HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The media is not all over Kessel's goal production because... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1364625)

Tonka 03-02-2013 01:31 PM

The media is not all over Kessel's goal production because...
 
...today Tyler Seguin scored his whopping 4th goal of the year.

That's right- the media, and many Leafs "fans" would be all over Kessel and ripping the guy left and right over every opportunity they could get. I barely hear anything on the radio about it. Sure there has been the odd speculation of trading him for Perry or his next contract but there isn't much attention especially since Kessel just played two very weak games against the NYI and Habs. Possibly his softest games since the debaucle with Rotten Ronnie...and there was a tonne of media coverage over that.

But if the prodigy, Tyler "thank-you Kessel" Seguin had been playing at even an average production rate, Kessel would be pig roast by now thanks to Schimmonds and co.

Sure, it helps the Leafs are winning a bit more but even at the same pace and let's say Tyler "thank-you Kessel" Seguin had about 8-9 goals- que the bar-b-que. All we would be hearing is oh what could have been...Seguin would have made this team into a legit contender, says so Steve Schimmonds.

Kingstonian84* 03-02-2013 01:35 PM

My beef with Kessel is this

He is supposedly our "best" player and he is being payed like one, yet he is not proving himself. Yes, I know he is getting chances but he needs to BURY them, I'm sorry but its pathetic how Kadri who is getting 3rd line minutes is outdoing him, I'll tell you a bad comparsion Kadri got 75% of Kessel's goal totals on the season in 1 game.

Also the last 3-4 games Kessel has been invisible, not creating chances, trying to go 1on3, turning the puck over, being lazy in his own end. I'm not saying Kessel has to be this big rock em' sock em player but he needs to get back to being an elite offensive player he was last year.

Jack Bourdain 03-02-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 (Post 60794757)
My beef with Kessel is this

He is supposedly our "best" player and he is being payed like one, yet he is not proving himself. Yes, I know he is getting chances but he needs to BURY them, I'm sorry but its pathetic how Kadri who is getting 3rd line minutes is outdoing him, I'll tell you a bad comparsion Kadri got 75% of Kessel's goal totals on the season in 1 game.

Also the last 3-4 games Kessel has been invisible, not creating chances, trying to go 1on3, turning the puck over, being lazy in his own end. I'm not saying Kessel has to be this big rock em' sock em player but he needs to get back to being an elite offensive player he was last year.

Missing Lupul?

Tonka 03-02-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 (Post 60794757)
My beef with Kessel is this

He is supposedly our "best" player and he is being payed like one, yet he is not proving himself. Yes, I know he is getting chances but he needs to BURY them, I'm sorry but its pathetic how Kadri who is getting 3rd line minutes is outdoing him, I'll tell you a bad comparsion Kadri got 75% of Kessel's goal totals on the season in 1 game.

Also the last 3-4 games Kessel has been invisible, not creating chances, trying to go 1on3, turning the puck over, being lazy in his own end. I'm not saying Kessel has to be this big rock em' sock em player but he needs to get back to being an elite offensive player he was last year.

Oh I agree, and there should be high media coverage on it...but my point is that there isn't because the prodical son is having a bad year and there isn't an "angle" to it. There isn't the oh the Leafs org. screwed up so bad just look let's all worship golden boy Tyler.

ponder 03-02-2013 01:38 PM

Wrong, the main reason the media aren't crushing Kessel is that the team has been winning. When the team is winning, the media writes positive stories, when the team is losing they turn into vultures, that's just how it works.

johnny_rudeboy 03-02-2013 01:38 PM

We play a system and have installed a mentality in the team that is not about individual production. Hopefully the media and fans get that. I rather have a back checking winger helping his team to win even if he dont maximize his offensive potential spending time limiting the offensive chances for the other team. So far this season Kessel seem to have bought in to it, I do wonder if he want to do it in the future as well but that is a whole different question that needs an answer some time in the summer.

Tonka 03-02-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain (Post 60794873)
Missing Lupul?

Kessel only has a few goals, good goal scorers should not be so dependant on 1 player unless it's a Malkin type player who's elevated him to 50-goal status.

Tonka 03-02-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponder (Post 60795007)
Wrong, the main reason the media aren't crushing Kessel is that the team has been winning. When the team is winning, the media writes positive stories, when the team is losing they turn into vultures, that's just how it works.

So are you saying if Kessel had 3 goals and Seguin had 9 or 10 goals, especially with Hamilton in the line-up now- we wouldn't hear anything about it? I whole heartedy disagree.

Cor 03-02-2013 01:44 PM

We are winning, that is why no one cares (which everyone does, people freak out about it on here all the time)

Has nothing to do with Seguin, that trade is history, and no one cares about it anymore. We have Phil Kessel, they have Seguin, and Hamilton

buntek 03-02-2013 01:54 PM

The problem I have with Kessel is this.

He's super predictable. Every time he gets the puck in the neutral zone, he either pulls up at the blue line or shoots it from the perimeter.

If he really wanted to use one of his best assets, his SPEED, he needs to drive wide on guys and take it to the net. A few things could happen. He could maybe get a bounce and get a greasy goal. He could position himself for a better shot and drive the net. But what really grinds my gears about him gaining the blue and letting one rip, is the fact that he could draw 1-2-3 penalties a game by burning going around guys and actually taking it to the net.

number72 03-02-2013 01:56 PM

The team is winning. Kessel does deserve to get questioned for the terrible past three games and his lacking goal production this season but thankfully other players like Kadri, Mclaren and even Orr have bailed him out. They do and have gotten credit by the media which have left Kessel alone.

This is also why I think people are too negative on the media. The media is a business and doesn't care about being homerish.

sommervr 03-02-2013 01:57 PM

It's not all about goals. Seguin is playing fantastic defensive hockey for the B's.
The trade story has no legs: the leafs lost the trade badly and Burke got fired for undisclosed reasons. Not much left to say.

getyourselfsomerest 03-02-2013 01:59 PM

My problem with Kessel is this: Bozak has terrible offensive instincts and JVR and Kessel is just not a good match. JVR has a good shot, goes to the net, but his passing and vision are average at best. That's why Kessel either goes in for the crappy shot, or looks to pass all the time because neither of his linemates can find him. Lupul could and he was the first one who could since Kessel got here.

And I disagree, CBC has been ALL over Kessel. I don't get it. Because of the "sniper" label? who cares?! If he's creating has many goals(assists) as he is scoring them, then it's just as good as having it the other way around.

johnny_rudeboy 03-02-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buntek (Post 60796421)
The problem I have with Kessel is this.

He's super predictable. Every time he gets the puck in the neutral zone, he either pulls up at the blue line or shoots it from the perimeter.

If he really wanted to use one of his best assets, his SPEED, he needs to drive wide on guys and take it to the net. A few things could happen. He could maybe get a bounce and get a greasy goal. He could position himself for a better shot and drive the net. But what really grinds my gears about him gaining the blue and letting one rip, is the fact that he could draw 1-2-3 penalties a game by burning going around guys and actually taking it to the net.

But have Kessel the size and mentality to drive the net? He can go from outside to the inside using his speed but I cant see him effectively pushing a defender enough to keep control of the puck and score.

NoTouchIcing 03-02-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponder (Post 60795007)
Wrong, the main reason the media aren't crushing Kessel is that the team has been winning. When the team is winning, the media writes positive stories, when the team is losing they turn into vultures, that's just how it works.

This is absolutely the truth. I hadn't even thought of Seguin until I read this. Everyone's weaknesses are covered up when you're winning.

FreeBird 03-02-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buntek (Post 60796421)
The problem I have with Kessel is this.

He's super predictable. Every time he gets the puck in the neutral zone, he either pulls up at the blue line or shoots it from the perimeter.

If he really wanted to use one of his best assets, his SPEED, he needs to drive wide on guys and take it to the net. A few things could happen. He could maybe get a bounce and get a greasy goal. He could position himself for a better shot and drive the net. But what really grinds my gears about him gaining the blue and letting one rip, is the fact that he could draw 1-2-3 penalties a game by burning going around guys and actually taking it to the net.

And he won't follow his shot to the net, he bails.

leafsfuture 03-02-2013 02:02 PM

I think there is 3 reasons why the media arent all over his lack of goals:

1. Nazem Kadri is dominating the headlines
2. At least up until recently he found success setting up JVR
3. The team is winning

Pi 03-02-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sommervr (Post 60796633)
It's not all about goals. Seguin is playing fantastic defensive hockey for the B's.
The trade story has no legs: the leafs lost the trade badly and Burke got fired for undisclosed reasons. Not much left to say.

:biglaugh:

Not hard to play good defense on the Bruins, especially with Bergeron and Chara also on the team.

Whenever I've seen Seguin, he avoids contact just as much as Kessel, doesn't really go into the corners, tries to deke out 5 defenders like Kadri used to do in juniors.

He has speed and a good shot.

Playmaking ---> Kessel
Snipe ---> Kessel.

Better player ---> Kessel

Better player on HFBoards? ---> Seguin.

If Seguin had 10 goals right now, Kessel would be ripped to shreds right now by the Sun and the Star.

Stats01 03-02-2013 02:03 PM

I agree it has to do with the team winning. If this team was out of a playoff spot or near the bottom the media would be talking about it a ton more. But with the Leafs winning, Kessel's scoring issues are taking a seat behind more important issues like the overall team play and the emergence of Kadri.

Stats01 03-02-2013 02:07 PM

Let's also not forget that it's not like Kessel has played badly..only recently has his play dipped. Everyone in the media has given him a break because for the most part this season he's done a good job of back checking. If someone isn't scoring the least they could do is play well in another area and Kessel's defensive game and his play making ability have sort of swept his goal drought under the rug.

DaveT83* 03-02-2013 02:12 PM

They'll write about him if we start losing.

And/Or when he's traded.

Aplayaz2000 03-02-2013 02:21 PM

i was guna say cause the Leafs are winning
loooool

hey people have their bad days, piss off

Everlong 03-02-2013 02:23 PM

Winning is everything. It doesn't matter who scores the goals.

Funk Volume 03-02-2013 02:25 PM

Because we are 13-9-0 and in the playoffs at this point in time. Idgaf if he never scores again as long as we're winning.

Leaf Rocket 03-02-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everlong (Post 60798511)
Winning is everything. It doesn't matter who scores the goals.

Pretty much. Also people forget how much Kessel decides to make others better. I mean yea JVR is having a great time but wanna see who he is getting those excellent passes from? JVr is on a cold streak atm, wanna check who's been having bad games in recent times?

Kessel will get there, he needs to round it out more, he won't be that great defensively solid presence but he's slowly inching towards to be atleast average or a bit better than it, thanks to carlyle. I'm sure he would've gotten an earful when he was being spoken to in today's coach to player meeting.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.