HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The Latendresse watch thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1362317)

Stylizer1 02-27-2013 10:02 PM

The Latendresse watch thread
 
Seems like no one wants to talk about what the problem is. Out of respect for the player the team seems to be avoiding the topic all together. Hip injury to whiplash to conditioning have all been the reasons for his exit from the line up.

I am wondering what the Sens saw in the off season that would lead them to believe that he would be able to contribute for us this season.

One reporter said he saw Latendresse leaving with his hockey equipment during the last game day presser with Stash blowing it off with a joke.

Does anyone even know what play may have been the cause of his latest injury or was it in practice?

danishh 02-27-2013 10:05 PM

i have no idea what's going on with lats but the sens signed him to a low risk contract with performance bonuses because he has a past of excellence when healthy, and wanted to be in ottawa because it was the closest place to montreal that wasnt montreal. Sucks that it hasnt worked out, but the sens made the right move at least giving him a chance, and i'm not sure they wont give him another one next year given how cheap it should be.

BankStreetParade 02-27-2013 10:10 PM

Have we definitively heard that he's out for the year? I imagine he's probably recovering from whatever setback he has right now. Doubt that he would just get forgotten about all of a sudden.

Stylizer1 02-27-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BankStreetParade (Post 60625639)
Have we definitively heard that he's out for the year? I imagine he's probably recovering from whatever setback he has right now. Doubt that he would just get forgotten about all of a sudden.

I just can't imagine that he could come back and be an effective player for us at this point. Unless he has been training really hard to get in better shape while he has been recovering(doesn't make much sense) I don't really see an opportunity for him.

L'Aveuglette 02-27-2013 10:28 PM

It would be nice if we could get an actual injury report on Latendresse instead of having to speculate. I've never seen so much mystery surrounding a player. It's as if they don't even want to mention him anymore.

BonkTastic 02-27-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stylizer1 (Post 60624981)
Seems like no one wants to talk about what the problem is. Out of respect for the player the team seems to be avoiding the topic all together. Hip injury to whiplash to conditioning have all been the reasons for his exit from the line up.

I am wondering what the Sens saw in the off season that would lead them to believe that he would be able to contribute for us this season.

One reporter said he saw Latendresse leaving with his hockey equipment during the last game day presser with Stash blowing it off with a joke.

Does anyone even know what play may have been the cause of his latest injury or was it in practice?

Skill.

You don't get guys with his skill for his cap hit very often, and when you do, it's because he's got warts in his game somewhere else.
In Latendresse's case, that wart is severe injury issues.

I have no doubt that if Latendresse gets healthy at some point this season, he'll get another shot on a scoring line. If it doesn't work out, well, we're out almost nothing.

At the end of the day, what are we out if Latendresse doesn't work out for us? I'd love to take chances on guys like Latendresse every year, provided they are a good fit in the locker room. A million bucks isn't much in today's NHL.

Best case scenario: you get a top-6 player on a ridiculously undervalued contract.
Worst case scenario: it doesn't work out, and you're out nothing for your troubles.

I'll welcome Latendresse back with open arms if he can get healthy and his head is in the right spot.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Stylizer1 (Post 60626653)
I just can't imagine that he could come back and be an effective player for us at this point.

It's at least worth trying, though. We have been using Erik Condra on our top line this year.
Don't get me wrong, I loves me some Condra, but I think that fact speaks for the fact that we have very few skill guys on this team right now.

Milan the God* 02-27-2013 10:34 PM

Agreed here. I'd like a real explanation but it seems we won't be getting one.

In terms of his play: his conditioning was down, yes. He had a bunch of chances and couldn't put the puck in the net. It was only five games, so I would have liked to see him play a few more games before declaring him a Sens bust.

Stylizer1 02-27-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette (Post 60627035)
It would be nice if we could get an actual injury report on Latendresse instead of having to speculate. I've never seen so much mystery surrounding a player. It's as if they don't even want to mention him anymore.

Bruce Garrioch wrote on Monday that he is seeking a second opinion. On what exactly

6 days ago:

Latendresse (head) skated on his own Thursday, Ken Warren of the Ottawa Citizen reports.

Analysis: The winger has been suffering from whiplash and hasn't played since January 30. Thursday marked his first time skating alone in 10 days, but he still doesn't appear all that close to returning to action.

MainDotC 02-27-2013 10:38 PM

Lats was in Kovalev mode when I watched him the first few games. I am very quick to judge so if he can do more than what I saw then I'm all for his recovery. However, if the first few games are a precursor to what we should expect from him then I hope he doesn't return. Look at guys hauling ass out there like Grant, DD, Boro, ZJ and Greening compared to Lats. I'd rather have a guy busting his ass and playing hard because he doesn't have the skill to compete with a higher rated player than a skilled player who refuses to work hard.

If he returns to the lineup and plays well then I'm all for it. Otherwise I wish he wasn't on the team.

Andre Benoit Bawls 02-27-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonkTastic (Post 60627409)
Skill.

You don't get guys with his skill for his cap hit very often, and when you do, it's because he's got warts in his game somewhere else.
In Latendresse's case, that wart is severe injury issues.

I have no doubt that if Latendresse gets healthy at some point this season, he'll get another shot on a scoring line. If it doesn't work out, well, we're out almost nothing.

At the end of the day, what are we out if Latendresse doesn't work out for us? I'd love to take chances on guys like Latendresse every year, provided they are a good fit in the locker room. A million bucks isn't much in today's NHL.

Best case scenario: you get a top-6 player on a ridiculously undervalued contract.
Worst case scenario: it doesn't work out, and you're out nothing for your troubles.

I'll welcome Latendresse back with open arms if he can get healthy and his head is in the right spot.

It's at least worth trying, though. We have been using Erik Condra on our top line this year.
Don't get me wrong, I loves me some Condra, but I think that fact speaks for the fact that we have very few skill guys on this team right now.

Yeah this. Real silly how quickly he's been written off imo.

HavlatMach9 02-27-2013 10:44 PM

Sens staff seem to be masters at keeping things mum. Before you knew it, Zibanejad was playing. Last game, a wild Regin appeared.

Stylizer1 02-27-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonkTastic (Post 60627409)
Skill.

You don't get guys with his skill for his cap hit very often, and when you do, it's because he's got warts in his game somewhere else.
In Latendresse's case, that wart is severe injury issues.

I have no doubt that if Latendresse gets healthy at some point this season, he'll get another shot on a scoring line. If it doesn't work out, well, we're out almost nothing.

At the end of the day, what are we out if Latendresse doesn't work out for us? I'd love to take chances on guys like Latendresse every year, provided they are a good fit in the locker room. A million bucks isn't much in today's NHL.

Best case scenario: you get a top-6 player on a ridiculously undervalued contract.
Worst case scenario: it doesn't work out, and you're out nothing for your troubles.

I'll welcome Latendresse back with open arms if he can get healthy and his head is in the right spot.




It's at least worth trying, though. We have been using Erik Condra on our top line this year.
Don't get me wrong, I loves me some Condra, but I think that fact speaks for the fact that we have very few skill guys on this team right now.

That is really not the argument here. I think everyone thought it was a good signing for those reasons you stated. I just think what ever he is suffering from is not going to go away anytime soon and if it does he has fallen even further behind what ever condition he was in at the beginning of the season (which was terrible) to help us more than a call up. If they were to shut him down for the season for him to get completely healthy and then re-evaluate him in the off season and maybe offer him a contract is almost the only solution other than not re-signing him.

Other than 1 perfect pass to Turris he can't really help us at this point.

I'm thinking the injury he has now was the injury that prevented him from training properly this off season. Management said he was in great shape only for him to look lethargic come his first 6 games and then get sidelined.

Stylizer1 02-27-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion (Post 60628291)
Yeah this. Real silly how quickly he's been written off imo.

In a shortend season you have less time to prove yourself. The season is almost halfway done and he has played 6 below average games. I think everyone wants him to get back in the line up and play to his potential but it's his injuries that are making most loose confidence that he can stick around for the long haul.

It is very easy to write off a player who has averaged 11 games a season over his last 2+ seasons.

Disclose 02-27-2013 10:57 PM

think he has/had the same thing as Crosby: bad diagnosis.
there was a small article in the 24h journal in montreal, today.

says he's heading to Michigan to meet with a specialist in head and neck injuries.

(french)
http://www.24hmontreal.canoe.ca/24hm...26-142946.html

Stylizer1 02-27-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disclose (Post 60629385)
think he has/had the same thing as Crosby: bad diagnosis.
there was a small article in the 24h journal in montreal, today.

says he's heading to Michigan to meet with a specialist in head and neck injuries.

(french)
http://www.24hmontreal.canoe.ca/24hm...26-142946.html

Crosby is still the best player in the league but has lost the wow factor.

Guy will be lucky to make the league unless he fully recovers.

Emerica 02-27-2013 11:16 PM

As far as I know there's still 28 games this season.

And last I heard, he was going to get his neck checked out. Probably similar situation Crosby was in, like Disclose mentioned.

PatrickEaves 02-27-2013 11:19 PM

Stop calling it the Crosby injury.

OTTAWA SENATORS prospect Antoine Vermette had the exact same mis-diagnosted concussion years before that whiner Crosby had it.

BonkTastic 02-27-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stylizer1 (Post 60628717)
That is really not the argument here. I think everyone thought it was a good signing for those reasons you stated. I just think what ever he is suffering from is not going to go away anytime soon and if it does he has fallen even further behind what ever condition he was in at the beginning of the season (which was terrible) to help us more than a call up. If they were to shut him down for the season for him to get completely healthy and then re-evaluate him in the off season and maybe offer him a contract is almost the only solution other than not re-signing him.

Other than 1 perfect pass to Turris he can't really help us at this point.

I'm thinking the injury he has now was the injury that prevented him from training properly this off season. Management said he was in great shape only for him to look lethargic come his first 6 games and then get sidelined.

You asked, and I quote:
"I am wondering what the Sens saw in the off season that would lead them to believe that he would be able to contribute for us this season".


I answered that question.
I agree that it's not really the argument that we should be focusing on, but you're the one who brought it up, and I felt the need to address it.

Emerica 02-27-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrePetersson (Post 60630911)
Stop calling it the Crosby injury.

OTTAWA SENATORS prospect Antoine Vermette had the exact same mis-diagnosted concussion years before that whiner Crosby had it.

Who cares.

We're not calling it the Crosby injury, we're saying it's the same Crosby had. It's fresh in everyone's mind since it's so recent compared to Vermette.

No need to get your panties in a bunch.

Marvelous Manked 02-28-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danishh (Post 60625165)
i have no idea what's going on with lats but the sens signed him to a low risk contract with performance bonuses because he has a past of excellence when healthy, and wanted to be in ottawa because it was the closest place to montreal that wasnt montreal. Sucks that it hasnt worked out, but the sens made the right move at least giving him a chance, and i'm not sure they wont give him another one next year given how cheap it should be.

I thought performance bonuses were only available on ELC's and 35+ contracts?

But you're the CBA expert Danishh, do you mind explaining?

danishh 02-28-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manked (Post 60635723)
I thought performance bonuses were only available on ELC's and 35+ contracts?

But you're the CBA expert Danishh, do you mind explaining?

players who fail to meet certain games played thresholds due to injury over the last season and over the last two seasons (which i dont have off the top of my head, but lats qualified) are eligible for performance bonuses as well on one-year contracts.

Latendresse's 1-year contract with the sens includes a 1.25M base salary and 750k in bonuses. Unless he comes back pretty soon, i'm pretty sure he'll qualify again next year, probably at an even lower base salary due to disappointing this season.

BonkTastic 02-28-2013 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manked (Post 60635723)
I thought performance bonuses were only available on ELC's and 35+ contracts?

But you're the CBA expert Danishh, do you mind explaining?

Players can have performance bonuses in their contract if:

1) they are on an entry-level contracts
2) they are signing a one-year contract, after returning from long-term injuries (100 or more days on injured reserve in their most recent year).
3) they sign a one-year contract after the age of 35.

Magix 02-28-2013 12:49 AM

He was pretty useless when he was out there. If they give him another shot, same thing will probably happen with him taking a roster spot from one of the kids in bingo. Then he goes out there, looks out of shape, gets injured and sits out again.

danishh 02-28-2013 12:50 AM

hmm... my memory thought there was a provision for days on IR over the past two seasons as well.

BonkTastic 02-28-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danishh (Post 60635953)
hmm... my memory thought there was a provision for days on IR over the past two seasons as well.

Could be.

I didn't see any in the CBA, but I admittedly wasn't looking for that rule, either.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.