HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Johnson and Engblom (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1363821)

jester24 03-01-2013 03:36 PM

Johnson and Engblom
 
Is it only me or do our colour guys frustrate everyone. I mean, every time the refs call a suspect call against the Jets, they say "that's a penalty". I almost fell off my chair yesterday when Johnson said Elias tripped Kane with two minutes left and a penalty should have been called. I mean, you're supposed to be the Jets announce crew. I'm not listening for you to tow the NHL line in terms of the officiating. A little bias wouldn't kill them would it?

Nothing better than sitting at home and seeing it was a ****** call and then having your announce team say it was a good one. That's like being forced to eat feces and having someone tell us to say "Thank you sir, can I have another?"

Maybe it's just me but does this bother anyone else?

wpgsilver 03-01-2013 03:40 PM

I'd rather less bias then more.
The colour guys get a ton of flack around here, but complaining that they call the game as they see it rather than powder to the fans is stupid.
Perhaps you should watch the game with less bias.

bigplay41 03-01-2013 03:46 PM

love Johnson and Engblom great to have them in the booth for us

King Woodballs 03-01-2013 03:50 PM

it's too bad more teams werent this objective.

most broadcasts are homers that includes tsn national games with certain teams

tbcwpg 03-01-2013 03:51 PM

Engblom did say that Elias should have been called for a penalty. Refs put their whistles away at the end of the game.

I like them generally, there are times that the Jets are horrible and they don't sugar coat it. Johnson I like unless the team is playing against Montreal. Then he loves Montreal at the expense of the team he's doing colour for. Only time I got frustrated with a commentator this season.

Mossy Oak 03-01-2013 04:09 PM

I am in the middle on Mike Johnson, but that also goes for his way of analyzing while on TSN too, just not sure I am a big fan of him. He does a decent job though and provides good knowledge. Maybe it's just his personality, sometimes the way he comes across, or his style I'm not 100% sold on. Otherwise, I enjoy Engblom, Hnidy and Ferraro when he does our TSN games.

All in all, I really like our TSNJets crew, I feel pretty fortunate to have the people we do to do our Jets coverage, that goes for Dennis Beyak too. I really enjoy the coverage and broadcast TSNJets puts on. :)

Back in the Bigs 03-01-2013 04:10 PM

Generally I like both those guys, but Engblom can try to oversell some of his points a bit...like last night when he went on and on about how he's not a fan of the one-timer on the powerplay and how it's overdone... seems to me like a lot of teams manage to use it pretty effectively :dunno:

cheswick 03-01-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jester24 (Post 60745155)
Is it only me or do our colour guys frustrate everyone. I mean, every time the refs call a suspect call against the Jets, they say "that's a penalty". I almost fell off my chair yesterday when Johnson said Elias tripped Kane with two minutes left and a penalty should have been called. I mean, you're supposed to be the Jets announce crew. I'm not listening for you to tow the NHL line in terms of the officiating. A little bias wouldn't kill them would it?

Nothing better than sitting at home and seeing it was a ****** call and then having your announce team say it was a good one. That's like being forced to eat feces and having someone tell us to say "Thank you sir, can I have another?"

Maybe it's just me but does this bother anyone else?

Yeah I personally have no clue what your talking about, they seem unbiased to me.Your complaint seems to be that they aren't biased towards the Jets. And Johnson didn't even do the game yesterday......

Jet 03-01-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back in the Bigs (Post 60747149)
Generally I like both those guys, but Engblom can try to oversell some of his points a bit...like last night when he went on and on about how he's not a fan of the one-timer on the powerplay and how it's overdone... seems to me like a lot of teams manage to use it pretty effectively :dunno:

I think Engblom was bang on with that comment. He was talking specifically about our 5 on 3 (which we have yet to score on btw). The one timer from the point can be effective if its accurate, but 5 on 3 when you have space you can walk right in and take a more accurate shot.

I like Engblom's insights, but Johnson really annoys the hell out of me. I am a fan of the Jets and while I don't think it should be all rah rah, you have to understand your audience loves the team and lives and dies by it. You need to play that a bit.

YWGinYYZ 03-01-2013 04:39 PM

The one call I loved by Johnson (as I don't really like his style) was on the Bogosian - Nodl hit - he almost lost his 'stuff' when that went down. First and only time he was a bit of a Jets homer.

In general, I like the TSN crew. Would rather have objective announcers than complete homers.

Tintin's Ghost 03-01-2013 05:02 PM

Engblom is the best part of the TSN broadcast. He has a great voice and is able to be detailed in the small amount of time he has between plays to illustrate his point. He reminds me of a guy who used to do broadcasts for TSN in the 90s by the last name of Greene? But I may be mistaken. I prefer him to Beyak because I'm not a fan of Beyak's nasally-pitched voice. Beyak calls a good game but sounds like he's speaking through his sinus cavity.

I also enjoy Johnson. Good voice and I like how he emphasizes/gets excited after a big play. He sounds like a buddy who is excitedly relaying what just happened in the game.

PaperRockChamp 03-01-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost (Post 60750071)
Engblom is the best part of the TSN broadcast. He has a great voice and is able to be detailed in the small amount of time he has between plays to illustrate his point. He reminds me of a guy who used to do broadcasts for TSN in the 90s by the last name of Greene? But I may be mistaken. I prefer him to Beyak because I'm not a fan of Beyak's nasally-pitched voice. Beyak calls a good game but sounds like he's speaking through his sinus cavity.

I also enjoy Johnson. Good voice and I like how he emphasizes/gets excited after a big play. He sounds like a buddy who is excitedly relaying what just happened in the game.

When TSN-Jets started, and before I listened to Engblom, I decided I didn't like him..

In my opinion, Engblom is an EXCELLENT analyst. He often points things out that many, many play-by-play and color guys would never.

It could also be that he knows we don't need to hear the obvious plays broken down, so he points out the finer details with what went right or wrong.

Impressed with his work.

Vander Teemuchuk 03-01-2013 05:12 PM

I really value non homerism since i watch a fair number of games on centre ice. Our TSN guys aren't perfect but they r pros who don't ruin games with rah rah rah. praise is genuine. Calling out very limited number of bad calls is good. I can't stand announcers who moan about too many calls. Its a welcomed report for it not to be like sitting at a minor hockey game when a dad rips a ref all the time for very penalty his kid takes. Constant ref bashing and home team flattery r reasons i watch a lot of centre ice games on mute.

Blue Shakehead 03-01-2013 05:23 PM

I really like both of them. The only exception is when Engblom is covering Florida games as he seems to have a huge ***** for Brian Campbell.

Love Beyak too. I used to get annoyed with Beyak's obsessions with weird stats (i.e., antropov is a plus 4 in back-to-back games where the other team scored first and we had the lead coming into the 2nd period, etc etc)....but I noticed that Gord Miller does that a lot too...

puck stoppa 03-01-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surge1979 (Post 60751069)
I really like both of them. The only exception is when Engblom is covering Florida games as he seems to have a huge ***** for Brian Campbell.

Love Beyak too. I used to get annoyed with Beyak's obsessions with weird stats (i.e., antropov is a plus 4 in back-to-back games where the other team scored first and we had the lead coming into the 2nd period, etc etc)....but I noticed that Gord Miller does that a lot too...

I heard he gets those stats from garrett9 :sarcasm:

Blue Shakehead 03-01-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puck stoppa (Post 60751363)
I heard he gets those stats from garrett9 :sarcasm:

Garret's stats are far more comprehensive and useful.

The only exception is when he says that shot blocking isn't necessarily a good thing when talking about 2011-12 Mark Stuart, but the opposite when we're talking about 2012-13 Ron Hainsey.

:fence:

Ramsalot 03-01-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost (Post 60750071)
Engblom is the best part of the TSN broadcast. He has a great voice and is able to be detailed in the small amount of time he has between plays to illustrate his point. He reminds me of a guy who used to do broadcasts for TSN in the 90s by the last name of Greene? But I may be mistaken. I prefer him to Beyak because I'm not a fan of Beyak's nasally-pitched voice. Beyak calls a good game but sounds like he's speaking through his sinus cavity.

I also enjoy Johnson. Good voice and I like how he emphasizes/gets excited after a big play. He sounds like a buddy who is excitedly relaying what just happened in the game.

Eh, I don't mind his voice, I'd take Beyak's voice over any of the fourth stringers CBC gives us when we aren't playing other Canadian teams on HNIC. Text to speech voices would be more engaging.

Roooski 03-01-2013 06:18 PM

Engblom is one of the best color guys out there. He also does I believe Rangers and another teams games from time to time. Or he did last year at least.

I prefer not to have someone that is bias. It sickens me when I hear homers call the game from the fan perspective. Sure I like to hear good things said about the team I love but I want them to earn those comments not default into them because they pay the announcers bills.

Andy6 03-01-2013 06:40 PM

I like that they call it as they see it. They are both good, although Engblom is really good. They often have real insights that are worth listening to. Beyak I don't mind when he's actually describing the play - in fact, he's quite good - but the stats are just ridiculous. It's as though his entire appreciation for the sport is as a stats-generating machine. He never has anything to say about the quality of the game that we're watching, just stats about how it fits into some statistical pattern over the past X games.

Tintin's Ghost 03-01-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramsalot (Post 60753165)
Eh, I don't mind his voice, I'd take Beyak's voice over any of the fourth stringers CBC gives us when we aren't playing other Canadian teams on HNIC. Text to speech voices would be more engaging.

I agree. Helen Keller would be a more lively presence than Mark Lee.

Conflicted Habs fan 03-01-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jester24 (Post 60745155)
...Johnson and Engblom?

Johnson and Engblom are the macaronni and cheese of sportscasters. If you want boeuf flambais you need a sportscster who can scream a goal: "ET C'EST LA BUUUUUUTT"

pondnorth 03-01-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost (Post 60755479)
I agree. Helen Keller would be a more lively presence than Mark Lee.

Mark Lee and Rod Black should to be restricted to only figure skating and checkers.Remember when CBC did CFL games with Lee announcing.Awful.

KCjetsfan 03-01-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surge1979 (Post 60751615)
Garret's stats are far more comprehensive and useful.

The only exception is when he says that shot blocking isn't necessarily a good thing when talking about 2011-12 Mark Stuart, but the opposite when we're talking about 2012-13 Ron Hainsey.

:fence:

agree x100

cheswick 03-01-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost (Post 60750071)
Engblom is the best part of the TSN broadcast. He has a great voice and is able to be detailed in the small amount of time he has between plays to illustrate his point. He reminds me of a guy who used to do broadcasts for TSN in the 90s by the last name of Greene? But I may be mistaken. I prefer him to Beyak because I'm not a fan of Beyak's nasally-pitched voice. Beyak calls a good game but sounds like he's speaking through his sinus cavity.

I also enjoy Johnson. Good voice and I like how he emphasizes/gets excited after a big play. He sounds like a buddy who is excitedly relaying what just happened in the game.

Couldn't agree more. Can't stand his voice.

Critical Mass 03-01-2013 08:59 PM

I like both Engblom and Johnson. Beyak is well prepared and he's a fine broadcaster.

And while I'm not a huge fan of Beyak's style, I think the TSN Jets broadcast is much, much better than NBC's broadcasts where they dumb the game down for their audience.

You'd think CBC would be a little deeper on talent for play-by-play broadcasters. I think Scott Oake should have a bigger role than the sideline duty he's used for.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.