HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   AHL Whale re-up arena lease through 2016 (with two year option after that) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1360959)

LadyStanley 02-26-2013 05:13 PM

AHL Whale re-up arena lease through 2016 (with two year option after that)
 
http://theahl.com/whale-extend-deal-...center-p182124

Quote:

Connecticut Governor Dannel P. Malloy and Michael Freimuth, Executive Director of the Capital Region Development Authority (CRDA), today announced that a multi-year deal has been reached between Global Spectrum and Madison Square Garden (MSG) for the American Hockey League’s (AHL) Connecticut Whale to play at the XL Center in Hartford.
...
The contract calls for the team to play at the XL Center for the 2013-16 seasons, and includes a provision that could extend the term for an additional two years.

Mightygoose 02-26-2013 05:27 PM

Good to see they're staying put. Hope they change there name back to the Wolfpack...anything but the Whale

azaloum90 02-26-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mightygoose (Post 60521351)
Good to see they're staying put. Hope they change there name back to the Wolfpack...anything but the Whale

I actually kind of... don't... i hated it at first, but now im diggin it

JETZZZ 02-26-2013 07:17 PM

Any reason why they dont just call the team the Hartford Whalers?

Kebekoi 02-26-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JETZZZ (Post 60529011)
Any reason why they dont just call the team the Hartford Whalers?

NHL, Carolina or whoever have the Whalers trademarks to make Vintage gear.

jiggsawpuzzle35 02-26-2013 09:27 PM

Nothing against the people of New England, but it is a joke that there is 5 AHL teams within 2 hours of one another. I went to a Whales game last year and there were only 3,000 fans there and the atmosphere was that of a funeral home. I don't understand why there is a team in Springfield and Hartford. Providence and Bridgeport attract well but Connecticut, Springfield and Worcester are right there at the bottom of league attendance. I'm sure the league does this to cut cost down on travel, but you gotta start moving teams to the west like Las Vegas, Ontario CA, and San Diego. Your market is saturated with too many teams and that's why attendance sucks. My wife grew up going to a ton of Wolf Pack games but since she's moved out to California in 2002, she's only been to 1 or 2 Whale games since then when we visit her family. Again nothing against the hardcore fans, but teams like Connecticut, Worcester, and Springfield should move. It's also a joke the Connecticut Sun of the WNBA draw better. Has anyone actually been to Uncasville? That town is a dump and yet more people go there than Hartford.

CHRDANHUTCH 02-26-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiggsawpuzzle35 (Post 60545945)
Nothing against the people of New England, but it is a joke that there is 5 AHL teams within 2 hours of one another. I went to a Whales game last year and there were only 3,000 fans there and the atmosphere was that of a funeral home. I don't understand why there is a team in Springfield and Hartford. Providence and Bridgeport attract well but Connecticut, Springfield and Worcester are right there at the bottom of league attendance. I'm sure the league does this to cut cost down on travel, but you gotta start moving teams to the west like Las Vegas, Ontario CA, and San Diego. Your market is saturated with too many teams and that's why attendance sucks. My wife grew up going to a ton of Wolf Pack games but since she's moved out to California in 2002, she's only been to 1 or 2 Whale games since then when we visit her family. Again nothing against the hardcore fans, but teams like Connecticut, Worcester, and Springfield should move. It's also a joke the Connecticut Sun of the WNBA draw better. Has anyone actually been to Uncasville? That town is a dump and yet more people go there than Hartford.

THAT was all Baldwin, jiggsaw, now you know why Pittsburgh declared bankruptcy because of him, the reason you're not seeing LV, Ontario, or San Diego is none of the 5 AHL Teams that are 2 hours apart are privately owned, if not, they are tied to the close proximity of the other teams... besides isn't Ontario owned by the same group who operates Manchester, Worcester lost theirs because the Blues bought the Ice Cats and wanted the franchise in Peoria, same thing as to why Boston pulled their affiliate to Providence, yet Portland survives, and that was one reason why Worcester got the Sharks because all 3 CA teams existed in NE(Anaheim was in POR, then)....

you forget the WNBA Sun, were originally part of the Devos empire in Orlando, the same entity that operates Grand Rapids through its AMWAY business, hence why the Orlando arena has that title sponsor, (as the Miracle), that NBA Owned model worked originally for the WNBA, BUT it eventually cost them Houston, Sacramento, Cleveland, etc. because it became infeasible to sustain the operation.... that's why the Monarchs were shut down in Sacramento, and likely why the Kings are in transition to Seattle.

San Diego has already stated the group who operates that arena after the Gulls were locked out of the SDSA, THAT they wanted nothing more to do w/ hockey, which has become sadly, a theme for troubled cities, who have been burned multiple times by ownership among other issues.

CTHabsfan 03-02-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiggsawpuzzle35 (Post 60545945)
. It's also a joke the Connecticut Sun of the WNBA draw better. Has anyone actually been to Uncasville? That town is a dump and yet more people go there than Hartford.

Have you been to the Mohegan Sun casino (where the Sun play)? It is most certainly not a dump and it is easily the biggest reason why anyone from outside of the town travels to Uncasville.

azaloum90 03-18-2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTHabsfan (Post 60795693)
Have you been to the Mohegan Sun casino (where the Sun play)? It is most certainly not a dump and it is easily the biggest reason why anyone from outside of the town travels to Uncasville.

I can tell you that Foxwoods casino and its location is a total ****hole

jiggsawpuzzle35 03-18-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTHabsfan (Post 60795693)
Have you been to the Mohegan Sun casino (where the Sun play)? It is most certainly not a dump and it is easily the biggest reason why anyone from outside of the town travels to Uncasville.

Um I know the casino is nice. I'm talking about the area it's in. My in laws live 20 minutes away. Southeast Connecticut is a dump except for certain areas like Mystic.

CTHabsfan 03-18-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiggsawpuzzle35 (Post 61884305)
Um I know the casino is nice. I'm talking about the area it's in. My in laws live 20 minutes away. Southeast Connecticut is a dump except for certain areas like Mystic.

If you know that the casino is nice, what's your point? NOBODY goes to an event at the Mohegan Sun, then ventures out into Uncasville, they just do something else at the casino, or go home. If you are familiar with the area where the casino is located, then you should also be aware that it is not even necessary for visitors to travel through Uncasville to get to the casino.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.