HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Gotta love those Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1360905)

SpeedDemon 02-26-2013 02:44 PM

Gotta love those Wings

The Red Wings are perhaps the best example of consistency.

Yzerman- long gone
Federov- long gone
Shanahan long gone
Osgood- long gone

they were still a force to be reckoned with

add to that

Lidstrom- gone
Stuart- gone
Rafalski- gone

kinda makes me wonder who's gonna take over once Datsyuk and Zetterberg join that list.

scary to think about how they manage to find the right guys and at the right time who play the right way

Flowah 02-26-2013 02:47 PM

Have you seen them this year?

They aren't the team they were back in 2009. Not even close.

rrasco 02-26-2013 02:50 PM

Here's to hoping...

Smith, Ouellet, Sproul, Tatar, Brunner, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, Mrazek...and some others

96 02-26-2013 02:55 PM

Well, they are a fringe playoff team at the 1/3 mark of the season. Defensively, they are not looking so good. Datsyuk and Zetterberg can only do so much. Kronwall has been doing well after a slow start, but their depth is weak and Howard is showing that he is average at best. I think they will make the playoffs again, but I envision an early exit.

Turrican* 02-26-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedDemon (Post 60515211)

Yzerman- long gone
Federov- long gone
Shanahan long gone
Osgood- long gone

:laugh: :lol:

Nice one man!

Frozen Fiend 02-26-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96 (Post 60515811)
Well, they are a fringe playoff team at the 1/3 mark of the season. Defensively, they are not looking so good. Datsyuk and Zetterberg can only do so much. Kronwall has been doing well after a slow start, but their depth is weak and Howard is showing that he is average at best. I think they will make the playoffs again, but I envision an early exit.

How does 16 games in a lockout season prove he is average at best? Goaltending has to be one of the hardest positions to stay consistently good at.

Chalupa Batman 02-26-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leman Russ (Post 60515913)
:laugh: :lol:

Nice one man!

Are you suggesting that Osgood wasn't a consistent member of the Wings?

CanucksSayEh 02-26-2013 03:02 PM

I like to dip them in Jim Beam hot sauce.

Flowah 02-26-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur (Post 60516153)

No he's suggesting that Osgood is not on the level of the other 3 Wings he mentioned. There's a reason he didn't mention Draper or Maltby, who were also consistent Wings (more than Ozzy even).

He was listing what he considered were "greats."

Obviously the other guy doesn't agree Osgood was that noteworthy.

Personally I think Osgood doesn't get enough credit. He sucked the last few years during the regular season, but he always turned it up for the playoffs. 2008 and 2009 he was rock solid and made some huge saves. He was in the talks for 2009 Conn Smyth, which I think he would have gotten if the Wings had gone back to back.

Turrican* 02-26-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur (Post 60516153)

I'm suggesting any goalie could have done that well with that team in front of him.

Buddy never even posted a 0.920 sv% as a starter in his career.

ricky0034 02-26-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

it's generally pretty difficult to have good depth when you're averaging something like 10 man-games lost to injury/game

Jurky 02-26-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Yzerman- long gone
Federov- long gone
Shanahan long gone
Osgood- long gone

lol, you and I must have a different definition of that phrase.

They are mediocre right now, the playoff streak is in jeopardy and our prospect pool, while solid, is lacking sure fire NHL stars.

I'm holding on to the hope that we hit the jackpot with a few of our prospects like we did with Z and D, if not Kenny needs to get proactive and start earning his pay check.

Flowah 02-26-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricky0034 (Post 60516827)
it's generally pretty difficult to have good depth when you're averaging something like 10 man-games lost to injury/game

Yeah... the team shouldn't care about Bert, Sammy, CC.

We really only have a couple of guys injured that make any sort of real difference, Helm and Franzen. Everyone else is mostly a plug. Even Smith, in the 8 games he played before getting injured, was nothing special. He was adequate, but in this year's D-corp, he wasn't standing out one way or the other.

ricky0034 02-26-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flowah (Post 60517013)
Yeah... the team shouldn't care about Bert, Sammy, CC.

We really only have a couple of guys injured that make any sort of real difference, Helm and Franzen. Everyone else is mostly a plug. Even Smith, in the 8 games he played before getting injured, was nothing special. He was adequate, but in this year's D-corp, he wasn't standing out one way or the other.

Bertuzzi and Sameulsson are consistent 40 point guys

how exactly do they not matter when talking about "depth"?

PensFanSince1989 02-26-2013 03:19 PM

No, you don't.

LolClarkson* 02-26-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Yzerman- long gone
Federov- long gone
Shanahan long gone
Osgood- long gone

add to that

Lidstrom- gone
Stuart- gone
Rafalski- gone

kinda makes me wonder who's gonna take over once Datsyuk and Zetterberg join that list.

scary to think about how they manage to find the right guys and at the right time who play the right way

Was is even more scary is how fast a team can fall from grace. Dallas, St.Luis and Colorado used to be tough to beat every night too.

FinRuutu 02-26-2013 03:21 PM

Lidström gone and Kronwall has stepped up his point production and is showing that he can be the no. 1

Fun fact of the day: Kronwall leads in points by D-man in NHL but also in KHL playoffs. Staffan is 2+2 in 4 games.

Slick Eller 02-26-2013 03:21 PM

Osgood wasn't elite at all but I agree he doesn't get enough credits sometimes. He got the job done in the playoffs on several occasion. He was the kind of goaltender that you could win with, but he wasn't the most consistent goaltender around. Hot and cold.

The Wings are the best organization in the league. They are real professional for years with great staff.

Jurky 02-26-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldrunner (Post 60517347)
Was is even more scary is how fast a team can fall from grace. Dallas, St.Luis and Colorado used to be tough to beat every night too.

I agree that the Wings are trending downwards at the moment, but comparing them to Dallas, St. Louis, and Colorado isn't a fair example. We're not talking about 5-10 years of contending we're talking about 15-20 years of solid contending.

InjuredChoker 02-26-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinRuutu (Post 60517441)
Lidström gone and Kronwall has stepped up his point production and is showing that he can be the no. 1

Fun fact of the day: Kronwall leads in points by D-man in NHL but also in KHL playoffs. Staffan is 2+2 in 4 games.

Only for past three games or so.. before that he's D hasn't been #1D level or even first pairing.

Hammettf2b 02-26-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

You obviously haven't been watching Wings games. He's kept us in a lot of games where we should have lost. I'd say hes been far better than "average at best". He can't do it by himself, its our D thats been "average at best", and thats a being generous.

The Nose 02-26-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinRuutu (Post 60517441)

Kronwall is not showing that he's a #1 at all. Points are always nice but his defense has been really really really bad. Really.

InjuredChoker 02-26-2013 03:26 PM

Devils should be close too.. the amount of players they have lost through UFA, most predict they won't make the playoffs and still they hang in there and even contend.

Kaner Coffee 02-26-2013 03:28 PM

Yeah because after Yzerman and Federov, the next name that immediately comes to mind is...OSGOOD

Syckle78 02-26-2013 03:30 PM

Yea the Devils are right up there, too. Who expected them to still be doing so well? Lou is an amazing guy. Just still don't understand why he didn't forfeit last year's pick.