HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Silfverberg vs Zibanejad (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1359971)

OMadahey 02-25-2013 12:06 PM

Silfverberg vs Zibanejad
 
So far this season Silf has been given top line minutes mainly. While Zib has seen a mix of both top and bottom minutes and lesser games. Both play the powerplay and Pk. Before looking at their stats I would say silf has been a way better player so far But stats wise...

Silf. 3 goals. 3 assists. 19 games
+ 5 52 shots 8 pm and 15.53TOA

Zib. 3 goals. 3 assists 13 games
+3 27 shots 2 pm and
12.26TOA

So so far in this young season. Who has been better. And who will be better?

MiscBrah 02-25-2013 12:10 PM

Silf plays against tougher opponents. He is also way more consistent. Zibby isn't far behind + he played a great game against Toronto. It's close but my vote goes to Silf.

Curtinho 02-25-2013 12:10 PM

Silfverberg has been more consistent, and better. Zibanejad has shown flashes though of why he was taken 6th overall and has a few years to catch up.

Bob Kudelski 02-25-2013 12:15 PM

Who cares? We're lucky to have both!

Silf has been good all-around, but will really take off once he gets some more confidence to take a few risks offensively.

Zibby just needs to fill out. The sky is the limit with him.

Busboy 02-25-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cujomi (Post 60442747)
Silfverberg has been more consistent, and better. Zibanejad has shown flashes though of why he was taken 6th overall and has a few years to catch up.

Fully agree. I feel like Silfverberg has met my expectations this year and has been consistent while still improving slightly as the season progresses. Zibinejad has passed my expectations and played decently most games while really impressing in others.

Both guys are going to be great for this franchise and IMO have already proven to be legit NHL players. I'm excited to see them continue to get better.

OMadahey 02-25-2013 12:21 PM

While I agree that silf has been more consistent. I would contribute that to his linemates. He's been playing with spezza nd michalek then with turris and Alfi. If Zib had been playing in that situation all year I'd think he would be more consistent given the chance.

Curtinho 02-25-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OMadahey (Post 60443273)
While I agree that silf has been more consistent. I would contribute that to his linemates. He's been playing with spezza nd michalek then with turris and Alfi. If Zib had been playing in that situation all year I'd think he would be more consistent given the chance.

Zibanejad has played better with guys like Greening, Condra and O'Brien than he did when he was given a chance with the more skilled players like Alfredsson.

Minister of Offence 02-25-2013 01:06 PM

Different players that will make similar money at their peak.

Silf will benefit from added explosiveness which can be trained in summers. Zibby needs time to fill out and probably needs coaching and structure to his game, which I expect him to get.

Both guys have reasonable chances to be players that can hit 30 goals in any given healthy season. Both appear to be developing while the teams roster is progressively decimated.

Zibbys natural explosiveness and frame is a huge factor in the type of player he can be. Just like it created the WJC winner, it creates wins in puck races, interceptions, odd man rushes and breakaways.

danishh 02-25-2013 01:07 PM

Silfverberg has been far superior defensively as well though.

NyQuil 02-25-2013 01:11 PM

It's been interesting because they're both Swedish but that's where the similarities end.

I like seeing Zibby as the offensive catalyst in the bottom 6 (with O'Brien, Greening, Condra, Smith, etc.) and Silfverberg as an two-way complementary guy in the top 6.

It's taken awhile for them to fill those roles, but they seem well-suited to them now.

Minister of Offence 02-25-2013 01:20 PM

Defense is easily learned with a willing mind and talent. Most 19 year olds in the NHL never had to learn it growing up, zibby's still ahead of his peers on average.

Popular opinion: karlsson will always be weak on D
Less popular opinion: karlsson has a willing mind and his extremely talented. Someday defense may be a strength of his.

All I'm saying, defense is an overrated attribute most of the time in regards to rookies. If you scouted well, drafted a determined, coachable, talented kid...he'll develop defensively. Sometimes a lot.

SenzZen 02-25-2013 01:35 PM

Silfverberg has exhibited some more mature play (as he should), but still needs to work on his footspeed. He'll be very reliable, and I expect a lot more scoring from him once he starts shooting the puck more.

Zibanejad is just scratching the surface of his raw talent. He needs work on his balance- as opposed to Silf's footspeed; Silf is very strong on his skates- and his consistency. It's almost as though he has panic attacks out there and that is why he takes such short shifts on occasion. I expect him to dominate at times if he continues to face lesser match-ups once he gets more comfortable with the time and space in the league.

Quote:

Originally Posted by danishh (Post 60445595)
Silfverberg has been far superior defensively as well though.

Hyperbole?

Holdurbreathe 02-25-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cujomi (Post 60443551)
Zibanejad has played better with guys like Greening, Condra and O'Brien than he did when he was given a chance with the more skilled players like Alfredsson.

Don't ignore the timeline.

Initially Silf wasn't impressive with Spezza and he went through a few line iterations until MacLean moved him to the left side with Turris and Alfie. It is with Alfie he has looked his best.

Zibby's first game up, he was number one star playing in the top six, then struggled after a few games. Nothing surprising here, the kid had only played 5 or 6 games in Binghamton after returning from missing a month.

But since being scratched, he has been better in each subsequent game and has looked very good the last few games. He is skating well, winning faceoffs, being physical and creating chances.

It wasn't a mistake MacLean had Zib on the ice to take the faceoff in the TO game.

IMO Zibby shows more potential than Silf, and I like Silf a lot.

Beville 02-25-2013 01:43 PM

There's only one stat that can determine who is best...

Corsi.

SlapJack 02-25-2013 01:54 PM

Love them both, they've been exactly the type of players I thought they would be and have been one of the bigger reasons the team is not free falling right now.

Bit of a cop out, but my opinion going forward is that they'll be equally important to the team albeit in different roles and styles. Zib being the more dynamic player to watch and Silf as the more consistent. I'd love to see Silf on the PP a bit more and perhaps try Zib at the point in the future.

18Hossa 02-25-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe (Post 60447135)
Don't ignore the timeline.

Initially Silf wasn't impressive with Spezza and he went through a few line iterations until MacLean moved him to the left side with Turris and Alfie. It is with Alfie he has looked his best.

Zibby's first game up, he was number one star playing in the top six, then struggled after a few games. Nothing surprising here, the kid had only played 5 or 6 games in Binghamton after returning from missing a month.

But since being scratched, he has been better in each subsequent game and has looked very good the last few games. He is skating well, winning faceoffs, being physical and creating chances.

It wasn't a mistake MacLean had Zib on the ice to take the faceoff in the TO game.

IMO Zibby shows more potential than Silf, and I like Silf a lot.

Because he is a center?

LeafRaker 02-25-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 18Hossa (Post 60449875)
Because he is a center?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that he means MacLean trusts Zibanejad.

Quo 02-25-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beville (Post 60447441)
There's only one stat that can determine who is best...

Corsi.

"One stat to rule them all, one stat to find them, one stat to bring them all and in the darkness bind them."

DylanSensFan 02-25-2013 03:06 PM

one is a center and one is a winger... am I doing this right?

Both have bright futures in Ottawa and the thread title should read Zibanejad & Silfverberg vs NHL.

Caje 02-25-2013 03:24 PM

Silfverberg is 22 and Zibanejad is 19. They are too far apart developmentally to accurately compare them.

OMadahey 02-25-2013 03:32 PM

I made the title vs. Because for me I was excited to see how these 2 would compete this year and how they would compare against. Surprisingly at this point I thought their would be more of a point gap between the 2. (In favour of silf) nd I know stats don't paint the whole picture but I think its quite telling

Maturity/development silf is ahead. But Zibs keeping up pure talent/hustle

Holdurbreathe 02-25-2013 03:32 PM

deleted

Holdurbreathe 02-25-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DylanSensFan (Post 60451981)
one is a center and one is a winger... am I doing this right?

Both have bright futures in Ottawa and the thread title should read Zibanejad & Silfverberg vs NHL.

You are just trying to spoil all the fun debate.:laugh:

Do Make Say Think 02-25-2013 03:34 PM

Silfverberg is 3 years older (or close to that) so I don't think comparing them will do much: Zibanejad is nowhere near as developped as Silfverberg.

Both are looking fine and I am pleased with how they are progressing: Zibanejad really looks like he turned a corner last week.

Holdurbreathe 02-25-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeafRaker (Post 60451039)
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that he means MacLean trusts Zibanejad.

Your interpretation would be correct.:nod:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.