HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Entertainment (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Music: Stone Temple Pilots fire Lead Singer Scott Weiland or maybe they didn't (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1361805)

Lost Horizons 02-27-2013 02:51 PM

Stone Temple Pilots fire Lead Singer Scott Weiland or maybe they didn't

Stone Temple Pilots fire Lead Singer Scott Weiland

Quote:

Stone Temple Pilots has unceremoniously FIRED its lead singer Scott Weiland ... who's been the face of the seminal rock band for more than 20 years.

The group released an ominously curt statement today, saying, "Stone Temple Pilots have announced they have officially terminated Scott Weiland." They don't give any further explanation.

It's pretty shocking for several reasons ... the main being Weiland has been a core member of the group since it came together in 1986. His voice has become synonymous with STP's sound ... on hits like "Plush," "Sour Girl," and "Sex Type Thing."

Another reason this came out of nowhere ... Weiland denied rumors he was leaving the band just yesterday, telling Rolling Stone, "STP has not broken up. I haven't quit. I haven't been fired."

Rumors of a split began a couple of months ago when Slash said STP had fired Weiland.

STP reformed in 2008 after a 5-year hiatus and toured through last year -- but apparently it hasn't been working out.

So far, it's unclear who STP has in mind to replace Weiland ... if anyone.

Weiland is set to launch a solo tour next month.

Lost Horizons 02-27-2013 02:51 PM

Scott Weiland to STP You CAN'T Fire Me IT'S MY BAND!!!

Quote:

Stone Temple Pilots front man Scott Weiland says he had NO IDEA his band was planning to fire him today ... but according to Scott, it doesn't matter ... because he can't be fired from a group HE created.

Scott just released a statement in response to STP's press release this morning -- in which the band claims they "officially terminated" Weiland from the group.

Scott said, "I learned of my supposed 'termination' from Stone Temple Pilots this morning by reading about it in the press."

He added, "Not sure how I can be 'terminated' from a band that I founded, fronted, and co-wrote many of its biggest hits, but thatís something for the lawyers to figure out."

***** just got real.

Teemu 02-27-2013 02:51 PM

That or they killed him, by the sound of the press release

Fish on The Sand 02-27-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teemu (Post 60592163)

terminated him...from life

M Moulson Ale 02-27-2013 02:55 PM

And the rollercoaster ride for Scott Weiland continues...

Kurdt Kobain 02-27-2013 03:04 PM

It's been done before....

yotesreign 02-27-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rey72335 (Post 60592845)
It's been done before....

I like that movie.

STP was really on my radar about 20+ years ago.

Since then I've been more a fan of Filter & Army of One, and to a lesser extent Velvet Revolver...

Better Call Saul 02-27-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teemu (Post 60592163)

He's not dead and he's not for sale.

Free Torts 02-27-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Better Call Saul (Post 60595373)
He's not dead and he's not for sale.

Well, the first part is true, but I doubt the second very much now that he's unemployed.

WhipNash27 02-27-2013 04:31 PM

I love STP, but they haven't put out anything decent since the 90s.

Brodeur 02-27-2013 04:38 PM

When I first saw the link title, my brain read it as "Celebrity Death: STP Lead Singer Scott Weiland".

Given the number of hiatuses that the band has taken from Weiland, I guess I was surprised that they would need to officially fire him. It's too bad, I still haven't gotten to see them perform live. Missed them a couple years ago on my birthday and missed them again this past summer (didn't particularly like the set list from recent shows).

skymachine 02-27-2013 09:32 PM

Isn't this like the 3rd time that the Deleo bros and the drummer have separated from Scott?

ProstheticConscience 02-27-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeHat (Post 60622465)
Isn't this like the 3rd time that the Deleo bros and the drummer have separated from Scott?

Something like that. I first thought this thread was a bump from ten years ago or something at first glance. Poor Scott. Fired from another band.

Don't do drugs, kids.

TheAntiPrice 02-28-2013 12:10 AM

Velvet Revolver has been pretty underwhelming for a supergroup...but I guess most supergroups turn out that way (hello Audioslave).

ProstheticConscience 02-28-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAntiPrice (Post 60634513)
Velvet Revolver has been pretty underwhelming for a supergroup...but I guess most supergroups turn out that way (hello Audioslave).

Velvet Revolver sounded just like a combination of STP and G'n'R, while Audioslave sounded just like a combination of RAtM and Soundgarden. Bizarre revelation I know, seeing as how that's exactly what they were.

Liked both "supergroups", but not as much as any of the four bands they drew their members from.

TTOMO 02-28-2013 01:01 AM

I saw them in 2000 and 2008, so I'm good. They've done as much as they can possibly do as a band. I didn't bother with their last album.

Takeo 02-28-2013 06:42 AM

I saw them last summer. Great show. I walked out assuming it was the last time I'd see them live.

Izzy 02-28-2013 06:45 AM

Will eventually result in Velvet Revolver

Nalyd Psycho 02-28-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodeur (Post 60598249)
When I first saw the link title, my brain read it as "Celebrity Death: STP Lead Singer Scott Weiland".

Given the number of hiatuses that the band has taken from Weiland, I guess I was surprised that they would need to officially fire him. It's too bad, I still haven't gotten to see them perform live. Missed them a couple years ago on my birthday and missed them again this past summer (didn't particularly like the set list from recent shows).

I'm surprised he's still alive.

Fayne Staley 02-28-2013 04:04 PM

I saw them in NJ 5 years ago and the band came on stage 2 hours late.
I thought there was going to be a riot. When they emerged Weiland was slurring his words.

The Deleo bros can do whatever they want, it won't work. Talk Show was awful, and Army of Anyone was a one off deal that cancelled tour dates.

Weiland has his issues and it will always be like that. The others guys are not saints either, and I think that always pissed Scott off. He was constantly getting blamed for everything, meanwhile Robert was a heavy heroin user. These guys just can't get along and what made them great is long gone.

PolishBingo 02-28-2013 08:47 PM

Saw them in 93, open for the Butthole Surfers at the Roseland Ballroom, NYC.

Lost Horizons 02-28-2013 10:44 PM

Scott Weiland
STP Lied About Firing Me To Boost Ticket Sales

Quote:

Stone Temple Pilots LIED about firing singer Scott Weiland as a publicity stunt ... in order to hype an upcoming concert tour ... so says Weiland, who insists the band is still 100% together.

Weiland said, "STP is not broken up. It's a whole thing to try to boost ticket sales."

But the way Weiland explains it sounds like he and the rest of STP don't really communicate ... and they used the Weiland "firing" to boost ticket sales for a tour they were organizing WITHOUT him.

Which begs the question ... why is Scott so sure he's not out of the band? He says it's because there's a clause in the band's contract that forbids the members from using the name STP on another group. In other words, if Scott's out ... STP ceases to exist.

Ultimately, Weiland says he has no idea what the other guys were thinking -- but when asked if he's still leading the band, he replied smugly, "I started it."

ProstheticConscience 03-01-2013 12:50 AM

Welp, this is officially sad.

I think I'll put Core on my MP3 player and remember when STP wasn't a joke.

kingsholygrail 03-01-2013 01:21 AM

This **** is bananas.

MetalheadPenguinsFan 03-01-2013 02:18 AM

Interesting.

To be honest, I thought Weiland had been dead for a few years.