HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Which is more of a fluke? MTL's play this year, or last year? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1362863)

beenhereandthere 02-28-2013 01:53 PM

Which is more of a fluke? MTL's play this year, or last year?

IMO, last year was. I'm not too surprised to see how they've started this year. Of course, though, it's how you finish.
Keeping fingers crossed.:handclap:

Galchenyuk27 02-28-2013 01:57 PM

I'd say last years' team, based on me seeing them producing further away from what I would expect. I guess this team is still over performing in my opinion at the moment (not that I'm complaining) but they're not playing THAT much better than they should be. This is a solid team, guys.

Guy Caballero 02-28-2013 02:02 PM

Can I pick neither? New players and new coach. It's a different team.

Monctonscout 02-28-2013 02:14 PM

If not for last year, this year's team would have been expected to be in the 5th to 8th range "on paper". The fact that they finished 15th had all the "experts" predicting only a slight improvement, not considering they were 8th or 9th halfway through last year...lost key guys and depth guys like Gionta Markov Moen White for extended periods. Bourque arrived at less than 100%. Diaz and Emelin were rookies. Cunneyworth had no real system.

MsChanandlerBong 02-28-2013 02:35 PM

I didn't answer the poll because there wasn't a neither option. Last year we ran a bad system with a bad coach and a bad team. This year we are having success because of a strong system with a new coach and a significantly better roster.

No Team Needed 02-28-2013 02:38 PM

Every analyst, including ones usually harsh and negative on the Canadiens said last year the team played underneath their level and expected their record to improve, though only a few would say they were a playoff team.

Habtchum* 02-28-2013 02:40 PM

Last year, they were not as bad as your typical 15th place team. Lots of injuries and bad overall coaching killed them.

This year, they are certainly the second best (after Boston) team in their own Division. They could still finish on top.

habsfanatics 02-28-2013 02:42 PM

Neither, different team, different coach, different management, different philosophy. This team has 2 rookies, 2 dman that were rookies last year and added prust/Armstrong and the general.

Bob Cole 02-28-2013 02:43 PM

easily last year yet most hf super duper experts still had us finish in the lottery this year

Erik Estrada 02-28-2013 03:17 PM

Last season was a perfect storm. This year the stars are aligned. So neither or both...

Mathradio 02-28-2013 03:50 PM

Last year, although poor coaching was a likely cause.

Dwight 02-28-2013 04:00 PM

A bit of both, though more so last year.

The Habs, IMO, are truly still a middle of the pack team. If the season were longer, they'd probably regress to the mean a little more, but the shortness of this campaign will be in their favour.

That said, I'm willing to just shut up and enjoy the ride.

LePoche69 02-28-2013 04:00 PM

both. To me, for now, Habs are still a 6th to 10th place team over a 82 games season.

But they're heading in the right direction.

MTL-rules 02-28-2013 04:02 PM

A little bit of both. I don't think the habs were as bad on paper as they were on the ice last year (thank you Conneyworth for Galchenyuk !) and I believe they are overachieving by a lot right now, I mean first in the East... maybe a playoffs team, but first... I hope, but don't think it will last.

cjbhab 02-28-2013 04:03 PM

Last year I had LA over MTL in the cup as my preseason prediction.. we were rattled by injuries, nothing went right.

yes it sounds absurd, but i was riding the high of losing to BOS in 7 by one goal the year before. Won't forget the hand pass and highstick.

LePoche69 02-28-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habtchum (Post 60658753)
Last year, they were not as bad as your typical 15th place team. Lots of injuries and bad overall coaching killed them.

This year, they are certainly the second best (after Boston) team in their own Division. They could still finish on top.

True that they can still finish on top in this peculiar 48 games season.

But without their injuries, I think Ottawa is a more balanced team than the Habs.

hockeyman* 02-28-2013 04:07 PM

We made losing a beautiful thing last year. If it wasn't for last years "fluke" we wouldn't be here for this years "fluke" ....

So in saying that, neither were a fluke. We were that bad last year, and were this good this year.

Agnostic 02-28-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habsfanatics (Post 60658853)
Neither, different team, different coach, different management, different philosophy. This team has 2 rookies, 2 dman that were rookies last year and added prust/Armstrong and the general.

This. They are vastly different teams.

SouthernHab 02-28-2013 04:25 PM

I too would like the neither option.

Last year the Habs were Martin's team and Martin's system did not work. It was idiocy to expect a smallish team to play a system that requires big bodies. Plus, Martin is not known as a motivator, especially with younger players.

This year, Therrien brings an entirely new aggressive system that is suited for the players on the roster. Therrien also has shown that he trusts younger players and is doing a very good job with their on the ice development.

Night and day.

Neither were/are fluke seasons.

LeHaboholique 02-28-2013 04:28 PM

Personally I feel as if last year was the biggest fluke. Over the last Seven years we have made it to the playoffs SIX times! No we where never on top like this and no we where not usually in the top Three. Going from playoff team to bottom feeder that quickly was born from consistent injuries, poor coaching and terrible 3rds and OT's. We are not a total fluke but not total genius.

SouthernHab 02-28-2013 04:30 PM

A more interesting question would be to ask if the Habs would be first in the East with Martin as the head coach.

smurfyeah19 02-28-2013 05:41 PM

No I was reading something on awinninghabit.com about how well Montreal shuts down the middle of the ice defensively. Combine that with probably the second best goalie in the league and you should win a lot. Also that PP isn't shabby either

Harpo 02-28-2013 05:45 PM

Hum, both equally. They probably should be 6th to 8th, so both results are an aberration.

charlie 02-28-2013 05:52 PM

When is the last time we had a real coach.

Cunny......nope
Martin......nope again
Gainey.....nope
Carbo.......nope again
Gainey.....nope
Julien.......yep
Therrien....seems to be.

poetryinmotion 02-28-2013 05:55 PM

Anyone with a know how about stats should know that last year was the blip on the radar.