HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Blake Wheeler (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1366373)

BrookswasHere44 03-04-2013 03:34 AM

Blake Wheeler

Not that he is available...i guess hes not but what would he fetch you think...specifically from Pittsburgh?

You guys as fans are awesome!

garret9 03-04-2013 03:55 AM

hmmm IMO all of your guys are either far more valuable (Crosby, Malkin and Neal) or far less valuable.

Don't really see any fitting in with needs, age and value working out.

DespoticNewt 03-04-2013 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garret9 (Post 60924221)
hmmm IMO all of your guys are either far more valuable (Crosby, Malkin and Neal) or far less valuable.

Don't really see any fitting in with needs, age and value working out.

Pretty much. Outside of Fleury, Malkin, Crosby, Neal, or Letang, there is no one who would generate any interest from Chevy.

Reed Solomon 03-04-2013 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookswasHere44 (Post 60924043)
Not that he is available...i guess hes not but what would he fetch you think...specifically from Pittsburgh?

You guys as fans are awesome!

5 Crosbys and 9 Malkins.

aka I see no realistic scenario where it could happen.

truck 03-04-2013 07:08 AM

Beau Bennett, Brandon Sutter, +

Channelcat 03-04-2013 10:11 AM

There's plenty of guys Chevy would be interested in. Depres, Harrington, Maata, Bennet, Wilson etc. Pitt has no organizational depth at center though, which is what we need.

I think Wheeler will wear out his welcome here eventually, but with the new baby etc., TNSE won't be moving him anytime soon. Seems like its a "family organization" which is a concept that generally doesn't lend itself to winning in pro sports, unfortunately.

Donald 03-04-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Channelcat (Post 60929775)
I think Wheeler will wear out his welcome here eventually, but with the new baby etc., TNSE won't be moving him anytime soon. Seems like its a "family organization" which is a concept that generally doesn't lend itself to winning in pro sports, unfortunately.

Yes, and they are more interested in winning at the AHL level than the NHL too right?

Romang67 03-04-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Channelcat (Post 60929775)
There's plenty of guys Chevy would be interested in. Depres, Harrington, Maata, Bennet, Wilson etc. Pitt has no organizational depth at center though, which is what we need.

Ok, I'll bite. Why?

Channelcat 03-04-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romang67 (Post 60930729)
Ok, I'll bite. Why?

Winning is a nasty business, but I probably shouldn't have opened that can of worms! But if you're asking specifically about Wheeler; I just don't think he's got the "hockey iq". In my opinion the only way for him to be effective is to drive hard and blast the puck.

untouchable21 03-04-2013 10:49 AM

Penguins obviously have some attractive pieces (Morrow, Harrington, Bennet, Sutter) but probably none that would entice Chevy to ship out Wheeler because Wheeler is needed much more than any of those attractive options. These teams don't make good trade partners and no way is Wheeler moved unless it was considered a mass overpayment or the JETS can't get Wheeler under contract.

Sweech 03-04-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Channelcat (Post 60931139)
Winning is a nasty business, but I probably shouldn't have opened that can of worms! But if you're asking specifically about Wheeler; I just don't think he's got the "hockey iq". In my opinion the only way for him to be effective is to drive hard and blast the puck.

Yeah, that guy can't pass at all. He's always played like a powerforward. :sarcasm:

Grind 03-04-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

have you actually watched wheeler or is this just based on how tall/heavy he is?

his passing and "hockey iq" are waaay above his shooting ability AINEC.

he seems to have been the most effective player on the jets last year by primarily using his subpar hockey iq.

but forget about results right? those aren't what matter...

Potrzebie 03-04-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

This made me :laugh:. When he's on his game he's one of the better playmakers on the team. You sure you don't have him confused with another Jets winger that gets ragged on for having "no hockey IQ" and can only "drive hard and blast the puck"? :)

garret9 03-04-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grind (Post 60937853)
have you actually watched wheeler or is this just based on how tall/heavy he is?

his passing and "hockey iq" are waaay above his shooting ability AINEC.

he seems to have been the most effective player on the jets last year by primarily using his subpar hockey iq.

but forget about results right? those aren't what matter...

The results you speak of: :)

2011-12 for RWers:
top10 in primary assist per minute
top20 in pts per minute

2012-13 for RWers:
top 30 in all 3 main categories (goals, primary assists and points per minute)

Grind 03-04-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garret9 (Post 60941989)
The results you speak of: :)

2011-12 for RWers:
top10 in primary assist per minute
top20 in pts per minute

2012-13 for RWers:
top 30 in all 3 main categories (goals, primary assists and points per minute)

mmhmm... this is a lot like the "enstrom needs a shorter stick" complaint...

He seems to be having a helluva lot of success doing things the way his now, don't know what would make anyoen think doing something different would improve there game.....if it ain't broke.. don't fix it...

bazaaa* 03-04-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

I'm willing to bet a lot of money you don't know what hockey iq really means.

Aries56 03-04-2013 03:02 PM

Need a reason why Wheeler isn't going anywhere? The guys a leader, look at last game vs Washington. Took a shot off the knee and needed help to the locker room. Later that period, he was back out there trying to play (unsuccessfully, but there was no lack of effort).

Third period started and it was announced he was out for the rest of the game. Wheeler shows up on the bench and ends up playing the rest of the game.

That's leadership, dedication and leading by example. The guy has heart.

JetsHomer 03-04-2013 03:52 PM

Anyone know what Wheelers numbers looked like after his cold streak at the start of the season last year and when it ended? I'm curious about his numbers over his last 82 games

Aerial 03-04-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High (Post 60949867)
Anyone know what Wheelers numbers looked like after his cold streak at the start of the season last year and when it ended? I'm curious about his numbers over his last 82 games

Just did quick math. After the first 18 games of 2011-12, Wheeler went 57 points in 62 games, so .92 PPG. So far this season he's at .81 PPG, which I'd have to guess is a little less just because of their recent power-play woes.

But yeah, I agree with others. Wheeler's just fine where he is, he's not going anywhere, and he brings a lot to the team on and off the ice. Hard to see how the Jets would gain by trading him for anything realistic. We'll be adding to him, not through him.

truck 03-04-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High (Post 60949867)

73 points in 82 games works for me.

garret9 03-04-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerial (Post 60956387)
Just did quick math. After the first 18 games of 2011-12, Wheeler went 57 points in 62 games, so .92 PPG. So far this season he's at .81 PPG, which I'd have to guess is a little less just because of their recent power-play woes.

But yeah, I agree with others. Wheeler's just fine where he is, he's not going anywhere, and he brings a lot to the team on and off the ice. Hard to see how the Jets would gain by trading him for anything realistic. We'll be adding to him, not through him.

I didn't do any math so I'll just trust you :P
But it looks about right. Wheeler is getting a (TINY) bit less TOI per game but his 5v5 scoring per min is the highest of his career so far... if he had equal amount of PPP as last season he'd be over a pt/gp I'd bet (again no math :P).

Channelcat 03-04-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bazaaa (Post 60945723)
I'm willing to bet a lot of money you don't know what hockey iq really means.

I'm not sure what it means to you, but I'm quite sure that you and I do not function at the same level. As for Wheeler, I think he played the best hockey of his career last season, but it hasn't been the same this season. Certainly would be a stretch to call him a play maker.

garret9 03-04-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Channelcat (Post 60966879)
I'm not sure what it means to you, but I'm quite sure that you and I do not function at the same level. As for Wheeler, I think he played the best hockey of his career last season, but it hasn't been the same this season. Certainly would be a stretch to call him a play maker.

statistically he's scoring better than last season if you remove last season...
goals and playmaking

truck 03-04-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Channelcat (Post 60966879)

He was 26th in the NHL last year in primary assists per minute and he had a few beauties this year.

That looks like the mark of a playmaker to me.

roosemoose 03-04-2013 10:23 PM

Blake Wheeler is a great power forward and the real deal as a top six forward. He is the type of guy a team can build around which Jets will do for sure.