HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Yankee and Dodger stadiums (and maybe more) to host NHL outdoor games? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1359713)

LadyStanley 02-25-2013 12:59 AM

Yankee and Dodger stadiums (and maybe more) to host NHL outdoor games?

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...es-for-2013-14

Edmonton or Vancouver could be the host of the next Heritage Classic.

Is four outdoor games/season too much?

jumptheshark 02-25-2013 01:03 AM

outdoor game in LA in 90 degree weather?

Killion 02-25-2013 01:04 AM

It would just be WRONG to stage an OC in Vancouver LS. Forget it. Wont happen.

Gil Gunderson 02-25-2013 01:26 AM

The Ottawa stadium should be ready by 2015. I think it would be interesting to have a Sens-Canucks Heritage classic. It would be the 100th anniversary of the 1915 SC final between the original Sens and the Vancouver Millionaires.

Just throwing it out there.

LadyStanley 02-25-2013 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumptheshark (Post 60426997)

That's the high during the summer. But in winter, it can be downright "cold" for California. :sarcasm:

San Jose (or San Francisco) usually have highs in 50s or 60s in January/February. The worse concern is the real possibility of rain.

Don't travel much to SoCal in winter so haven't studied temps there, but I'd guess 60s-70s would be the highs in January/February.

ElKingsFan92 02-25-2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 60428111)
That's the high during the summer. But in winter, it can be downright "cold" for California. :sarcasm:

San Jose (or San Francisco) usually have highs in 50s or 60s in January/February. The worse concern is the real possibility of rain.

Don't travel much to SoCal in winter so haven't studied temps there, but I'd guess 60s-70s would be the highs in January/February.

That's right. The lows out here during the winters are around mid-40s to high 50s. We do get a few cold snaps every winter where temps drop 10 to 15 degrees below normal for some areas.

Ih8theislanders 02-25-2013 01:48 AM

4 games? Man, way to kill a somewhat decent novelty. Two should be the max, and if a Canadian team is in the WC why even bother having a 2nd outdoor game, let alone 4?

Killion 02-25-2013 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders (Post 60428337)
..let alone 4?

Because Johnny Colllins "can"? He's totally out of control living in NYC. Your in what, the Bronx? Why dont you stop him? The whole scene, out of control.

Fish on The Sand 02-25-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 60426855)
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...es-for-2013-14

Edmonton or Vancouver could be the host of the next Heritage Classic.

Is four outdoor games/season too much?

Vancouver could never host the Heritage Classic.

A) There's no venue
B) Weather is way too risky

epo 02-25-2013 02:28 AM

Outdoor games should be about the fans in the stadium. I don't know why someone would watch a game on TV just because it is outdoors.

Killion 02-25-2013 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand (Post 60428743)
Vancouver could never host the Heritage Classic.

A) There's no venue
B) Weather is way too risky

Ya? Well watch them insist. BC Place. Absolutely pathetic... now if you want "real", how about Lake Louise in February? Frozen drink. That would work. The Cathedrals of the Mountains surrounding the game. Calgary vs Vancouver.

cutchemist42 02-25-2013 09:36 AM

Minnesota/WInnipeg in either of the 3 new football stadiums. Winnipeg and Minny fans would travel well I think. (Well I think Winnipeg would, not too sure if Minnesotans would like coming up to Winnipeg?)

Burke the Legend 02-25-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epo (Post 60428937)
Outdoor games should be about the fans in the stadium. I don't know why someone would watch a game on TV just because it is outdoors.

What? it's 100% novelty gimmick for fans there. Watching a game in a football/baseball stadium is ridiculous you can't see anything. Although as long as huge crowds are willing to pack a football stadium at premium prices the NHL won't scoff at the gate windfall either. The event is designed for TV though so even if they didn't have a huge gate it would still be all about TV optics.

Hockey Team 02-25-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burke the Legend (Post 60435361)
What? it's 100% novelty gimmick for fans there. Watching a game in a football/baseball stadium is ridiculous you can't see anything. Although as long as huge crowds are willing to pack a football stadium at premium prices the NHL won't scoff at the gate windfall either. The event is designed for TV though so even if they didn't have a huge gate it would still be all about TV optics.

The funny thing is the game's TV quality is worse. The NHL arenas have cameras in optimized conditions already (lighting is also a factor), and they've had years to perfect where to put the cameras. This isn't the case for an outdoor game where everything's set up for 1 game.

And yeah, the appeal of the WC is that it's unique. If there's 4 of them now it's just a dumb gimmick.

silvercanuck 02-25-2013 12:54 PM

The minute you host more than one Winter Classic in a season is the moment when people start to realise that the actual on ice product at an outdoor game is garbage and that this is a novelty. And the idea that Vancouver should host a game at BC place is ridiculous. BC place is not even an outdoor arena.

Burke the Legend 02-25-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey Team (Post 60438125)
The funny thing is the game's TV quality is worse. The NHL arenas have cameras in optimized conditions already (lighting is also a factor), and they've had years to perfect where to put the cameras. This isn't the case for an outdoor game where everything's set up for 1 game.

And yeah, the appeal of the WC is that it's unique. If there's 4 of them now it's just a dumb gimmick.

That may be true, but blimp shots above fenway park >>>>> game cameras.

Actually it wouldnt be bad if the NHL abuses the stadium phase to death then they could move to more impressive venues like on someone mentioned lake louise or aspen.

Shrimper 02-25-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvercanuck (Post 60441817)
The minute you host more than one Winter Classic in a season is the moment when people start to realise that the actual on ice product at an outdoor game is garbage and that this is a novelty. And the idea that Vancouver should host a game at BC place is ridiculous. BC place is not even an outdoor arena.

BC Place would be amazing for atmosphere reasons though, keeps the chanting and fans in the arena whereas in outdoors arenas it can get lost.

Personally, I think One Heritage Classic (Canadian v Canadian or US - Hosted by Canadian team), a Winter classic (US v Canadian or US - Hosted by American team) and one other marquee game.

saskganesh 02-25-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killion (Post 60428687)
Because Johnny Colllins "can"? He's totally out of control living in NYC. Your in what, the Bronx? Why dont you stop him? The whole scene, out of control.

Hey, let's not be too harsh. These are popular events, and since the lockout had nothing to do with fans, who have since been rewarded with price increases and dubious realignment schemes, it's not a bad thing to do.

tony d 02-25-2013 02:39 PM

An outdoor game at Yankee Stadium would be great. Don't think more than 2 games a season would work though.

blamebettman* 02-25-2013 02:48 PM

Devils-Rangers Yankee Stadium 2014, book it!:handclap:

silvercanuck 02-25-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimper (Post 60446373)
BC Place would be amazing for atmosphere reasons though, keeps the chanting and fans in the arena whereas in outdoors arenas it can get lost.

Personally, I think One Heritage Classic (Canadian v Canadian or US - Hosted by Canadian team), a Winter classic (US v Canadian or US - Hosted by American team) and one other marquee game.

Canucks games are pretty quiet lately. I doubt you would hear chants or anything like that at BC Place.

No Fun Shogun 02-25-2013 04:51 PM

Yankee Stadium won't happen as long as they still have the Pinstripe Bowl. I'm sure that it'll happen eventually, though.

Joe T Choker 02-25-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony d (Post 60447251)
An outdoor game at Yankee Stadium would be great. Don't think more than 2 games a season would work though.

How's that going to work with the Pinstripe Bowl ? ... derp

IceAce 02-25-2013 05:17 PM

It wont work for the Winter Classic, however it could work at another time. The article never really indicated they'd all by New Year's Day games. And actually late January is probably a little better weather wise in the Northeast if they want lower temps.

tsanuri 02-25-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumptheshark (Post 60426997)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 60428111)

Chavez Ravine has a average of 50-60 in January. So it can do it. And the Kings have been setting up an outdoor rink downtown across from Staples center for more than a few years. And there has been one in Pershing Square for I think about 15 years during the winter.