HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Equipment: Recommend a Helmet Please! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1365659)

Devil Dancer 03-03-2013 05:19 PM

Recommend a Helmet Please!

I've been using an old Mission roller hockey helmet for the past 6 years, and as a smaller guy I get hit in the head all the time, so I think it's time to upgrade. Helmets aren't all that expensive, so I'm willing to buy top of the line. What should I get?

I have a pretty big head (hat size 7 5/8), so obviously I'll want a larger size helmet. I plan to attach a Bauer Concept II full face shield to it.

I'd love to have something light. Once in a while I get neck aches from my current helmet because of the weight.

Thanks for the help!

AIREAYE 03-03-2013 05:48 PM

So easy; whatever fits the best, protects the best! Try on as many as you can and once you've narrowed it down, come back if you have any more questions. :)

Beville 03-03-2013 05:51 PM

Anything from Reebok/Bauer/Easton/CCM/Warrior

As above, if it fits, it works.

Devil Dancer 03-03-2013 10:13 PM

That seems like solid advice. Will the Concept II work with any helmet I buy?

Four Boilermakers 03-03-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil Dancer (Post 60906685)
That seems like solid advice. Will the Concept II work with any helmet I buy?

Bring it with you to the store and ask the salesperson. You can put the shield up against the helmet and make sure that all of the screw holes line up. Most cages and shields can be made to fit just about any helmet.

BigNumber1Centre 03-04-2013 01:42 AM

I have a big head and I went with a large 9900 bucket. Fits perfectly and is very comfortable. The re-akt sits too high on my head for my liking. I find that while very comfortable, the 11k doesn't adjust very well to fit snugly but thats might just be me. And the large v10 was too small for me.

Also, if the size of your shield is close to the size of your helmet you should be good, e.g. a medium/large should fit a medium/large. Just ask a rep at your local store to put it together and try it on to ensure it fits well.

Happy hunting!

Jarick 03-04-2013 11:08 AM

+1 to try on everything

I found the Cascade M11 to be pretty forgiving in terms of fit.

The Tikkanen 03-04-2013 11:24 AM

Try on every brand. Some helmets just don't fit, some make me look like a space alien but there is usually 1 brand that will end up fitting just right. I'm also using the M11, not the pro though, the regular one and I remove the plastic vent covers to improve air flow. Helmet before that was a high end Reebok but it cracked in the front. Will probably go back to a Reebok when it's time to replace the M11 because I liked the ventilation more.

Shaun Bisson 03-04-2013 12:11 PM

Might sound a little old school (not really), but I've got the Bauer 4500 and absolutely love it. Small profile, very traditional looking, great fit. Far and away the best bucket I've ever worn.

Although I am a traditionally Bauer everything guy. Only thing that's pulled me away from Bauer is the RBZ stick.

BigNumber1Centre 03-04-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson (Post 60935977)
Might sound a little old school (not really), but I've got the Bauer 4500 and absolutely love it. Small profile, very traditional looking, great fit. Far and away the best bucket I've ever worn.

Although I am a traditionally Bauer everything guy. Only thing that's pulled me away from Bauer is the RBZ stick.

Ya it seems like an awesome bucket profile wise. Unfortunately my head is too big for it. :( For those of you who use the M11, how do you like it protection wise? I've tried it on but never used it, and I'm a bit skeptical about it. I don't believe a helmet should have that much give, you can really squeeze that thing shut.

Jarick 03-04-2013 02:38 PM

I've got a wider head. I don't fit the 4500 or a lot of others on the market. My first helmet was a Mission Intake. I loved it. Would love to find a new old stock one and see how it fits today.

The M11 has a ballcap type adjustment that goes around the whole head. It seems to wrap around and be quite forgiving for all head shapes. I like the adjustment more than my new Easton E600, which is lighter and has better air flow but the straps could use a bit more adjustment to truly be perfect.

The Cascade is a little flimsy, but I think it's still enough to protect you from the boards or sticks and pucks. The plastic hex padding is thicker and springy. Again, contrast with my Easton helmet which is very rigid and has stiff padding with soft foam over it...different system.

Every helmet on the market passes the same certification. None of them are proven to be any more or less effective with concussions. Personally I like soft padding and both the Easton and Cascade are nice in that respect.

My only complaints with both are that they can slide around a bit on the head unless they are on tight, which bugs me. But short of someone taking a mold of my head, that's probably always going to be a problem.

Devil Dancer 03-07-2013 09:57 AM

I tried the 9900 and it was surprisingly big. The large was too wide, and the medium actually kind of fit. It didn't feel quite right though, so I'm still looking.

CornKicker 03-07-2013 10:24 AM

i switched from a bauer bucket to the rbk 11k and i love it, the adjustable dial in teh back ensures it is always tight and feels good.

jsykes 03-07-2013 11:10 AM

CCM V08. One of the best helmets on the market and also one of the larger ones if you're having an issue finding a larger helmet. I wear a medium in most, but a small in the V08.

Works well, simple design, nice and comfy VN padding and a good fit. There's a reason its the most popular helmet in the NHL.

MJAYK 03-07-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsykes (Post 61156251)
CCM V08. One of the best helmets on the market and also one of the larger ones if you're having an issue finding a larger helmet. I wear a medium in most, but a small in the V08.

Works well, simple design, nice and comfy VN padding and a good fit. There's a reason its the most popular helmet in the NHL.

I second the CCM helmet. I have a V10 and it's absolutely the best bucket i have ever worn. Very light and fits my head perfectly. I dont know about the sizing on that one, i have the large adjusted to maximum. I have a big brain that i have to protect, for that i chose the CCM.

abe jr 03-07-2013 12:48 PM

i need a new one also...still rocking this

http://www.hockeyworld.com/common/im...arge/1-206.jpg

The Tikkanen 03-07-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJAYK (Post 61160707)
I second the CCM helmet. I have a V10 and it's absolutely the best bucket i have ever worn. Very light and fits my head perfectly. I dont know about the sizing on that one, i have the large adjusted to maximum. I have a big brain that i have to protect, for that i chose the CCM.

You know what they say about guys with big brains...