HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Anyone want to take a new crack at the top 10 prospects? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=13643)

Mizral 09-23-2003 10:00 AM

Anyone want to take a new crack at the top 10 prospects?

What the hell, I'll give it a quick shot:

NOTE: This list is based upon three criteria. 1 - Potential, 2 - Age, and 3 - How close they are to being NHL players

1 - Ryan Kesler
2 - Tomas Mojzis
3 - Alex Auld
4 - RJ Umberger
5 - Brandon Reid
6 - Jason King
7 - Kirill Koltsov
8 - Tyler Bouck
9 - Nathan Smith
10 - Mikko Jokela

Close but no cigar: Rob McVicar, Brandon Nolan, Fedor Fedorov

That'd be a good rough draft I'd say.

Hi-wayman 09-23-2003 10:36 AM

Same criteria as above only I'll do 21 because I think all 21 have a reasonable chance to make the NHL. The future looks bright:

1 - Ryan Kesler
2 - Tomas Mojzis
3 - Alex Auld
4 - Kirill Koltsov
5 - Tyler Bouck
6 - Jason King
7 - RJ Umberger
8 - Mikko Jokela
9 - Nathan Smith
10 - Rene Vydareny
11 - Brandon Reid
12 - Evgeny Gladskikh
13 - Ilia Krikunov
14 - Lukas Mensator
15 - Brandon Nolan
16 - Fedor Federov
17 - M A Bernier
18 - Martin Grenier
19 - Justin Morrison
20 - Rob McVicar
21 - Jesse Schultz

RI Canuck 09-23-2003 11:17 AM

In the order they will make the team-

1. Brandon Reid
2. Ryan Kesler
3. Kirill Koltsov
4. Alex Auld
5. Jason King
6. R.J. Umberger
7. Tyler Bouck
8. Tomas Mojzis
9. Rob McVicar
10. Nathan Smith

canucksfan 09-23-2003 11:26 AM

1.Koltsov
2.Umberger
3.Kesler
4.Auld
5.Reid
6.Mojzis
7.King
8.Smith
9.Bouck
10.Jokela

Impossibles 09-23-2003 11:35 AM

Shouldn't umberger be removed from that list?

Sounds like he won't sign and he will re-enter the draft.

canucksfan 09-23-2003 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Impossibles

He is still Canucks property and until he gets traded he is still considered a Canucks prospect.

orcatown 09-23-2003 11:50 AM

Mizral - I think we should hold off on this till the camp and pre-season is done. Right now if a player has one good game he shoots up the rankings. Say if FF scores a couple he's suddenly back on the list.

We need the dust to settle and get a more complete picture.

Also it will be important to see how players are assigned. This will reflect where the organization stands with the prospects which is probably the most important factor in determining the ranking of the prospects.

The one thing your post does reflect is the growing reality that the prospects list must be extentsively revised.

incawg 09-23-2003 12:16 PM

Quote:

There was an interview with his agent this morning on 1040 and apparently talks have started up again. Sounds like a deal may get worked out after all.

Mizral 09-23-2003 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orcatown
We need the dust to settle and get a more complete picture.

Also it will be important to see how players are assigned. This will reflect where the organization stands with the prospects which is probably the most important factor in determining the ranking of the prospects.

The one thing your post does reflect is the growing reality that the prospects list must be extentsively revised.

I am not looking for a complete and definative list. That can come later. Just some lists for the midway point of Preseason/Camp/Rookie Camp. I'm sure by the end of preseason, some changes would be made.

Impossibles 09-23-2003 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incawg
There was an interview with his agent this morning on 1040 and apparently talks have started up again. Sounds like a deal may get worked out after all.

Good to hear.
Umberger's in a tough spot.

If he doesn't sign, he goes back into the draft not having played any high level of hockey in a year, and probably gets drafted in the 3rd (maybe 2nd) round, so gets a lower contract then the one he is currently being offered.

Rageinthecage 09-23-2003 12:30 PM

Quote:

Umberger can't re-enter the draft as he's too old. Can't play his senior year at Ohio State due to hiring an agent. He has three choices this winter:

1)Move to Europe and learn a new language and culture asap, while playing for a team in one of the many elite leagues. Watch trade value drop off the map in the process.

2)Sign what Burke/Nonis offer to him and enjoy the Manitoba weather and long bus rides in the AHL.

3)Sit on his ass at home and watch hockey on the tube this season.

galiano 09-23-2003 12:46 PM

I think more than anything this tells us that the Canucks finally have excellent depth at most positions. It's been a long time since we've had a list of this many prospects that will likely play in the NHL. Heck we even have depth in goal !

1 - Brandon Reid - if they give him a real shot he will be a hell of a player

2 - Alex Auld - So cool. Can't miss in 2 years

3 - Tomas Mojzis - finally a pp quarterback ? We got him for Brad Leeb ? ! ? So much for Toronto scouting and the overrated Pat Quinn

4 - Ryan Kesler - 3rd line winger with big upside

5 - Tyler Bouck - Cookies clone only a lot tougher

6 - Jason King - a real sniper

7- Kiril Koltsov - prima donna ? let's hope not

8- Mikko Jokela - this guy will be ready soon

9 - Nathan Smith - underestimated offence

10- Rob McVicar - holy #*#@% this guy is big

PecaFan 09-23-2003 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rageinthecage
Umberger can't re-enter the draft as he's too old. Can't play his senior year at Ohio State due to hiring an agent. He has three choices this winter:

1)Move to Europe and learn a new language and culture asap, while playing for a team in one of the many elite leagues. Watch trade value drop off the map in the process.

2)Sign what Burke/Nonis offer to him and enjoy the Manitoba weather and long bus rides in the AHL.

3)Sit on his ass at home and watch hockey on the tube this season.

4) Go to a lesser school, and become a UFA next year.

I'm pretty sure his agent said that was a possibility.

maruk14 09-23-2003 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PecaFan
4) Go to a lesser school, and become a UFA next year.

I'm pretty sure his agent said that was a possibility.

I am fairly certain in all college athletics if a player transfers schools they have to sit out a year, no exceptions. I don't think Umberger could just transfer to a DII or DIII, or even an NAIA school and not sit out a year. I don't think this is an option for him.

I think at the end of the day he will get a contract worked out, but if that happens he will be way behind everyone else and will have to first work his way into the lineup. He will then start slow and Canuck fans will say he is a horrible prospect who should get traded for a 5th rounder :p

Mr. Canucklehead 09-23-2003 04:25 PM

Given your critera...

1. Ryan Kesler
2. Tomas Mojzis
3. Kirill Koltsov
4. Alex Auld
5. Brandon Reid
6. Nathan Smith
7. Rene Vydareny
8. Jason King
9. Mikko Jokela
10. Lukas Mensator

~Canucklehead~

Yammer 09-23-2003 05:09 PM

(trying not to look at any of the previous posts)

prospect = did not stay with the club through last season. occasional callups included.

Ranked in order of potential contribution in the NHL, not how close they are to making it.

1 Fedorov
2 Koltsov
3 Auld
4 Umberger
5 Mojzis
6 Reid
7 Kesler
8 Bernier
9 Davidsson
10 Smith

Edler Von Gud 09-23-2003 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yammer
(9 Davidsson

I hope you mean Niklas Danielsson, and not Johan Davidsson :D

Danielsson had 3 goals for Brynas in the exhibition season. The SEL starts up today, but I don't think Brynas is playing today.

Fedz 09-23-2003 08:32 PM

7 - RJ Umberger
8 - Mikko Jokela
9 - Nathan Smith
10 - Rene Vydareny
11 - Brandon Reid

Reid behing all of them? you crazy...he actually played in the NHL before, in the playoffs, he has more potential than 3 out of 5 guys there, hes not very old, and hes the closest player in the canuck organization prospect wise to make the NHL!

PecaFan 09-23-2003 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maruk14
I am fairly certain in all college athletics if a player transfers schools they have to sit out a year, no exceptions. I don't think Umberger could just transfer to a DII or DIII, or even an NAIA school and not sit out a year. I don't think this is an option for him.

Yeah, I wish I had heard the interview more closely, it was on in the background during a visit. I know the agent was asked if he could go back to Ohio State, and he said no. But he did say he could go to X and work out, and then become a free agent. X was some kind of lesser school, where friends were.

He may have just been talking about actually attending school. I assume that's allowed. :)

cyrisweb 09-23-2003 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedz
7 - RJ Umberger
and hes the closest player in the canuck organization prospect wise to make the NHL!

I disagree.. Kesler is above him.

cyrisweb 09-23-2003 11:56 PM

IMO the Canucks top 10 currently should be..

1. Kesler(Will probably make the NHL next year)
2. Koltsov(Obviously still has some work to do, but potenial is much better than any other Canuck prospect)
3. Reid(Will have a much harder time making it than Kesler)
4. Auld(Has potential but has a much rougher road than any other)
5. Umberger
6. Mojsiz
7. Jokela
8. Bouck
9. King
10. Fedorov/Smith/Vydareny(switch any in of the 3 in and out as per daily outcomes)

Steveorama 09-24-2003 05:26 AM

These are the prospects who will have the biggest NHL impact (not necessarily the most talented right now).

1)Umberger
2)Kesler
3)Koltsov
4)Mojzis
5)Bernier
6)Reid
7)Auld
8)Fedorov
9)Nolan
10)King

Sticky* 09-24-2003 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steveorama
These are the prospects who will have the biggest NHL impact (not necessarily the most talented right now).

1)Umberger
2)Kesler
3)Koltsov
4)Mojzis
5)Bernier
6)Reid
7)Auld
8)Fedorov
9)Nolan
10)King

Auld should definitely be higher than that, no less than top 4. Has a ton of potential, and down the road I feel that the trade Burke made to get him will be looked upon as a great trade.

maruk14 09-24-2003 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PecaFan
He may have just been talking about actually attending school. I assume that's allowed. :)

Assuming student athletes actually attend class :)

monster_bertuzzi 09-24-2003 05:51 PM

IMO prospects that will make an impact in the NHL.

1-Umberger (size,skill, and attitude)
2-Koltsov
3-kesler
4-Mojzis
5-Auld
6-Fedorov
7-MA Bernier
8-Reid
9-King
10-Vydarney