HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Dallas Stars (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Ryan Whitney (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1360503)

tjcurrie 02-25-2013 11:53 PM

Ryan Whitney

Definitely out of favor here in Edmonton. He's been scratched I believe 5 out of the last 9 games. I know it's easy to say that if he can't play in Edmonton, he can't play here. But the guy just needs to get healthy. He just turned 30 so definitely isn't over the hill. He's in a real negative situation with the coaches on him and his foot nagging him still. I think a change of scenery and a boost of confidence ala Kari Lehtonen could potentially rejuvenate a guy who was not too long ago a pretty good defenseman. Wouldn't cost much either. I guarantee someone takes a chance on him. No telling if he does regain form or not eventually, but if he does I would hate to see someone else reap the rewards.

Thoughts?

StarsFan74 02-25-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjcurrie (Post 60487773)
Definitely out of favor here in Edmonton. He's been scratched I believe 5 out of the last 9 games. I know it's easy to say that if he can't play in Edmonton, he can't play here. But the guy just needs to get healthy. He just turned 30 so definitely isn't over the hill. He's in a real negative situation with the coaches on him and his foot nagging him still. I think a change of scenery and a boost of confidence ala Kari Lehtonen could potentially rejuvenate a guy who was not too long ago a pretty good defenseman. Wouldn't cost much either. I guarantee someone takes a chance on him. No telling if he does regain form or not eventually, but if he does I would hate to see someone else reap the rewards.

Thoughts?

Hard to tell. We clearly need a blue-liner who can consistently get pucks to the net and Whitney was once capable. Our taking a chance on him depends whether we give him a Vishnevskiy-like player or end up giving them something more valuable. I wonder how guarded JN is this year with his draft picks.

P.S. We can always give back EDM's 3rd for Whitney.

tjcurrie 02-25-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarsFan74 (Post 60487917)
Hard to tell. We clearly need a blue-liner who can consistently get pucks to the net and Whitney was once capable. Our taking a chance on him depends whether we give him a Vishnevskiy-like player or end up giving them something more valuable. I wonder how guarded JN is this year with his draft picks.

It's a risk no doubt. But it's a risk I take depending on like you said, what the cost is. I could see them letting him go for a 3rd, which I would do, but if they hold on to him until deadline that price could go up, In which case I'd be hesitant. Still though, could pay off. Even 2nd rounders have a very slim chance of turning in to anything. It's kind of a risk for a risk.

Mr Misty 02-26-2013 12:58 AM

He's got no legs left. Imagine if that goal that Fisher scored tonight and that OT goal Jagr scored in Edmonton mated and their offspring came to every game Whitney played in.

tjcurrie 02-26-2013 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Misty (Post 60491213)
He's got no legs left. Imagine if that goal that Fisher scored tonight and that OT goal Jagr scored in Edmonton mated and their offspring came to every game Whitney played in.

I just question if he's truly done. He only turned 30 last week. He very well could be done, but it's not unreasonable to think he could regain his form. We couldn't just throw him in to the fire and make him a top pairing guy off the hop, but giving him limited minutes and some PP time just to see what's up I don't think would hurt. I'm pretty sure at least part of his problem is that he and the coaching staff don't mix for some reason. There's something going on there too.

LatvianTwist 02-26-2013 01:12 AM

He needs time to heal, which is something we don't have at this point.

I might be interested in signing him cheap this summer, but by then there probably won't be a spot for him. Unless we somehow end up tossing an offersheet to one of the RFA defenders (there's an impressive group of them this year), or we could add a guy like Bouwmeester without paying through the nose, I don't think we'll be adding much though FA in terms of defense.

Rune Forumwalker 02-26-2013 02:18 AM

Dallas is where defenders go to die, not to become good. :help:

piqued 02-26-2013 10:44 AM

Well if the goal is to make Goligoski look like a defensive stalwart in comparison then this would work.

Otherwise no way would I give up any assets for a band-aid that needs its own band-aid.

tjcurrie 03-03-2013 12:41 PM

Looked decent vs St.Louis Friday night. Scored his first goal of the season too jumping up in to the play.

I still say he's worth a chance.

BigG44 03-03-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjcurrie (Post 60854969)
Looked decent vs St.Louis Friday night. Scored his first goal of the season too jumping up in to the play.

I still say he's worth a chance.

Two things are impressive about that video.

1) That's a foot race from the same spot on the ice, both starting from mostly a stop, between Ryan Whitney and David Perron, and Whitney smoked him. Maybe he just needed some extra time for the ankles to heal, but that didn't look like a guy who lost mobility because of surgery.

2) I <3 STL. That organ player was playing CeeLo Green's ******* You! as the goal against song. Hilarious!

tjcurrie 03-03-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigG44 (Post 60858321)

Two things are impressive about that video.

1) That's a foot race from the same spot on the ice, both starting from mostly a stop, between Ryan Whitney and David Perron, and Whitney smoked him. Maybe he just needed some extra time for the ankles to heal, but that didn't look like a guy who lost mobility because of surgery.

2) I <3 STL. That organ player was playing CeeLo Green's ******* You! as the goal against song. Hilarious!

:laugh:

Yeah he certainly looked like he can skate. I'll be seriously disappointed if someone like L.A. or whoever snags him for a 3rd or something like that and he flourishes.

ginblossoms 03-04-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker (Post 60493853)
Dallas is where defenders go to die, not to become good. :help:

hey now... dallas is where stephane robidas became a #1 dman...

and edmonton can make a convincing case, too... pronger, souray, visnovsky, and now whitney...

haf 03-05-2013 01:37 PM

I think Ryan Whitney is the kind of guy to take a flier on, and I think that he will in fact regain form, to at least some extent.

I just don't think that would be a good move for this team that has had so many moving parts on d already. Add in that we have our own PMD that has lost confidence in goose and it makes less sense.

Good player that will probably rebound, but also not really a good situation for him here at the moment.

tjcurrie 03-05-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haf (Post 61011013)
I think Ryan Whitney is the kind of guy to take a flier on, and I think that he will in fact regain form, to at least some extent.

I just don't think that would be a good move for this team that has had so many moving parts on d already. Add in that we have our own PMD that has lost confidence in goose and it makes less sense.

Good player that will probably rebound, but also not really a good situation for him here at the moment.

Screw the moment. IF in fact it's as you say not good for the moment (which maybe it is, maybe it isn't) I'm looking more towards next season and beyond. Adding pieces to the puzzle when possible. I think a rebounded Whitney is easily a piece to the puzzle. Especially if he comes at a cheap price.

Edit: Just scored again