HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Thoughts on Joakim Andersson (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1359981)

Chris 84 02-25-2013 12:16 PM

Thoughts on Joakim Andersson
 
Living in Europe and with no NHL on tv, I haven't seen as much of the Wings this year as I'd have liked. I was able to catch the game yesterday on a stream and Joakim Andersson had impressed me to a certain extent even before his goals, but obviously that was a one-off match and it sure wasn't a typical match as far as this season goes.

So.....what do people think of Andersson thus far? Forgetting injuries and waivers, etc for a minute, should he be getting a regular game for us? Is he better than Emmerton or centre-Abdelader? How does he project? Career bottom-6er or more than that? Having seen him in the AHL he seems to have a decent scoring touch but lacks skating ability, but from what I've seen he looks like he could possibly be a complementary top-6er...

Jurky 02-25-2013 12:22 PM

I think he was pretty rough in the first few games this year, looked really slow and took dumb penalties. But it seems like he's picking it up as of late, lots of hustle, good forecheck, cutting down on the rookie mistakes.
The chemistry he has with Tats on the 3rd line is palpable, they look really good together.
He'll be back in GR once we start getting bodies back, that said I think he will/should get a permanent/semi-permanent spot in the bottom 6 next year.

Nyquist 02-25-2013 12:27 PM

If Helm is out for the rest of the year, I hope we keep Andersson up and playing with Tatar. It's no coincidence that we've started doing better once these guys did.

RedWingsNow* 02-25-2013 12:32 PM

Andersson has been pretty decent. Nothing special. But pretty good.
Tatar keeps that line buzzing.

I don't think he's cut out to be a center though. Not with his skating.

Jussha 02-25-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fading Captain (Post 60443827)
Andersson has been pretty decent. Nothing special. But pretty good.
Tatar keeps that line buzzing.

I don't think he's cut out to be a center though. Not with his skating.

He has been ok but I honestly think with Riley Sheahan's skating that he would make that line more dangerous and from all accounts is just as good defensively, if not better, than Anderssen. I honestly can't see how a third line of,

Tatar - Sheahan - Nyquist

is worse defensively, and not offensively superior to

Tatar - Andersson - Eaves

If our goal is to try and make the playoffs this season I think the top choice is better than the bottom choice. Not saying that the bottom line has been bad, I've been very pleased with them since they've been put together, I just think the top option would be better for the team going forward

Harnessed in Slums 02-25-2013 01:16 PM

1. Jim Nill said he's got a better scoring touch than Johan Franzen. Mule was 26 during his rookie season in Detroit and he put up 16 points in 80 games. Right now Andersson is on pace to put up 45 for a full 82 game season. Small data set, but given Nill generally knows what the hell he's talking about it's worth taking notice of Andersson's start.

2. Even before he was scoring Andersson was opening up space for Tatar by being a net front presence. If you look at Tatar's last goal Joakim was net front occupying the attention of the d-man. I think one of our Euro/Prospect hounds was saying he could be a Homer-like presence. I prefer the Mule comparison as Homer's shot was nothing special. But I can see the similarity and Joakim is not bashful about getting into the goalkeep's kitchen. Lots of cookies to be had lately with a few guys being willing to do the dirty work in front of the net.

3. Andersson has the size and two-way game to be a contributor even if he goes through a scoring slump. He's not contributing at all on the PK right now but he's been very good at winning faceoffs. I think he can lock down a roster spot if he can become a regular on one specialty team unit. With his ability to win faceoffs that might be the PK; however he could be a solid net front/slot guy on the second PP unit. Lots of potential.

4. Babs likes him and trusts him. We've been allowing 1.67 even-strength goals against over the past 3 games. Andersson's line has produced 5 goals over the past few games. If good things happen when you're on the ice you tend to get rewarded.

He's made a pretty quick and successful transition to the NHL game. At least we know he's an NHL'er and can figure out where he can contribute the most. Right now the third line has a whole bunch going right for it and I'd be shocked if Babs split up Andersson and Tatar.

Crymson 02-25-2013 01:20 PM

He's got potential. At the very least, he'll be a solid grinder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussha (Post 60444403)
He has been ok but I honestly think with Riley Sheahan's skating that he would make that line more dangerous and from all accounts is just as good defensively, if not better, than Anderssen. I honestly can't see how a third line of,

Tatar - Sheahan - Nyquist

is worse defensively, and not offensively superior to

Tatar - Andersson - Eaves

If our goal is to try and make the playoffs this season I think the top choice is better than the bottom choice. Not saying that the bottom line has been bad, I've been very pleased with them since they've been put together, I just think the top option would be better for the team going forward

If you think that Sheahan is a good skater, then I question if you've been watching him play. He is not a good skater at present. More, he lacks maturity. In sum, he would get eaten alive in the NHL.

Eaves is superior to Sheahan as an NHL player at this time.

Jussha 02-25-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crymson (Post 60446225)
He's got potential. At the very least, he'll be a solid grinder.



If you think that Sheahan is a good skater, then I question if you've been watching him play. He is not a good skater at present. More, he lacks maturity. In sum, he would get eaten alive in the NHL.

Eaves is superior to Sheahan as an NHL player at this time.

I'm not comparing Sheahan's skating to Eaves, I was comparing Sheahan's to Anderssons. I will admit I haven't seen Sheahan playing this season, but from what everyone on this board in the griffins thread has been posting about Sheahan, he does seem to be a better skater than Anderson from what I can gather from others watching them. Now that could simply because Anderssen himself is a pretty crappy skater, but I still think Sheahan is better than Andersson, and I think Nyquist can match Eaves already, especially since Eaves is one hit away from a career being over

joe89 02-25-2013 01:33 PM

What he's showing in the AHL and now NHL is that he can bury the puck when he gets a chance, and that's a great quality for a bottom six player. He's not a creator but has a good sense for where to position himself. He also brings some defensive value. I think his speed is enough to be an NHL player, but if he wants to be more than that he needs to work on his first steps. Hey, it's a big body that can hold on to the puck and has some offense, we could use more of that.

This is turning out to be a good try-out for next season where he, if not a top12 forward, likely will be a regular extra forward.

mindfly 02-25-2013 01:38 PM

I don't have anything against him, he just feels so...redundant? You got Sheahan, Ferraro who is better and have higher upside, then you have L-M Aubry who probably will be better.. plenty of big bottom-6 players in the system

joe89 02-25-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfly (Post 60447173)
I don't have anything against him, he just feels so...redundant? You got Sheahan, Ferraro who is better and have higher upside, then you have L-M Aubry who probably will be better.. plenty of big bottom-6 players in the system

Disagree with that, Sheahan and Ferraro are better skaters but not better players overall as of today, factoring in skating. Aubry's upside I would also say is lower than Andersson's.

RedWingsNow* 02-25-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe89 (Post 60447675)
Disagree with that, Sheahan and Ferraro are better skaters but not better players overall as of today, factoring in skating. Aubry's upside I would also say is lower than Andersson's.

Aubry has had a very disappointing year.

Good for Joakim. He's been better than I thought.
His first camp here, I was very impressed with him. But at times, he simply looked like he didn't have the skating to be in the NHL.
He seems to have improved there.
But you know, he is 24. Hardly a kid anymore.

RedWingsNow* 02-25-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabricoh (Post 60445975)
1. Jim Nill said he's got a better scoring touch than Johan Franzen. Mule was 26 during his rookie season in Detroit and he put up 16 points in 80 games. Right now Andersson is on pace to put up 45 for a full 82 game season. Small data set, but given Nill generally knows what the hell he's talking about it's worth taking notice of Andersson's start.

Dude.. guy gets 2 goals in a blow out... Might not score another goal all year.

Quote:

2. Even before he was scoring Andersson was opening up space for Tatar by being a net front presence. If you look at Tatar's last goal Joakim was net front occupying the attention of the d-man. I think one of our Euro/Prospect hounds was saying he could be a Homer-like presence. I prefer the Mule comparison as Homer's shot was nothing special. But I can see the similarity and Joakim is not bashful about getting into the goalkeep's kitchen. Lots of cookies to be had lately with a few guys being willing to do the dirty work in front of the net.
I don't think Andersson has show a) Franzen's skating b) Franzen's shot c) Franzen's stickhandling.



Quote:

3. Andersson has the size and two-way game to be a contributor even if he goes through a scoring slump. He's not contributing at all on the PK right now but he's been very good at winning faceoffs. I think he can lock down a roster spot if he can become a regular on one specialty team unit. With his ability to win faceoffs that might be the PK; however he could be a solid net front/slot guy on the second PP unit. Lots of potential.
Unless he improves his skating, a two way game might be difficult. He's winning less than 50 perrcent faceoffs.



Quote:

He's made a pretty quick and successful transition to the NHL game. At least we know he's an NHL'er and can figure out where he can contribute the most. Right now the third line has a whole bunch going right for it and I'd be shocked if Babs split up Andersson and Tatar.
Considering Andersson is on the next bus back to GR, it's premature to say he's made a successful transition to the NHL.

You're really, really premature with your pronouncements

crashman 02-25-2013 02:00 PM

I think he could be a good 4th liner, but not much more.

Anyone impressed by his 2 goal game is kidding themselves, Luongo's head was in the clouds at that point of the game. That guy simply can't handle pressure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fading Captain (Post 60448117)
Considering Andersson is on the next bus back to GR, it's premature to say he's made a successful transition to the NHL.

You're really, really premature with your pronouncements

Seems to be the plague of this board these days.

RedWingsNow* 02-25-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashman (Post 60448383)
I think he could be a good 4th liner, but not much more.

Anyone impressed by his 2 goal game is kidding themselves, Luongo's head was in the clouds at that point of the game. That guy simply can't handle pressure.



Seems to be the plague of this board these days.

Yeah, that first goal was weak as can be.
The second goal was nice, I think. One timer.

He was out there with Z and Brunner.

Did anyone ever look into Fil's injury?

joe89 02-25-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashman (Post 60448383)
I think he could be a good 4th liner, but nothing more.

Anyone impressed by his 2 goal game is kidding themselves, Luongo's head was in the clouds at that point of the game. That guy simply can't handle pressure.

What he does in one game doesn't mean a thing but he's not a blank slate offensively. 0.7ppg in the AHL last year, 0.72 this year. Mursak's best AHL year was 0.65, Helm's best was 0.67, Abdelkader's best was 0.73, Emmerton's best 0.58. Players always take different paths at the next level so the rest remains to be seen.

TatarTangle 02-25-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fading Captain (Post 60448117)
I don't think Andersson has show a) [b]Franzen's skating[b/] b) Franzen's shot c) Franzen's stickhandling.

Easy Bob, anyone can float just as well as Franzen :sarcasm:

sully61 02-25-2013 02:25 PM

If he gets better at skating, I can see him being a 3rd line scorer. He's been good so far this year. I feel he'd earn a spot on the roster the rest of the year even when the team is healthy, but Emmerton has played great so he'll probably get sent back down, which is fine, but next year we should try him at wing if we resign Emmerton which I sort of hope we do.

joe89 02-25-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully61 (Post 60449751)
If he gets better at skating, I can see him being a 3rd line scorer. He's been good so far this year. I feel he'd earn a spot on the roster the rest of the year even when the team is healthy, but Emmerton has played great so he'll probably get sent back down, which is fine, but next year we should try him at wing if we resign Emmerton which I sort of hope we do.

Emmerton is already under contract for next year. Andersson isn't yet, though.

InjuredChoker 02-25-2013 02:35 PM

I don't see long term future for him unless he improves he's skating. I don't think he should be on the third line in a contender. And he's not my ideal 4th line player who crashes and bangs. But so far this season he's been ok.

JPE123 02-25-2013 02:46 PM

My concern with him is his skating. At 24, I don't think he gets a whole lot better at skating. He has filled in nicely though and he makes few mistakes, I'm only remembering one bad turnover so far.

RedWinger10 02-25-2013 03:10 PM

He's a possible bottom 6 player for sure but those last two goals were scored after the Canucks and luongo have totally given up. But nonetheless he played good all game and showed good 2-way ability. I'd say play him as a bottom 6 until helm, Franzen,and Bert get back.

SoupGuru 02-25-2013 03:17 PM

I think he has a few nice tools at his disposal and seems to be pretty coachable. He's settled down quite a bit since his first few games. Maybe the confidence of his last couple of goals will manifest itself.

He could be a third liner in a year or two. Not much room for him this year when the injured guys come back.

Vladdy84 02-25-2013 03:24 PM

He's OK. At best he's a decent 4th liner with a big body that can win faceoffs and bring some grit. At worst he's goes the route of Ritola/Mursak.

Jimbo7200 02-25-2013 03:35 PM

Andersson will end up being a net front specialist/4th line grinder. Andrew Brunette-lite.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.