HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Rookie of the year. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=136218)

TrueBlue 03-26-2005 07:08 AM

Rookie of the year.
 
It's ironic that the last time we produced a rookie of the year, is also roughly the last time we won a cup.

It's sad to say that the last time we had one was in 1966, Brit Selby. That's 39 years ago!

I feel we are in another chapter as far as drafting goes with the Leafs. We have JFJ and the book is yet to be written on him.

Having said that, which one of our current prospects do you guys consider as having the best chance at becoming rookie of the year in the next 3 to 4 years.
I believe JFJ deserves about 4 years to come up with something.

Steen looks like a remarkable player with great skills. I think Carlo is too injury proned so I know he won't play a full season in his rookie year thereby eliminating his chances.
White also has the potential but only if his coach puts faith in him and gives him ice time.

But if I was a betting man, I would put my money on Steen.

-PrO-B1- 03-26-2005 07:28 AM

Draft Crosby let him play 2nd line center and 2nd PP unit. Crosby would win rookie of the year honors by 41 points (my guess)

TrueBlue 03-26-2005 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -PrO-B1-
Draft Crosby let him play 2nd line center and 2nd PP unit. Crosby would win rookie of the year honors by 41 points (my guess)


All that sounds good, but you know stuff like that just doesn't happen to the Leafs.

And I'm afraid it still going to get worse before it gets better.

The NHL cancelled this year's draft, this doesn't bode well with the Leafs.
It's safe to say that those players that were eligible this year will be available next year. That means 60 first rounder type material!! Guess what? Our only chance to draft a first rounder in a long time and we have to give him up too as part of the Leetch deal!

Imagine all the teams are going to be having a hayday next year and we have to miss out on the possibly the best draft ever!! The most loyal and dedicated fans and this is what we have to put up with.

All in all, I'm not surprised. Only Leafs would find a way to put themselves in this position. Draft Smaft.

Pinto 03-26-2005 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue
All that sounds good, but you know stuff like that just doesn't happen to the Leafs.

And I'm afraid it still going to get worse before it gets better.

The NHL cancelled this year's draft, this doesn't bode well with the Leafs.
It's safe to say that those players that were eligible this year will be available next year. That means 60 first rounder type material!! Guess what? Our only chance to draft a first rounder in a long time and we have to give him up too as part of the Leetch deal!

Imagine all the teams are going to be having a hayday next year and we have to miss out on the possibly the best draft ever!! The most loyal and dedicated fans and this is what we have to put up with.

All in all, I'm not surprised. Only Leafs would find a way to put themselves in this position. Draft Smaft.

We DO have our first rounder. We gave up LAST years first in the Leetch deal, and this years second

ULF_55 03-26-2005 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue
All in all, I'm not surprised. Only Leafs would find a way to put themselves in this position. Draft Smaft.

With a completely random draft anyone could get Crosby even the Bolts.

TrueBlue 03-26-2005 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXxPINTOxXx
We DO have our first rounder. We gave up LAST years first in the Leetch deal, and this years second


By golly, you are correct as always. That's great news that we have a first rounder to look forward to. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we don't give him away.

So if the draft wasn't cancelled, we would have a first rounder this year?

TrueBlue 03-26-2005 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ULF_55
With a completely random draft anyone could get Crosby even the Bolts.


I like the thought of that. And maybe after 40 years we could use a bit of luck.

ULF_55 03-26-2005 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue
I like the thought of that. And maybe after 40 years we could use a bit of luck.

Any luck the Leafs have had the past 40 years has been balanced by stupid management.

Who'd we get for Rick Kehoe, Randy Carlyle? They'd have looked pretty good with Sittler and McDonald.

Mess 03-26-2005 09:53 AM

The one player currently in the leafs prospect system that has the best chance of winning the Calder Trophy as best NHL rookie is .....

Kyle Wellwood

but he has to fight through the Stereotypes that he has at all other levels and put up points given the chance in the NHL, he has the offensive skill to compete for it though. He is high risk and High reward kind of little guy. Give him the right linemates and ice time and the opportunity and my money would be on him, as our current prospects ..

Steen and Carlo are safer NHLers but safe and playing in the NHL does not make you Rookie of the year. Steen if he plays on Mats wing his first season that could certainly increase his chances but not likely to happen ..

Its also about timing .. Doesn't matter how good the Leaf prospect is .. The other players in the NHL on other teams have that same opportunity ..

If the leafs don't get Crosby ...one of the 29 other NHL teams will and HE is Likely the Rookie that season .. Just like its very likely that the 2 big Russians Ovechkin and Malkin are also very likely to be strong candidates when they arrive ..

So its not really fair to the Leaf prospects no matter how good they are, and personally if the leafs can continue to produce NHLers that have Matty Stajan type success that is fine with me .. Until they Leafs draft early and Snag one of these FRANCHISE players, the Calder is likely not within reach ..

but that is not always a bad thing .. the goal is to win the Stanley Cup and not the Calder Trophy so if the Leafs are winning the first the second doesn't matter ..

ULF_55 03-26-2005 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Messenger
The one player currently in the leafs prospect system that has the best chance of winning the Calder Trophy as best NHL rookie is .....

Kyle Wellwood

but he has to fight through the Stereotypes that he has at all other levels and put up points given the chance in the NHL, he has the offensive skill to compete for it though. He is high risk and High reward kind of little guy. Give him the right linemates and ice time and the opportunity and my money would be on him, as our current prospects ..

Steen and Carlo are safer NHLers but safe and playing in the NHL does not make you Rookie of the year. Steen if he plays on Mats wing his first season that could certainly increase his chances but not likely to happen ..

Its also about timing .. Doesn't matter how good the Leaf prospect is .. The other players in the NHL on other teams have that same opportunity ..

If the leafs don't get Crosby ...one of the 29 other NHL teams will and HE is Likely the Rookie that season .. Just like its very likely that the 2 big Russians Ovechkin and Malkin are also very likely to be strong candidates when they arrive ..

So its not really fair to the Leaf prospects no matter how good they are, and personally if the leafs can continue to produce NHLers that have Matty Stajan type success that is fine with me .. Until they Leafs draft early and Snag one of these FRANCHISE players, the Calder is likely not within reach ..

but that is not always a bad thing .. the goal is to win the Stanley Cup and not the Calder Trophy so if the Leafs are winning the first the second doesn't matter ..

Defense wins.

Lada defense lead by:

22 year old Kondratiev
21 year old Semenov
19 year old Vorobiev

amongst others.

Maybe Vorobiev is another who'd be a potential ROTY, but defenders are going to have a hard time knocking off the offensive whiz kids.

Pulfy14 03-26-2005 10:05 AM

I probably say our best bet would be: Vorobiev,Steen,and Colaiacovo(If healthy)

TrueBlue 03-26-2005 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Messenger
The one player currently in the leafs prospect system that has the best chance of winning the Calder Trophy as best NHL rookie is .....

Kyle Wellwood

but he has to fight through the Stereotypes that he has at all other levels and put up points given the chance in the NHL, he has the offensive skill to compete for it though. He is high risk and High reward kind of little guy. Give him the right linemates and ice time and the opportunity and my money would be on him, as our current prospects ..

Steen and Carlo are safer NHLers but safe and playing in the NHL does not make you Rookie of the year. Steen if he plays on Mats wing his first season that could certainly increase his chances but not likely to happen ..

Its also about timing .. Doesn't matter how good the Leaf prospect is .. The other players in the NHL on other teams have that same opportunity ..

If the leafs don't get Crosby ...one of the 29 other NHL teams will and HE is Likely the Rookie that season .. Just like its very likely that the 2 big Russians Ovechkin and Malkin are also very likely to be strong candidates when they arrive ..

So its not really fair to the Leaf prospects no matter how good they are, and personally if the leafs can continue to produce NHLers that have Matty Stajan type success that is fine with me .. Until they Leafs draft early and Snag one of these FRANCHISE players, the Calder is likely not within reach ..

but that is not always a bad thing .. the goal is to win the Stanley Cup and not the Calder Trophy so if the Leafs are winning the first the second doesn't matter ..

That is true. Edmonton never won a rookie of the year yet they won many cups.
And yeah, that timing you talk about is everything in sports.

TrueBlue 03-26-2005 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ULF_55
Defense wins.

Lada defense lead by:

22 year old Kondratiev
21 year old Semenov
19 year old Vorobiev

amongst others.

Maybe Vorobiev is another who'd be a potential ROTY, but defenders are going to have a hard time knocking off the offensive whiz kids.


Even if somebody was nominated would be good enough for Leaf fans.
It would allow us to put faith in our scouting systems...for a change.

TrueBlue 03-26-2005 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leafs_fan1001
I probably say our best bet would be: Vorobiev,Steen,and Colaiacovo(If healthy)


Going on with what Messenger said, I'm afraid Steen will be up against some stiff competition with the likes of Ovechkin and Malkin. But then again if his team makes the playoffs and Ovechkin's doesn't, he might get the nod that way. I certainly hope so.

Isn't one of the stipulations to win rookie of the year is to have your team make the playoffs?

ULF_55 03-26-2005 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue
Going on with what Messenger said, I'm afraid Steen will be up against some stiff competition with the likes of Ovechkin and Malkin. But then again if his team makes the playoffs and Ovechkin's doesn't, he might get the nod that way. I certainly hope so.

Isn't one of the stipulations to win rookie of the year is to have your team make the playoffs?

Making the playoffs doesn't enter into the equation.

With Ovechkin, Malkin and Crosby entering the NHL at the same time, any hope for other teams Calders will be in net or on defense.

TrueBlue 03-26-2005 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ULF_55
Any luck the Leafs have had the past 40 years has been balanced by stupid management.

Who'd we get for Rick Kehoe, Randy Carlyle? They'd have looked pretty good with Sittler and McDonald.


This sounds a little far-fetched but there was a time where I actually believed that the Leafs were intentionally screwing up their drafts and trades.

Don't ask my why but they left me with no choice.

My faith has only been restored about 5 years ago and even that hasn't been too great.

AlienWorkShop 03-26-2005 10:25 AM

I think if Coloiocavo plays a full season in his first year, it would do two things: a. make everyone forget he's injury prone and b. give him a shot at the calder.

Though if he doesn't play a full season because of injuries, both of those won't come true.

Steen would depend on linemates because I believe his offense would slowly develop in the NHL personally. Wellwood would need the right line combination, he may be tough, but you do need some size to make room for him.

Otherwise, I can't see any of our lesser prospects making a serious run at the Calder since most of the time the winner is someone you'd expect to win and the Leafs aren't known for giving rookies big minutes.

BuppY 03-26-2005 10:26 AM

Wellwood give him 2nd line minutes and pp time Im sure he'll produce. IF Kyle keeps on developing and becoming a much better player he will no doubt have the best chance of winning out of all the Leaf prospects, he has the most offensive skills out of the group and if can adapt to the NHL game and have success there he's going to put up good numbers. ANother thing if NHL is serious about making the game better and less clutch and Grab that will work into Wellwoods favour and give him that extra time to do something special.

BuppY 03-26-2005 10:28 AM

I don't know about Carlo when he does play I doubt he'll be on the first PP unit and therefore won't see much ice time on the power play and also will be on the third pairing. That is unless Leafs let Leetch go and Carlo jumps straight into the top 4.

ULF_55 03-26-2005 10:36 AM

Hmmm, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin making 850K in the NHL, or would they opt to go the the RSL and make double that?

Maybe the Calder will be an open race.

Mess 03-26-2005 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ULF_55
Hmmm, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin making 850K in the NHL, or would they opt to go the the RSL and make double that?

Maybe the Calder will be an open race.

I am waiting for the day that this happens that Bettman's NHL is so restrictive that Europe is a better Financial option for some ..

RSL pays and will pay Ovechkin 2 mil a season to stay at home .. and the NHL is dangling a 4 year entry level contract in his face at 850k to lure him away from his own country ... Kovalchuk made 3 mil this year in RSL .. He made 1.25 mil/per for his first 3 years in the NHL ..

Ulf you are right .. We have to think even further outside the box then normal in these matters ..

mooseOAK* 03-26-2005 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue
Going on with what Messenger said, I'm afraid Steen will be up against some stiff competition with the likes of Ovechkin and Malkin. But then again if his team makes the playoffs and Ovechkin's doesn't, he might get the nod that way. I certainly hope so.

Isn't one of the stipulations to win rookie of the year is to have your team make the playoffs?

No, a rookie actually has a better chance for ROTY on a bad team because he will get more ice time and have better statistics.

Porn* 03-26-2005 10:52 AM

My vote would have to be Wellwood... or Steen.

I find it too rare for dmen to win roy... but ya never know.

ULF_55 03-26-2005 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Messenger
I am waiting for the day that this happens that Bettman's NHL is so restrictive that Europe is a better Financial option for some ..

RSL pays and will pay Ovechkin 2 mil a season to stay at home .. and the NHL is dangling a 4 year entry level contract in his face at 850k to lure him away from his own country ... Kovalchuk made 3 mil this year in RSL .. He made 1.25 mil/per for his first 3 years in the NHL ..

Ulf you are right .. We have to think even further outside the box then normal in these matters ..

This is especially true under the pro-owners scenario, as the revenue shrinks and shrinks in the NHL, the strength of the RSL grows.

The great business minds at some sites are suggesting a cap as low as 30 million, and that being the case, the NHL ceases to become the destination of choice for the worlds best European players.

Bettman will continue to be the leader of the best domestic league in NA.

TrueBlue 03-26-2005 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooseOAK
No, a rookie actually has a better chance for ROTY on a bad team because he will get more ice time and have better statistics.


Still, they lean towards that player who helped his team most to make the playoffs.
I doubt there are any, few at most, who have won the Calder while their team did not make the playoffs.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.