HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Most Pointless Trophy in Sports? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1360919)

Syckle78 02-26-2013 03:08 PM

Most Pointless Trophy in Sports?
 
Which one do you find pointless?

It's pretty clear for me. I think it's the Presidents Trophy. It goes to the best team in the regular season. That's nice and all, but who cares?

No one is playing for the regular season. You see how the players care so little about the Campbell and Wales award at the end of the conference finals. So imagine how many ***** are not given about the Presidents Trophy.

There's no satisfaction from the Presidents Trophy. If you win it and go on to win the Cup then it's forgotten and becomes nothing more than a footnote. If you win it and lose is the playoffs it's a meaningless consolation price at best. At worst it's a reminder of how good your team played in the regular season before failing when it mattered.

Other trophies I find pointless:

Jennings trophy - goes to goalies for a team stat.

Plus/minus award - stupid stat. Do they even have that award anymore?

Gold Glove - defense award that more times than not goes to best hitter at each position.

medhatcanuck 02-26-2013 03:09 PM

Lady Bing. Sportsmanship is for panzies

Syckle78 02-26-2013 03:11 PM

Yeah that's another good one.

Sony Eriksson* 02-26-2013 03:12 PM

Tour de France trophy - They all are doping!

Kurdt Kobain 02-26-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syckle78 (Post 60516567)
Which one do you find pointless?

It's pretty clear for me. I think it's the Presidents Trophy. It goes to the best team in the regular season. That's nice and all, but who cares?

No one is playing for the regular season. You see how the players care so little about the Campbell and Wales award at the end of the conference finals. So imagine how many ***** are not given about the Presidents Trophy.

There's no satisfaction from the Presidents Trophy. If you win it and go on to win the Cup then it's forgotten and becomes nothing more than a footnote. If you win it and lose is the playoffs it's a meaningless consolation price at best. At worst it's a reminder of how good your team played in the regular season before failing when it mattered.

Other trophies I find pointless:

Jennings trophy - goes to goalies for a team stat.

Plus/minus award - stupid stat. Do they even have that award anymore?

Gold Glove - defense award that more times than not goes to best hitter at each position.

Yep, Bergeron won it last season with a +36

bdawg1989* 02-26-2013 03:13 PM

World Championship Medals.

Only international tourney that is worth something are the Olympics.

LolClarkson* 02-26-2013 03:14 PM

The Presidents trophy is only ever won by elite teams and or dynasty's so I think the OP is way off base here.

The PT separates the elite teams from the flash in the pan playoff teams.

TBIF 02-26-2013 03:17 PM

If the presidents trophy is pointless so are all of them until the Conn Smythe then right?

Oh cool, you lead the lead in scoring? To bad it was the regular season, what a waste.

Hnidy Hnight 02-26-2013 03:18 PM

Make it two votes for Lady Bing. Also not a big fan of sportsmanship

Syckle78 02-26-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldrunner (Post 60516997)
The Presidents trophy is only ever won by elite teams and or dynasty's so I think the OP is way off base here.

The PT separates the elite teams from the flash in the pan playoff teams.

I think you mean cups are won by elite teams.

serge2k 02-26-2013 03:22 PM

Mark messier leadership award.

Syckle78 02-26-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBIF (Post 60517159)
If the presidents trophy is pointless so are all of them until the Conn Smythe then right?

Oh cool, you lead the lead in scoring? To bad it was the regular season, what a waste.

Nah, not the same at all. Players careers are judged on regular season stars and trophies with a smaller consideration for playoff performance. Teams are judged on cups and playoff runs.

jrolley325 02-26-2013 03:24 PM

participation trophies for pee wees

ryedog* 02-26-2013 03:24 PM

PT for sure. No one remembers the PT winner, they remember the Cup champs.
For good reason.

Syckle78 02-26-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serge2k (Post 60517541)
Mark messier leadership award.

Yeah, that slipped my kind.

ScaredStreit 02-26-2013 03:26 PM

Selke. It's not the best defensive forward-it's usually for the forward who scored the most who's above average on D.

Syckle78 02-26-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScaredStreit (Post 60517825)
Selke. It's not the best defensive forward-it's usually for the forward who scored the most who's above average on D.

Yeah, most of the time. Problem is its hard for a forward who isn't very good on offense to get any attention.

Angelus 02-26-2013 03:36 PM

The Stanley Cup, natch.

Everyone know the President's Trophy is more coveted and harder to win.

Gentle Ben Kenobi 02-26-2013 03:40 PM

Lady Bing


People shouldn't be rewarded for being pansies

useless 02-26-2013 03:41 PM

Anything in any sport voted by media.

weaponomega 02-26-2013 03:45 PM

Another vote for Lady Bing.

Harold Snepsts 02-26-2013 03:46 PM

Presidents Trophy. Having the best record in the league is great because you have home ice through the playoffs. But you haven't really won anything yet.

plus/minus - I forgot this was even a trophy until someone posted it. Fairly useless stat. Fairly useless trophy. What's next, the second assist trophy?

Harold Snepsts 02-26-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScaredStreit (Post 60517825)
Selke. It's not the best defensive forward-it's usually for the forward who scored the most who's above average on D.

I think it's a good award, but it is a shame it's turned into that instead of the spirit with which it's created. The offensive guys get enough attention. Now this one has gone to them too.

And it looks like the Norris is headed the same way.

PRNuck 02-26-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serge2k (Post 60517541)
Mark messier leadership award.

Bah, beat me to it. I just hope some day they will also have a Jonathan Toews Intangibles award.

Ceremony 02-26-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdawg1989 (Post 60516943)
World Championship Medals.

Only international tourney that is worth something are the Olympics.

I'd love to see you say this to someone who's won the WC.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.