HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Smid to BUF (Deadline) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1365627)

Irving Zisman 03-03-2013 03:46 PM

Smid to BUF (Deadline)

Assuming Smid would re-sign with the Sabres. I think he'd be a perfect fit on the left side playing with Myers... What would it take to get him to Buffalo at the deadline?

Empros* 03-03-2013 03:54 PM

How about something around Smid for Myers.

1972 03-03-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empros (Post 60873737)

not close

Kid Dynamite 03-03-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irving Zisman (Post 60873261)
Assuming Smid would re-sign with the Sabres. I think he'd be a perfect fit on the left side playing with Myers... What would it take to get him to Buffalo at the deadline?

Ott and Buf 2013 1st would be pieces that would interest the Oilers, we value Smid very highly and there is a good chance of him resigning so Buffalo would probably have to add to either of those pieces.

Beerz 03-03-2013 04:06 PM

I can't see any reason Oilers move Smid for anything reasonable.

HermanMunster 03-03-2013 04:06 PM

Edmonton isn't trading one of their only effective NHL defensemen, but assuming they do, its for one of your young centers (Grigorenko, Hodgson, Girgensens).

misfit 03-03-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empros (Post 60873737)

Ok, this made me laugh.

Beerz 03-03-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite (Post 60874425)
Ott and Buf 2013 1st would be pieces that would interest the Oilers, we value Smid very highly and there is a good chance of him resigning so Buffalo would probably have to add to either of those pieces.

exhibit A.

Soundwave 03-03-2013 04:09 PM

Would have to involve Grigorenko probably I would think, as that would free up the Oilers to trade Gagner for a d-man, but the Oilers really aren't in a position to be giving away any effective D without some kind of plan to get one or more back.

Beerz 03-03-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herman72 (Post 60874541)
Edmonton isn't trading one of their only effective NHL defensemen, but assuming they do, its for one of your young centers (Grigorenko, Hodgson, Girgensens).

exhibit B

Irving Zisman 03-03-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite (Post 60874425)

When has a team traded a top 5-10 pick for a pending UFA? Ever?

I get that he's valued highly, and for good reason, but that's absurdity. Assuming Smid would re-sign with Buffalo, I would be willing to move one of our top prospects not named Grigorenko, however.

Sloth Slothersons* 03-03-2013 04:16 PM

Pretty much nothing you guys want to part with. Smid is a valuable part of our team.

Irving Zisman 03-03-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herman72 (Post 60874541)

I'd strongly consider it

Reacher Gilt 03-03-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irving Zisman (Post 60875137)
When has a team traded a top 5-10 pick for a pending UFA? Ever?

Why would a team heading for those kind of pick be a buyer at the deadline?

Irving Zisman 03-03-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reacher Gilt (Post 60875465)
Why would a team heading for those kind of pick be a buyer at the deadline?

Because Smid is young enough and good enough to be a key piece of the puzzle going forward. I see him as the perfect partner for Myers for years to come: A great defensive d-man with brains and legs.

An aggressive, proactive GM would identify a guy like Smid and go all out to acquire/ sign him before he hits UFA. Of course, I have very little faith that a guy like Regier would have the testicular fortitude to go through with such a move :lol:

Beerz 03-03-2013 04:24 PM

Stafford and a 3rd is about as high as I'd go.

Oilers refuse..I move on. No biggie.

Gobo 03-03-2013 04:24 PM

Grigs +

Irving Zisman 03-03-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerz (Post 60875941)
Stafford and a 3rd is about as high as I'd go.

Oilers refuse..I move on. No biggie.

Oilers fans refuse, but would Tambellini if he was certain Smid was going to UFA?

Trafalgar McLaw 03-03-2013 04:35 PM

I'm assuming Grigorenko isn't going anywhere. I'd probably consider Girgensons+2nd or Adam+1st or something along those lines.

haterbehatin 03-03-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irving Zisman (Post 60876189)
Oilers fans refuse, but would Tambellini if he was certain Smid was going to UFA?

Not sure why you're trying to add a hypothetical scenario to try to get the bargain bin price you want to pay. If he won't sign for the team he has history and attachment to why would he sign for Buffalo. Why would you then want to pay anything for a guy you want for the future when under your scenario he's set on testing the market.

cpsman 03-03-2013 04:41 PM

what did buffalo fans expect to hear from oiler fans??

seriously, there is absolutely NO incentive for the oilers to trade smid. He is a solid D man, probably their most defensive oriented defenseman. On top of that he seems to like the city and the team, and if i recall correctly got married recently (i think to a local girl?)

on a team that is struggling from a defensive perspective, why would they in their right minds trade smid?

:help:

Irving Zisman 03-03-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haterbehatin (Post 60877163)
Not sure why you're trying to add a hypothetical scenario to try to get the bargain bin price you want to pay. If he won't sign for the team he has history and attachment to why would he sign for Buffalo. Why would you then want to pay anything for a guy you want for the future when under your scenario he's set on testing the market.

This is a trade proposal on HFboards. Nearly it's entirety is hypothetical, hence the 'assuming he'd re-sign in Buffalo' part. I understand and acknowledge the fact that the chances are slim to none

SDig14 03-03-2013 04:42 PM

The biggest issue is all signs point to Smid signing in Edmonton relatively easily, so effectively we are trading away a future piece and not a pending UFA.

If the Oilers did move him, they would need to have another backup plan for a legit top 4 dman in the summer and then hopefully Klefbom impresses at camp.

Irving Zisman 03-03-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDig14 (Post 60877599)
The biggest issue is all signs point to Smid signing in Edmonton relatively easily, so effectively we are trading away a future piece and not a pending UFA.

If the Oilers did move him, they would need to have another backup plan for a legit top 4 dman in the summer and then hopefully Klefbom impresses at camp.

Understood. Has there been rumors of them working on a new deal or has he just expressed interest in staying? Would a young and upcoming Top 4 D like McNabb or the local guy, Mark Pysyk interest the Oilers?

haterbehatin 03-03-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irving Zisman (Post 60877533)
This is a trade proposal on HFboards. Nearly it's entirety is hypothetical, hence the 'assuming he'd re-sign in Buffalo' part. I understand and acknowledge the fact that the chances are slim to none

The issue is you want to assume Buffalo would trade for him and sign him which is plausible. However you also want to assume he wouldn't resign in Edmonton and can be acquired at a reduced rate. Just saying that doesn't seem very plausible.