HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Alfie not staying in Ottawa after retirement? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1363491)

Caseus 03-01-2013 07:04 AM

Alfie not staying in Ottawa after retirement?

I'm not a fan of rumours. It's too easy for Random_stranger to say "I heard..." and pull something out of their ass. So take this with a grain of salt.

I'm currently having renovations done at my place. The contractor told me he'd put hardwood flooring in Alfie's house, and knows Alfie and Bibbi fairly well (his wife was always pregnant at the same time as Bibbi, he was the first to swim in Alfie's new pool, etc.)

He said Alfie can't wait to move back home to Sweden when he retires. Nothing against Ottawa, it's just that Sweden is his home. The contractor said Alfie has already built a house in Sweden for when he retires.

I was always so sure Alfie would stay in Ottawa when he was done, and would take a position in the Senators' management. However, I'm not going to begrudge Daniel Alfredsson anything; for everything he's done for this team and this city, he doesn't owe us anything more.

Has anyone heard anything that could contradict this? Can I slap my contractor?

kilroy 03-01-2013 07:17 AM

Ah rumours.

Well, no one really knows what he'll do when he retires, so we can speculate all we want.

However, nearly everything out of Alfie's mouth has heavily implied that he's staying in Ottawa to some degree. Remember that his kids were born and grew up, for the most part, in the Ottawa area. So, I think he'll split his time between here and Sweden, like he does now.

I KNOW that the Sens are going to offer him a position when he does retire. I don't know what the nature of the position is, or if he'll take it, but the offer will be extended.

Herc Man 03-01-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caseus (Post 60724709)
I'm not a fan of rumours. It's too easy for Random_stranger to say "I heard..." and pull something out of their ass. So take this with a grain of salt.

I'm currently having renovations done at my place. The contractor told me he'd put hardwood flooring in Alfie's house, and knows Alfie and Bibbi fairly well (his wife was always pregnant at the same time as Bibbi, he was the first to swim in Alfie's new pool, etc.)

He said Alfie can't wait to move back home to Sweden when he retires. Nothing against Ottawa, it's just that Sweden is his home. The contractor said Alfie has already built a house in Sweden for when he retires.

I was always so sure Alfie would stay in Ottawa when he was done, and would take a position in the Senators' management. However, I'm not going to begrudge Daniel Alfredsson anything; for everything he's done for this team and this city, he doesn't owe us anything more.

Has anyone heard anything that could contradict this? Can I slap my contractor?

If your contractor has indeed walked within the hallowed halls of heaven and been bathed in the waters of Babylon, you should have him set upon an alter and worshipped as a prophet of the spoken word of God.

Jerk Store* 03-01-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herc Man (Post 60724991)
If your contractor has indeed walked within the hallowed halls of heaven and been bathed in the waters of Babylon, you should have him set upon an alter and worshipped as a prophet of the spoken word of God.

Thanks for this, cereal came out my nose.

great1 03-01-2013 07:42 AM

I don't want to believe it, Alfie said his children are Canadian so he will be staying in Canada.

SilverSeven 03-01-2013 07:45 AM

Am I the only one who doesnt really care where he lives when he retires? He can work for the team from Sweden.

blahblah3 03-01-2013 07:47 AM

I would if I were him. He has been a phenomenal Cpt. and owes us nothing after he retires.

Legend Killer 03-01-2013 08:00 AM

Am I the only one who doesnt care what he does after he retires? He has an extremely young family. Im sure that will be his priority for a few years after hockey.

JonnyMacSen 03-01-2013 08:08 AM

Our next Swedish scout? :yo:

Do Make Say Think 03-01-2013 08:09 AM

I'd do the same if I was him (go home I mean, not leave Ottawa)

And I love Ottawa

Flamingo 03-01-2013 08:14 AM

Well, I'm certainly not going to loan him any money, then.

MVP Tom Pyatt 03-01-2013 08:15 AM

We should make his house into a museum.

bacon25 03-01-2013 08:16 AM

trade him :sarcasm:

TeamRenzo 03-01-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legend Killer (Post 60725681)
Am I the only one who doesnt care what he does after he retires? He has an extremely young family. Im sure that will be his priority for a few years after hockey.

It has nothing to do with the fans. Alfie is a family man and has four kids and a wife that are established in the community and I am doubtful that he would want to uproot his entire family to move back to his home.

I would prefer if Alfie retired in Ottawa but I want nothing but the best for his family.

HavlatMach9 03-01-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caseus (Post 60724709)
Can I slap my contractor?

Slap yourself. Open this thread when he moves his family to Sweden.

Qward 03-01-2013 08:51 AM

How can he be assistant GM from Sweden?

Indrew 03-01-2013 08:53 AM

The man can and should do whatever the hell he wants!

achillesheel 03-01-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herc man (Post 60724991)
if your contractor has indeed walked within the hallowed halls of heaven and been bathed in the waters of babylon, you should have him set upon an alter and worshipped as a prophet of the spoken word of god.

poty

Golden 03-01-2013 09:24 AM

I'm not sure why this would be a big deal, tbh.

MiscBrah 03-01-2013 09:44 AM

I'm sure Alfie already has multiple houses in Sweden. Your contractor is just trying to name drop. Alfie prob said something like "I can't wait to see my new renovations in the summer!" And your buddy blew it out of proportion.

pepty 03-01-2013 09:46 AM

I am sure he will build a house in Sweden and is looking forward to spending more time there when his playing days are done, but everything he has said so far sounds like he and his family consider Ottawa his home.

BankStreetParade 03-01-2013 09:47 AM

Doesn't Alfie go to Sweden every summer for a couple of months? Find it hard to believe there's really a story here. Seems like something he's been doing his whole career.

Larionov 03-01-2013 09:51 AM

Sweden has dumped its wealth tax, I believe, so the huge disincentive for players to move back has been removed. (Sweden used to have a 1% annual tax on your entire net worth above a certain point, which virtually guaranteed that any high income athletes, entertainers, etc. moved out.) Still, Swedish tax rates are considerably higher than Canada's, which has to be a consideration. My bet is that he stays here, and spends a good chunk of each summer back in Sweden.

CanadianHockey 03-01-2013 09:54 AM

I'd be surprised if he got rid of his Ottawa home, to be honest. Will probably keep both, and live in one during the summer and the other during the working season.

tony d 03-01-2013 10:00 AM

Whatever he does, I hope he does it because it's what best for him and his family and no one else.