HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Playoff vs Top prospect (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1360681)

zzoo 02-26-2013 10:09 AM

Playoff vs Top prospect

Do you want Habs participate in playoff this year or Habs having Drouin, McKinnon or Seth Jones ?

Mrb1p 02-26-2013 10:13 AM

Playoff. We already got one top prospect who might even be better then them down the road.

The goal of a team should always be playoff. WTF is this loser mentality.

Last year really has grown into you guys

Habs 4 Life 02-26-2013 10:14 AM

Both :nod:

Erik Estrada 02-26-2013 10:19 AM

I want everything.

Unless we fall off a cliff and are a few points out of a playoff race come trade deadline, we're focusing on playoffs.

Jmac1160* 02-26-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrb1p (Post 60501665)
Playoff. We already got one top prospect who might even be better then them down the road.

The goal of a team should always be playoff. WTF is this loser mentality.

Last year really has grown into you guys

This

We are one of the top teams right now yet there are STILL threads like this. **** off

Et le But 02-26-2013 10:21 AM

The tank brigade is back already?

Drydenwasthebest 02-26-2013 10:25 AM

As I have said since last year, we do not need to tank. We are one of the best teams in the league when healthy. We have desperately needed Markov back, and now that we have him I am all for a run at the Cup. We should see who might be available at the trade deadline to help put us over the top (try and get Clowe from San Jose) for a Cup run, and then let Timmins work his draft day magic. We have four picks in the first two rounds. Timmins will find us some gold.

We actually have the pieces to make a good, solid Cup run, guys. Let's think about winning #25 rather than tanking and hoping to win it in 3-5 years from now. Seriously, get a Ryan Clowe type of forward and a crease clearing defenceman who can hit and protect Price, and we will be in the Finals.

PricePkPatch 02-26-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Et le But (Post 60501969)
The tank brigade is back already?

They figured we got beaten by the Islanders and the Sens in the same week; might as well throw the towel

Erik Estrada 02-26-2013 10:29 AM

Even as sellers, the odds of drafting another Chucky this season are close to zero...

1) The 3rd worst team last season had a historically high amount of points. I had made the calculation last year. If my memory serves me right, some seasons, with the same record as last season, we can draft close to 10.
2) We lost an incredible amount of Shootout games.
3) We had ridiculous injuries.
4) We had bad coaching.
5) Chucky doesn't fall to 3 if he isn't injured last season.

All the stars were aligned...

Edit: With 78 points, 2011-12 is the only season we would draft as high as 3rd (if our lottery pick stays same) since the Shootout was implemented... In 2006-07 we would have drafted 9th.

sharks9 02-26-2013 10:37 AM

Unless half the team gets injured we won't be finishing in the bottom 3 so why even talk about it?

IceDaddy 02-26-2013 10:37 AM

Playoffs.

MasterDecoy 02-26-2013 10:37 AM

while the goal should always be to make the playoffs, i prefer a top prospect this year. last place finish last year, expiring contracts and whatnot, seems like the best time to do it.

that said, no way were missing the playoffs :)

Agnostic 02-26-2013 10:39 AM

Let's talk near the trade deadline. The team is off to an amazing start, but it has also been involved in lengthy collapses over the years.

Too much parity, too many things to happen over the next 15-20 games to make a call.

Plante 02-26-2013 10:48 AM

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Playoffs.

Darth Joker 02-26-2013 10:53 AM

Threads like this should not exist on a team's board when said team is at the top of the Conference near the half-way point of the season.

Seriously, it's just incredibly sad to see threads like this even exist here at this point.

Some people here are so insanely focused on upcoming picks and prospects that they can't even enjoy the here and now when the here and now involves a top team in the Conference!

FlyingKostitsyn 02-26-2013 10:58 AM

We don't automatically get MacKinnon, Drouin or Seth Jones if we miss the playoffs.

Picking top3 requires an abnormal amount of suckage that we just don't have this year. We did it last year but it doesn't mean it was easy.

I'd rather make the playoffs than pick 8 to 14 overall. Big time. Timmins is good enough to find us a good player in the later part of the first round. We might have the chance to select a great prospect even then that might turn out better than one of the top 3 even, stranger things have happened.

pezcore 02-26-2013 11:00 AM

We`re first in the east...c'mon.

We got 4 picks in the top 60, thats already pretty awesome, and with Timmins & cie at work, we'll find a couple of top/good prospects.

Im happy happy happy we got Galchenyuk, and had a quick turnaround. It only proves that we werent a last place team but that management was the problem.

Habbadasher 02-26-2013 11:15 AM

The statistical likelihood of us missing the playoffs are decreasing steadily.

So it doesn't matter what we want, we will most likely make the playoffs.

Tuggy 02-26-2013 11:16 AM

First place in the Eastern Conference...talk of picking top 3.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...x/23519565.jpg

Mrb1p 02-26-2013 11:18 AM

Oh am I happy I'm not the only one thinking this way. :laugh:

Prairie Habs 02-26-2013 11:22 AM

Why not make a thread like this on the Chicago board and see the responses?

Crimson Skorpion 02-26-2013 11:23 AM

6-0-2 in their last eight games.
Eight out of a possible ten points during that stretch.
First place in the East, TIED for 2nd in the NHL.

I think it's safe to say playoffs.

Captain Smurf 02-26-2013 11:29 AM

I'd prefer a top-prospect over simply "making the playoffs'. But the team right now looks like they can make a run for the cup, and I'd choose that over either.

Blind Gardien 02-26-2013 11:31 AM

I think some people underestimate the development value of making the playoffs. As fans, there's big entertainment value for some of us. But I think making the playoffs also helps the team building process more than some credit. Building isn't just getting draft picks. It's also exposing the players, and particularly the younger ones, to winning, and to what it takes to win in the playoffs. It also raises how players perceive the organization, which can help in contract negotiations and FA signings, which can also help build the team. Making the playoffs, especially with a young team that ought to be considered on an upward trajectory, should always be the preferred outcome.

la25ecoupe 02-26-2013 11:32 AM

If I can pick make the playoff this year, or draft top 3 next year (let's say you get what you wish for), I'd take top 3 next year. Because it'll be a longer lasting satisfaction then making the playoff this year. Look at last year, we missed the playoff and we forgot about its pain already. And look at how we're enjoying Chucky this year, and the MANY more to come.

So since this is a short year, I'd think long term this time. However, after this year, I want playoff every season.