HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Wisconsin NHL Fanbase Map (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1363597)

rkhum 03-01-2013 10:15 AM

Wisconsin NHL Fanbase Map

Is this correct?
I would assume honestly that most of Wisconsin is very casual to the NHL. In baseball, fanbases stretch for a long ways well into secondary markets (think Albany with Yankees).

In hockey and basketball I notice once you are out of the general metro area interest is quite indifferent.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7023/6...b890eb8794.jpg

bigplay41* 03-01-2013 10:25 AM

maybe its because of college football but i have a hard time seeing anyone from Wisconsin cheering on a team from minnesota or michigan

Heyoooo* 03-01-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doakes (Post 60730499)
Is this correct?
I would assume honestly that most of Wisconsin is very casual to the NHL. In baseball, fanbases stretch for a long ways well into secondary markets (think Albany with Yankees).

In hockey and basketball I notice once you are out of the general metro area interest is quite indifferent.

I dont get this post.

Youre shocked that there are Yankee fans in Albany? Its a mere two hours away, sometimes less, from the Bronx, and its in NY nonetheless. Of course there would be.

Sports are big everywhere, whether a primary or secondary market.

IceAce 03-01-2013 10:46 AM

I'd expect more of Western WI to pull for the Wild than what you have here due to the proximity to Minnesota. Blackhawks are probably more concentrated in the SE around the areas of Madison and Milwaukee.

I would also doubt that NE Wisconsin pulls for the Red Wings in any great numbers. I dont think the fact that they're close to the UP of Michigan means they're going to pull for the Wings. I know people in the UP are typically Packer fans when it comes to the NFL due to the proximity to Green Bay, but that doesnt work in reverse. The UP is no where near Detroit.

Vamos Rafa 03-01-2013 11:29 AM

I would think that Milwaukee fans hate any Chicago sports team.

Off-topic, but do Milwaukee residents wish the Packers were based in Milwaukee?

IceAce 03-01-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigplay41 (Post 60730955)
maybe its because of college football but i have a hard time seeing anyone from Wisconsin cheering on a team from minnesota or michigan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal (Post 60734567)
I would think that Milwaukee fans hate any Chicago sports team.

when you've got no horse in the race, you usually root for the one you're most familiar with.

HugoSimon 03-01-2013 01:57 PM

My guess is with their high number of players from the state they follow a multiple number of western teams. I can see the dallas stars, and the avalanche being big brands there as well as the LA teams.

jumptheshark 03-01-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigplay41 (Post 60730955)

I know some Cheese heads and they are hawks fans

AdmiralsFan24 03-01-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doakes (Post 60730499)
Is this correct?

The Red Wings area is about right. Lots of Blackhawks fans in the South especially as you get towards the Illinois border where there are also a lot of Bears/Cubs/White Sox/Bulls fans. The Wild map is all wrong. There is no way the Blackhawks fanbase stretches that far North and West. That's all Wild territory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal (Post 60734567)
Off-topic, but do Milwaukee residents wish the Packers were based in Milwaukee?

Not really. It's not that bad of a drive to Green Bay if you want to go to a game and there is a Milwaukee season ticket holders package.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceAce (Post 60740387)
when you've got no horse in the race, you usually root for the one you're most familiar with.

The most familiar team in Wisconsin is the Wild since most if not all of their games are broadcast here. The Blackhawks only get extreme Southeast Wisconsin (Kenosha County and maybe a little of Racine and Walworth Counties.) BTW, thanks for stealing our good looking sports reporter, Chicago. :(

rkhum 03-03-2013 11:17 AM

I am surprised then that WI roots for the Hawks or Wild given how WI hates Minnesota and Chicago.

My guess is that in WI it is not like say Iowa where the Cubs have a huge base or Albany, NY where it is a big Yankee base.

Rather I notice in the NHL and NBA if you have no local team, most people are "free agents" and casually root for whoever.

AdmiralsFan24 03-03-2013 12:18 PM

We don't really hate Minnesota. The only team we don't like is the Vikings but that's because they're in our division. Wolves play in the West, Bucks play in the East, even when the Brewers were in the AL the White Sox were bigger rivals than the Twins and obviously we don't have an NHL team so we don't have a rivalry.

I could never root for a Chicago team but I like every Minnesota pro team except the Vikings. They don't really bother me.

Bullwine85 03-03-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 (Post 60856871)
We don't really hate Minnesota. The only team we don't like is the Vikings but that's because they're in our division. Wolves play in the West, Bucks play in the East, even when the Brewers were in the AL the White Sox were bigger rivals than the Twins and obviously we don't have an NHL team so we don't have a rivalry.

I could never root for a Chicago team but I like every Minnesota pro team except the Vikings. They don't really bother me.

I would root for the Wild......except I hate the Vikings more than I do the Bears. :laugh: And my rule of thumb is to never root for a team that's from the same place as another team that I hate :laugh:

You also have to keep in mind that the Badgers and Gophers are archrivals as well. Personally i don't mind the Gophers, but I went to Marquette ;)

No Fun Shogun 03-03-2013 12:26 PM

Looks about right, though the Wild probably cover almost all of western Wisconsin.

Mo Wanchuk 03-03-2013 02:57 PM

Wisconsin resident checking in. Pens fan here, but that's because I saw Lemieux and Jagr live at the old Met Center when the North Stars met the Penguins in the SC Finals. Always was a North Stars fan, and the Wild are my second team. Also like watching Hawks.

I would agree the Wild pretty much cover all of western WI, and the Blackhawks are more a southern WI team. Detroit looks about right.

Glacial 03-03-2013 11:31 PM

Can we have a Wisconsonite familiar with the hockey borders in their state redraw the OP's map to reflect the real coverage/boundaries?

AdmiralsFan24 03-03-2013 11:59 PM

I'm awful at doing that kind of stuff but just start where the Wild, Blackhawks and Red Wings meet, draw a line down to the top of the green feather on the Blackhawks logo and go West, Minnesota would take that territory and anything else South of that as long as it's close to the Minnesota border. Maybe drop the Red Wings a little further South but other than that it's good. Most of the population in the state is from Madison to Milwaukee (about a 3rd of the population is in 3 counties, Milwaukee, Waukesha and Dane which are the 3 biggest in the state population wise). Those would all lean towards the Blackhawks with a fair amount of Wild, Red Wings, rest of the O6, Preds and currently good teams for bandwagoners but still in favor of the Blackhawks by a decent margin.

Dangleberry 03-04-2013 01:53 PM

I don't get this thread. Look at New Jersey. In the north you have mostly Rangers and Devils fans, in the South it's pretty much all Flyer territory. Do you expect them all to be Devils fans?? The NYC market encompasses parts of New Jersey and Southern Connecticut and there's a whole myriad of combinations when it comes to supporting local teams. In fact, at the Giants Super Bowl parade there were a ton of Rangers and Devils fans, but who happen to like the Giants. Pick from the following:

NHL:
Rangers, Devils, Islanders

NBA:
Knicks, Nets

NFL:
Giants, Jets

MLB:
Yankees, Mets

Major4Boarding 03-04-2013 02:08 PM

True, but the market and allegiances are compacted (largely in part because of the size of the state of NJ) where as Wisconsin is much more spread out.

And if your asking, my wife's from Bergen County, NJ - Devils, Giants, Yankees fan. Other in-law members - Mets, Jets, Rangers

frozenriverrat77 03-04-2013 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
very close...http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/at...1&d=1362429963

The Zetterberg Era 03-04-2013 07:46 PM

Have to be honest I run into more fellow Red Wings fans in Milwaukee than Hawks fans. Really smart fans root for the Preds, but that market is fairly even split to a Wings advantage in my opinion, once you get south of the city that changes. Madison is a Badgers town, the college students might have home teams, but the city as a whole would be hard to pin down. I would tend to go Wild if I had to make a choice. As hard as that is with the Gophers I just have never seen that much hatred for the Wild and they show there games. Plus cruise their roster, not hard to figure out why that team is currently even more popular in Wisconsin. The Northwest has been their territory for a long time, but the rest of the state has to be trending that way, even the Green Bay area which I would call Wings territory. Having all those Badgers is likely to change the map.

When I went to Marquette you could split this roughly in thirds. What basically happened there is the 2/3 that didn't root for Chicago hated all things Chicago together while there. Pretty common in the southern part, the hatred for Cubs and Bears is deep. The AHL team has its biggest rivalry with the Chicago Wolves as well. I don't think Chicago draws as well as you think after you get too far north of the boarder.

Now the fact that they have gotten pretty good probably helps the bandwagon movement, but not a big enough dent that I have noticed in a major way.

Blue And Orange 03-04-2013 11:03 PM

Wisconsin needs an NHL team. Add two teams in Seattle and Milwaukee to balance out the two conferences. 16 teams in each.

Seattle goes to Pacific Division. Milwaukee to MidWest Divsion.

No Fun Shogun 03-05-2013 12:36 AM

So long as Milwaukee has the Bucks, they're not getting an NHL team. Like Indianapolis, it's already a fairly oversaturated sports market with their Green Bay fanbase, the Brewers, the Bucks, Wisconsin, and Marquette.

AdmiralsFan24 03-05-2013 12:40 AM

Marquette is a blip on the radar in terms of fan interest. They couldn't even sell out (or even come close) in their recent matchup with Syracuse.

The Zetterberg Era 03-05-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 (Post 60991369)
Marquette is a blip on the radar in terms of fan interest. They couldn't even sell out (or even come close) in their recent matchup with Syracuse.

Marquette does better than the Bucks attendance wise, of course I don't expect the Bucks to stick around a lot longer and the difference in games helps. Still I think the Bucks would gladly take the 16,000+ you're pointing out as not close.

Without the Bucks leaving though I don't see the NHL going anywhere near the Milwaukee market. The NHL has said to have studied it several times and the numbers don't support putting a team there. Since one of the reasons the Bucks would move is the Bradley Center as well as other issues, I wonder if the NHL would be all that happy even thinking about it anyway.

Dirty but Good 03-05-2013 01:13 AM

Lifelong Wisconsin resident and flyers fan here

In order for the NHL to come to Milwaukee the Bucks need to leave (which is why I cheer against them so passionately) and they need a new arena.

I think it could be realistic for an NHL team to come to Milwaukee in 10-15 years as hockey popularity seems to be growing a bit. Bucks have to go though. If that happens I think its conceivable that Milwaukee could get an arena and an NHL team.