bit better he'd be almost perfect center for us.

I'm sure at least someone like Eric Staal would be available for that package.

Freudian 02-24-2013 07:05 PM

You don't trade character.

bohlmeister 02-24-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rrabb1t (Post 60399279)
You're right. Maybe Evgeni Malkin is a step too far, but I don't think you can underrate Johnny Malkin who has turned out to be A DANGLE ANIMAL and is on pace for career high on goals, assists, faceoff wins, takeaways, hits, powerplaypoints, dangles, takeaway pizza orders, no look high five's with Matt Hunwick and he's well on his way to liberating the Irish from British tyranny aswell according to wikipedia.

I'm sure at least someone like Eric Staal would be available for that package.

Are you insane? I wouldn't take that contract for free. I certainly wouldn't trade our top defenseman for it.

BrickAHL 02-24-2013 07:06 PM

I :heart: Hunny.

Joe Sakic 02-24-2013 07:09 PM

Would give the other team a 7th just to take him.

bohlmeister 02-24-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvsFan20 (Post 60399897)
Would give the other team a 7th just to take him.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma...eykbo1_500.gif

cgf 02-24-2013 07:31 PM

HunnyBunny is integral to the team's plans this year. Trading him is not an option.

the_fan 02-24-2013 07:35 PM

Hunwick for Stamkos

Edit: Any team can use a d-man who skates fast and does nothing else.

Hans Landaskog 02-24-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgf (Post 60402357)
HunnyBunny is integral to the team's plans this year. Trading him is not an option.

Hunwick is a key part of the tank.

Lier X Agerate 02-24-2013 08:01 PM

How could you even suggest trading such an integral component to this team? He makes Matt Duchene 1x better than he already is by drawing top defenders and his speed opens up so much ice!

AvalancheFan19 02-24-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bohlmeister (Post 60399053)
We'd be losing more than a player. We would be losing a pillar on our defense. An important leader. A large piece of our locker room. And most importantly, Joe Sacco would be losing a friend.

I am haunted at the thought of 22 in another teams uniform.

:laugh: You win.

cgf 02-24-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans Landaskog (Post 60403671)
Hunwick is a key part of the tank.

Like Elliot before them, Hunny and O'Byrne are our best hopes of tanking for a great pick.

The Shermanator 02-24-2013 08:11 PM

Hunwick is ****ing magic on the ice.

Freudian 02-24-2013 08:12 PM

Status update: untouchable.

Rrabb1t 02-24-2013 08:14 PM

Sherman better hang up if Shero calls 'cause Hunwick is going beast mode and Avs are no longer offering the package for Malkin.

Hans Landaskog 02-24-2013 08:19 PM

Penguins are going to have to add to get Hunwick now.

#stuffnobodysays

Cullen Bohannon 02-24-2013 08:54 PM

If we didn't have Hunwick, who else would be playing 22+ minutes a night? That bust EJ? He's terrible and now that he's finally sidelined, we get to see Hunwick shine and be a true leader on the back end.

CB Joe 02-24-2013 08:59 PM

Poor fella gets no respect.

Bonzai12 02-24-2013 10:05 PM

Christian Litscher 02-24-2013 11:19 PM

1st+B prospect

Freudian 02-24-2013 11:20 PM

Did you see that fierce cross check he landed on Perry after the goal in OT? No fear.