HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Ottawa Fury FC (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1361077)

trobby 02-26-2013 07:04 PM

Ottawa Fury FC

And the new Football/Soccer team (logo forthcoming):

http://ottawafuryfc.com/

Artanis 02-26-2013 07:06 PM

Not a big fan of soccer:shakehead

Vaclav Varada 02-26-2013 07:06 PM

'Fury' is a pretty common name isn't it? What's with most soccer teams and lacking originality when naming the team?

Inf4mous0ne 02-26-2013 07:10 PM

Cool :)

littleD 02-26-2013 07:19 PM

This was hardly a groundbreaking name announcement. I think anyone interested knew Fury was going to be at the top of the list when the OSEG guys brought John Pugh for the NASL bid.

george8it 02-26-2013 08:33 PM

Something to cheer for in the summer months. And the best thing about it, is that this team never has to play a team from Toronto or Montreal.

mikachu 02-26-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by george8it (Post 60546815)
Something to cheer for in the summer months. And the best thing about it, is that this team never has to play a team from Toronto or Montreal.

Pretty sure the plan is to make it into the MLS one day so we'd have to play against them. TFC has been a bunch of suck since they've come into the league but I've gone to a few games and the atmosphere is pretty awesome.

QuietOnTheFront 02-26-2013 10:47 PM

Congrats. I'm a Vancouver Whitecaps season ticket holder, although NASL is a few steps down from MLS quality, semi-professional soccer games are always good times. I actually played briefly in the Whitecaps youth system (when they were the "86ers") and my sister dressed a few times for the women's team, so I had season tickets when they were in USL (NASL equivalent) and those games were great. As long as you have a decent product and passionate fans, the environment within your stadium should thrive.

KarlSen 02-26-2013 10:50 PM

Smart to go with a known local name, that isn't stupid, and has great goodwill attached to it.

Buckleys 02-26-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikachu (Post 60558919)
Pretty sure the plan is to make it into the MLS one day so we'd have to play against them. TFC has been a bunch of suck since they've come into the league but I've gone to a few games and the atmosphere is pretty awesome.

I agree with this. I think Ottawa could be an incredibly profitable market, I would go crazy if we got MLS here.

salomonster 02-27-2013 12:13 AM

Not my cup of tea but I can appreciate the Fury heritage by the local soccer community. I'm happy to see that OSEG is doing it right.

Hopefully the CFL team can get it right as well.

Rumcajs 02-27-2013 01:27 AM

Meh name.

Ottawa actually will have a chance to compete against Toronto and Montreal.

Every year there is a Canadian championship to determine who will play in the Canadian slot for the CONCACAF Champions League. However I doubt they beat my Impact :yo:

george8it 02-27-2013 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumcajs (Post 60568389)
Meh name.

Every year there is a Canadian championship to determine who will play in the Canadian slot for the CONCACAF Champions League. However I doubt they beat my Impact :yo:

And so it begins......:shakehead

Legend Killer 02-27-2013 06:21 AM

Anyone hear the "Oooh Ah Ottawa" chant at the name unveil?

Modelled after the Silf chant... Was that originally a soccer chant?

NyQuil 02-27-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumcajs (Post 60568389)
Meh name.

Impact is a terrible name.

newtron 02-27-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legend Killer (Post 60570909)

I'm actually looking forward to seeing a few games. I know it's not at the same level as MLS, but the atmosphere could be close. The Toronto FC game I went to last year was tons of fun.

The "Ooh Ahhh Ottawa" chant is good.... It would be pretty cool to get a similar, "Ooh Ahhh Fury-us" chant going at games.:dunno:

Upgrayedd 02-27-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legend Killer (Post 60570909)

Not sure of the exact origin, however most north american sporting traditions stem from Europe and specifically futbol, i have heard this chant in the champions league. Obvious choice is obvious and the right one, looking forward to it!

Jerk Store* 02-27-2013 08:25 AM

They made the right choice. They've been building that brand for a number of years, quite successfully, so I applaud them for sticking with it :handclap:

Upgrayedd 02-27-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerk Store (Post 60573351)
They made the right choice. They've been building that brand for a number of years, quite successfully, so I applaud them for sticking with it :handclap:

Epic Avatar JS, looking forward to the return of GOB and Franklin this spring!

Jerk Store* 02-27-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upgrayedd (Post 60573573)
Epic Avatar JS, looking forward to the return of GOB and Franklin this spring!

A magician named GOB. It's gonna be epic!

coladin 02-27-2013 01:10 PM

Better than Tomahawk...

I am a soccer fan so I will check it out. Especially at such a nice park.

Wham City 02-27-2013 01:30 PM

Rage FC or Angry FC would have been way better

Rumcajs 02-27-2013 01:41 PM

AC Ottawa or Ottawa City to make it more euro :naughty:

For those who are not aware of the NASL there is another Canadian team in Edmonton FC.

LadyM 02-27-2013 08:09 PM

I like the name, it's already known in Ottawa so it's smart to just go with it for the new NASL team.

Looking forward to going to a few games!

God Says No 02-27-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikachu (Post 60558919)

yip. if you look back historically the nasl has just been a step en route to the mls.