HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Deryk Engelland (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1360963)

Bronn 02-26-2013 04:24 PM

Deryk Engelland

Just wanted to know if

1) He could be available
2) What kind of return would the Pens expect for him ?

Not going to make any proposition myself but i just want to gauge the value of a guy like this.

Bennett Brauer 02-26-2013 04:26 PM

I wouldn't say he's not available, with Bortuzzo here, he could be traded.

I don't really know what his value is.

AmericanRocket91 02-26-2013 04:35 PM

Keep him. He's one of your team's spark plugs. His ability to fight and protect your star players is something that shouldn't be overlooked either.

rmartin65 02-26-2013 04:37 PM

Not available, and thus, it is difficult to gauge his value.

He is on a nice contract, and fills a role that would be empty if he was not on the roster.

TorstenFrings 02-26-2013 04:39 PM

I don't think his value is high enough to make moving him worthwhile. He is a really cheap realiable bottom pairing guy and we are not getting a piece that improves the team or a pick that is very likely to improve the team for him, so at least within the season, probably not available.

Captain Hook 02-26-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kratzbuerste (Post 60521931)
I don't think his value is high enough to make moving him worthwhile. He is a really cheap realiable bottom pairing guy and we are not getting a piece that improves the team or a pick that is very likely to improve the team for him, so at least within the season, probably not available.

This.

He's worth more to us than he is in trade. He won't be moved for that reason.

Big McLargehuge 02-26-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kratzbuerste (Post 60521931)

This.

I don't know what his value is, but it's hard to imagine it would be enough to warrant trading him.

Moskau 02-26-2013 05:30 PM

Hold onto him until Brian Burke is a GM again. 2nd rounder right there.

nmbr_24 02-26-2013 06:15 PM

I can't imagine that they would get back a player they need as much as they need Engelland unless the Penguins are adding to this deal.

SEALBound 02-26-2013 06:51 PM

Solid dman on a sweet contract. Fighter and at times a potential top 4 stop gap.

He's worth more to the Pens than his market value.

SteelFish87* 02-26-2013 09:13 PM

Not available unless for overpayment. He is tough as nails and is on dirt cheap contract

drizzydrew22* 02-26-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying Knee (Post 60521173)
Just wanted to know if

1) He could be available

Not going to make any proposition myself but i just want to gauge the value of a guy like this.

the only way he would be traded is if they get and even better defender back, the pens have a weak bottom pairing and he also mans the toughness stage for them like it was said before hes worth more to the pens than his value.

jumptheshark 02-26-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying Knee (Post 60521173)
Just wanted to know if

1) He could be available

based purely upon stats

30 year old D-man on a deep team who is playing between 10 to 13 minutes a game?

do not see him getting much back for the pens

gdsmack267 02-27-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumptheshark (Post 60556637)
based purely upon stats

30 year old D-man on a deep team who is playing between 10 to 13 minutes a game?

do not see him getting much back for the pens

If Lovejoy got us a 5th Engelland will get a 3rd at least.

vecens24 02-27-2013 10:20 AM

Yeah biggest thing with Engo is that he's so valuable to this team because he's an enforcer that can actually play hockey as a legit #5 D-Man. He's super cheap too. I don't think he'd be traded by himself, but if there's a "hockey trade" that comes along and someone needs a good sweetener to make a deal, he could be that guy.

I honestly have no idea why his value is by itself though.

BigG44 02-27-2013 10:39 AM

What about Brenden Morrow?

He's not ideal, but the local beat reporter Heika and some in the national media have speculated he's available now that Cole was added. Dallas likely will look to address D next since GM Joe said they were still looking to potentially make moves.

Morrow, honestly to everyone's surprise, has been effective with Benn and Jagr, and he's scoring goals on that line. He's not likely going to push out Jagr, Eriksson, Whitney, or Cole from the Top 6, and Dallas has plenty of Top 6 depth in the AHL.

Engelland is a very good player for Pittsburgh, but he's also a guy only playing 13 minutes a night. You guys have younger guys with more potential that can replace him, and Morrow very well could provide some offense from the wing on a line with Crosby. Like I said, he's doing it in Dallas with Benn.

khaoskennedy 02-27-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigG44 (Post 60578379)

He's not ideal, but the local beat reporter Heika and some in the national media have speculated he's available now that Cole was added. Dallas likely will look to address D next since GM Joe said they were still looking to potentially make moves.

Morrow, honestly to everyone's surprise, has been effective with Benn and Jagr, and he's scoring goals on that line. He's not likely going to push out Jagr, Eriksson, Whitney, or Cole from the Top 6, and Dallas has plenty of Top 6 depth in the AHL.

Engelland is a very good player for Pittsburgh, but he's also a guy only playing 13 minutes a night. You guys have younger guys with more potential that can replace him, and Morrow very well could provide some offense from the wing on a line with Crosby. Like I said, he's doing it in Dallas with Benn.

Not the worst idea, still not sure id do it but its not a bad deal for the pens
Despres Bortuzzo both deserve to be playing every game, so they can be the bottom pair, with Eaton as 7th and plenty of Dmen in WBS.

Mo Wanchuk 02-27-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

I would entertain this offer. The only issue is that we would lose a sandpaper guy who can fight and stick up for his teammates.

PensFan68 02-27-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Interesting proposal. Would the Stars want more for a good vet? The Pens would be gaining one need (a physical top 6 forward) but losing what I feel is something we're missing (physical defensive dman). Engo is good in his role and on a great contract.

I'd try to get Morrow for something else, but if JN demanded Engo I'd really have to think about it. I think if we did it, we'd have to go out and get someone to replace him (O'byrne comes to mind who I'd like to see here anyway).

Bennett Brauer 02-27-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khaoskennedy (Post 60580053)
Not the worst idea, still not sure id do it but its not a bad deal for the pens
Despres Bortuzzo both deserve to be playing every game, so they can be the bottom pair, with Eaton as 7th and plenty of Dmen in WBS.

That role could be given to Bortuzzo...and we have Ruopp and Seymour in the prospect pool, similar players to Engelland.

BigG44 02-27-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PensFan68 (Post 60580715)
Interesting proposal. Would the Stars want more for a good vet? The Pens would be gaining one need (a physical top 6 forward) but losing what I feel is something we're missing (physical defensive dman). Engo is good in his role and on a great contract.

I'd try to get Morrow for something else, but if JN demanded Engo I'd really have to think about it. I think if we did it, we'd have to go out and get someone to replace him (O'byrne comes to mind who I'd like to see here anyway).

Dallas would probably consider giving more for a guy with longer term or a bigger role. I'm assuming you're referring to Orpik since Martin has looked so good. I don't think they'd offer much more (Dallas still has two more 3rd round picks), but Engo is the type of a guy I think they'd prefer.

I think they're happy with Robidas, Daley, and Dillon. They like Rome, but he's out for 3 to 6 weeks. The rest of the D are greatly inconsistent, but Goligoski is much better lately ... still not where he was though.

Morrow seems to be the obvious guy to move, but it's hard to find a place that makes sense for him to waive his NTC. The Pens are a no-brianer. The other problem is it would probably need to be for D help now which is also why the Pens make some since.

New Jersey could work, but I'd be disappointed in a return of Tallinder.

billybudd 02-27-2013 11:48 AM

Tough to say. I don't think he's played particularly well this season and it could be argued that Robert Bortuzzo makes him expendable. But at the same time, he's a big, physical, 15 minute per night guy who doubles as an enforcer and makes absolutely nothing.

I don't know if the Penguins would be actively looking to dump him (ex Lovejoy), but I'm sure he could be had for enough return.

What that return would need to be, I have no idea. 500k D who fight like enforcers and play a regular shift are pretty scarce and most teams could use one...but I can't remember a guy like that getting any sort of return in a trade.

PensFan68 02-27-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigG44 (Post 60581277)
Dallas would probably consider giving more for a guy with longer term or a bigger role. I'm assuming you're referring to Orpik since Martin has looked so good. I don't think they'd offer much more (Dallas still has two more 3rd round picks), but Engo is the type of a guy I think they'd prefer.

I was saying that I would think Dallas would want more than Engo for Morrow. As much as I still don't know if I'd want to move Engo (just because of his role), I would think the Stars could get more for Morrow than a 5th D, but I really can't judge player value at all.

BigG44 02-27-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PensFan68 (Post 60582345)
I was saying that I would think Dallas would want more than Engo for Morrow. As much as I still don't know if I'd want to move Engo (just because of his role), I would think the Stars could get more for Morrow than a 5th D, but I really can't judge player value at all.

I think his NTC will restrict movement to only a few teams and lower his value. I'd love to say they can a nice piece, but it's hard to see that happening.

BigG44 02-27-2013 02:04 PM

Would Pittsburgh rather trade Engelland or Bortuzzo?

Could Dallas get Bortuzzo for Morrow?