HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Speculation: Trade Targets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1360319)

jMoneyBrah 02-25-2013 06:40 PM

Trade Targets

First thread so please play nice with me.

I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on trade targets for the Sharks. I, for one, am not for blowing up the team or the core, but do think a good hockey trade to acquire a true winger is needed. Preferably something more than a rental, and without giving up any of our current top 6 wingers.

Maybe something around Demers to get Okposo?

What are your thoughts, and who are players you would like to see DW pursue?

TheJuxtaposer 02-25-2013 06:43 PM

You all know my opinion: Blow it the **** up.

Fatturdmanshark 02-25-2013 06:47 PM

Grabner would be sick...Not sure which pieces go which way, that's D-dubs job.

Fistfullofbeer 02-25-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 60462761)
You all know my opinion: Blow it the **** up.

Already talked my wife into letting me get a new jersey or two come June when I get my yearly bonus.

I have both Joe jerseys .. wonder which one will need replacing.

Hatrick Marleau 02-25-2013 06:50 PM

My suggestion: Cody McLeod and Thomas Vanek

McLeod because he would be an upgrade on the 4th line, can PK, play physical, and would hopefully help Clowe realize that he doesn't need to be an enforcer anymore so he can get back to being the Clowe of old.

Vanek because the guy has sick hands and can flat out score goals. We would likely have to give up Pavelski+ ,though.

TheJuxtaposer 02-25-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer (Post 60463337)
Already talked my wife into letting me get a new jersey or two come June when I get my yearly bonus.

I have both Joe jerseys .. wonder which one will need replacing.

Personally, I think your best bet would be to get the jersey of the forward signed right now for the longest term.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau (Post 60463393)

McLeod because he would be an upgrade on the 4th line, can PK, and would hopefully help Clowe realize that he doesn't need to be an enforcer anymore so he can get back to being the Clowe of old.

Vanek because the guy has sick hands and can flat out score goals. We would likely have to give up Pavelski+ ,though.

If you want a goon from Colorado, I'd much prefer John Mitchell. He has a history of strong possession numbers, and I swear to god in the 4-5 Avs games I've watched this season he looks like Malkin. I'm not even joking about that.

As for Vanek, his contract is disgusting.

Hertl My Pickles 02-25-2013 06:56 PM

Tavares :sarcasm:
But I think Grabner would be a nice addition.

Fistfullofbeer 02-25-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 60463637)
Personally, I think your best bet would be to get the jersey of the forward signed right now for the longest term.

Adam Burish .. here I come.

Man .. that is really sad that Burish is currently our longest term forward. :shakehead

TheJuxtaposer 02-25-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer (Post 60463807)

Man .. that is really sad that Burish is currently our longest term forward. :shakehead

I can't tell if I'm laughing or crying right now, but there are definitely tears. :laugh:

Hatrick Marleau 02-25-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 60463637)

If you want a goon from Colorado, I'd much prefer John Mitchell. He has a history of strong possession numbers, and I swear to god in the 4-5 Avs games I've watched this season he looks like Malkin. I'm not even joking about that.

As for Vanek, his contract is disgusting.

Whichever player improves the 4th line.

What if the Sabres kept 1.5mil of that contract. Would only be 5.6mil then.

jMoneyBrah 02-25-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer (Post 60463807)

Oh. Em. Gee. The fact that this is true hurts my heart and my brain. I am by no means a Burrish hater, and outside of his contract I have little no opinion either way about his play of the 4th line. To me he looks like a typical 4th liner (doesn't contribute much offensively, plays decent on PK). But with the contract as part of the conversation it just looks terrible. Probably at the time of the signing it was a stretch, now after the Salary Cap is set so low next year Burrish has to be the Sharks prime candidate for a Compliance Buyout.

jMoneyBrah 02-25-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau (Post 60463393)

McLeod because he would be an upgrade on the 4th line, can PK, play physical, and would hopefully help Clowe realize that he doesn't need to be an enforcer anymore so he can get back to being the Clowe of old.

Vanek would look great with Jumbo! But even if his part of his contract was retained by BUF to put it at parity with Pavelski's do you think it would be wise to move Pavelski for a single season of Vanek (after this season) and the possibility of losing him in FA? not rhetorical, serious question. Also what is the + in that deal, are we talking Demers, Hamilton, or something like a 3rd?

Hatrick Marleau 02-25-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jMoneyBrah (Post 60464823)
Vanek would look great with Jumbo! But even if his part of his contract was retained by BUF to put it at parity with Pavelski's do you think it would be wise to move Pavelski for a single season of Vanek (after this season) and the possibility of losing him in FA? not rhetorical, serious question. Also what is the + in that deal, are we talking Demers, Hamilton, or something like a 3rd?

Pavelski and Vanek are pretty much the same age and both have another year after this. We would have a risk of either of them going to UFA. The deal would probably look like: Pavs+Nieto+3rd for Vanek or something like that.

Bizz06 02-25-2013 07:24 PM

Sidney Crosby and Steven Stamkos.

make it happen.

jwhitesj 02-25-2013 07:42 PM

I don't think the players are the problem. There can be some improvement, but I think the tallent is acceptable. The problem is everyone on the team for two years in a row has played below their potential. That means there is a systematic problem. If you keep replacing the parts of a broken system, nothing will change.

SJsharks 02-25-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwhitesj (Post 60467435)
I don't think the players are the problem. There can be some improvement, but I think the tallent is acceptable. The problem is everyone on the team for two years in a row has played below their potential. That means there is a systematic problem. If you keep replacing the parts of a broken system, nothing will change.

How can it be a systematic problem when the players are playing as bad as they are? These guys are having a hard time stringing more than two passes together. We know they have traditionally played a puck control game (or at least have tried to) and quick passes are key to make up for the lack of speed and they can't even do that. None of us are in the locker room so we don't know what is said but by all reports tmac gets his players prepared as much as any other coach, if not more so. So that's just my opinion, I think it's a player issue and dw (as much as I like him) is the one to look at here. His job is to give the staff the tools they need and he gave this staff possibly the slowest team in the league. Again my opinion

So In short I would love to see a guy like grabner or some guys with speed that can control the puck well

SFSharkie 02-25-2013 08:07 PM

Not sure about who we would get but I think that if we keep sucking for a bit longer we could see DW pull the trigger on a Boyle to NYR or PHI move. This would obviously be a clear sign he's given up on the season though. Id assume he'd target young prospects/picks from either of those teams. They both seem like natural suitors to me.

Fistfullofbeer 02-25-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFSharkie (Post 60470227)
Not sure about who we would get but I think that if we keep sucking for a bit longer we could see DW pull the trigger on a Boyle to NYR or PHI move. This would obviously be a clear sign he's given up on the season though. Id assume he'd target young prospects/picks from either of those teams. They both seem like natural suitors to me.

I would expect Krieder+ or Hagelin+ from NYR for Boyle but the Rangers fans are way too stuck on those guys. Even Krieder who was benched this year.

Rickety Cricket 02-25-2013 08:12 PM

I'm worried that if the Sharks fire McLellan they would end up more like the Caps as opposed to the Ducks.

TheJuxtaposer 02-25-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer (Post 60470677)
I would expect Krieder+ or Hagelin+ from NYR for Boyle but the Rangers fans are way too stuck on those guys. Even Krieder who was benched this year.

I understand not wanting to give up Hagelin at this point, he's been really amazing.

But Kreider? He's been brutal. Check out the usage chart:

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps71c77b44.png

Kreider's sitting pretty at a -24 Corsi despite starting 61% of his non-neutral zone starts in the offensive zone and playing most of his minutes with Richards and/or Callahan. And he's only got 2 points in 10 games this season despite having 16% on-ice shooting.

Man, Rangers fans sure look silly for telling me that he wasn't trying in the AHL, that's why his AHL numbers were so brutal, because he was already an established NHLer and didn't have anything to prove. Sure 30 goal Calder season. Oh jeez. I dunno if I even want the kid anymore.

Sharksfan83 02-25-2013 08:32 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing Clowe and Murray shipped out, and a guy like Troy Brouwer and Michael Grabner brought in.

For some reason I feel they told Pavelski that he will be playing first line minutes though when he signed his contract..

Marleau - Thornton - Grabner
Sheppard - Couture - Havlat
Wingels - Pavelski - Brouwer
Galiardi - Handzus - Burrish

or something.

Gene Parmesan 02-25-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 60471663)
I understand not wanting to give up Hagelin at this point, he's been really amazing.

But Kreider? He's been brutal. Check out the usage chart:

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps71c77b44.png

Kreider's sitting pretty at a -24 Corsi despite starting 61% of his non-neutral zone starts in the offensive zone and playing most of his minutes with Richards and/or Callahan. And he's only got 2 points in 10 games this season despite having 16% on-ice shooting.

Man, Rangers fans sure look silly for telling me that he wasn't trying in the AHL, that's why his AHL numbers were so brutal, because he was already an established NHLer and didn't have anything to prove. Sure 30 goal Calder season. Oh jeez. I dunno if I even want the kid anymore.

Hes no longer a secret. Hes got the physical tools but I question his fortitude and hockey sense. Torts is a tyrant but hes shown nothing this year to warrant any praise.

TealManV 02-25-2013 08:45 PM

Garth is always down for a bad trade and he needs some D. So something like; one of Murray, Demers or Braun + for one of Grabner, Okposo or Nino.

SactoShork 02-25-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket (Post 60470877)
I'm worried that if the Sharks fire McLellan they would end up more like the Caps as opposed to the Ducks.

Definitely the main concern. But, I don't believe Larry Robinson would pass up the position if it were vacant (even though he said he didn't want that). And if it weren't him, then I doubt the suitor would be as obvious as whoever was fired last.

TheJuxtaposer 02-25-2013 08:48 PM

Okposo is the one to go after right now. He's not scoring, but he's playing decently. Good contract, young, potential powerforward. I like Grabner better, but Grabner would cost an arm and a leg, and Okposo could be cheaper.