HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Anaheim Ducks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Teemu's Powerplay Time Decrease... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1366645)

Goonface2k14 03-04-2013 12:05 PM

Teemu's Powerplay Time Decrease...
 
Does anyone know any reason why Nick Bonino is taking a spot on the top unit while he continues to struggle to put points up? Didn't that spot belong to Teemu?

Any word from Boudreau that he might get Teemu back in the pp mix with Getz and Perry?

We need more Teemu pp time to get him some points before he calls it quits! Get Nick outta there!

Paul4587 03-04-2013 12:14 PM

Boudreau is going with a 1A/1B type situation and Teemu is on the 1B unit. It's hard to argue with the results but I would much prefer we had the top 5 guys on the 1st unit - I think the PP could be even better with Teemu on Getzlaf and Perrys unit - it worked for 4 years before Boudreau took over I'm not sure why he would change things.

Goonface2k14 03-04-2013 12:25 PM

Yeah, it just looks like Nick Bonino is the guy who sticks out as getting more PP ice than he deserves. Its not like he's a faceoff specialist either.

Top pp unit should be top heavy in talent IMO.

NEWFowler 03-04-2013 12:50 PM

I agree, I think Teemu should be on the first PP unit at all times. No excuse for him not to be. But then again, our PP has been great lately so maybe I can't argue it too much.

mightyquack 03-04-2013 12:53 PM

I don't think Bonino has been bad on the top unit at all, not putting up as many points as you'd like, but his puck recovery is miles ahead of Teemu's at this stage, something pretty important for that top unit, and it's shown a lot of the last few games.

Having likes of Souray and Teemu on the 2nd unit is nice, as said by Paul, makes it a 1a/1b PP set up.

Nikko* 03-04-2013 12:56 PM

You can really see the difference in decision making time and pass reception when Beleskey or Bonino are out there. It's like everything is flowing smoothly then the puck goes to them and they ruin it. These are not power play skaters.

Goonface2k14 03-04-2013 01:31 PM

I love Teddy Flash, and how could you not - absolute class, 42 years of age and playing at an elite level. He has done nothing wrong to lose that spot - he should be out there with Getz and Perry on the top unit at all times. The PP has been magnificent, but could be even better if Teemu is out there with the big guns rather than mop up duty on the second unit.

C'mon Boudreau, wake up.

camshaft 03-04-2013 01:45 PM

The Ducks are the top ranked powerplay unit in the league and that is mainly due to the newly formed top two pp units of Getzlaf, Perry, Boinio, Palmeri, and Fowler; and second unit of Selanne, Ryan, Koivu, Beauch, and Souray. The second unit is just as dangerous as the first unit and Selanne is on second unit for scoring balance, If you examine the statics, the second unit is scoring with a higher % than first unit. It is for this reason why our pp is top ranked.

bumperkisser 03-04-2013 01:47 PM

although I wish teemu was on the top PP unit, our PP unit is going, and bonino has actually been imo, decent on the 1st PP unit. his job as mostly to retrieve pucks and dish which he did an absolutely MARVELOUS job of in phoenix. he was the reason our first PP unit was in the phoenix zone for the full 2 minutes.

Ducks DVM 03-04-2013 02:01 PM

Bonino is playing a different role than Selanne would. He's the guy getting the puck back and dishing it. He also takes a fair number of the faceoffs. People need to stop obsessing about what line Selanne is playing - it's working. If he gets an easier matchup and gets easier goals then why, exactly, are we complaining?

Goonface2k14 03-04-2013 02:16 PM

I guess I'm being sentimental.... no other Duck is more fun to watch score than Teemu, considering he is Mr. Duck. I just think he deserves the extra cookie time to put up as many points as possible before sailing off into the sunset. It's been a heck of a career, lets see him retire at an elite level rather than a drop off in points production.

C'mon Bruce, do it for the Finnish Flash.

Getz2perry 03-04-2013 02:23 PM

You guys are seriously complaining about the power play? :help:

I like teemu on the 2nd pp unit, ive said thats where we should move him anyway earlier this year.

The top unit literally doesnt lose the puck, bonino has done well on retrieving the puck and going to the net and making good passes.

And with teemu on the 2nd unit he likely is going up against the weaker PK unit which means hell have amazing scoring chances and hes still playing with capable players in koivu ryan souray sbisa or whoever we decide to play on that line.

Getz2perry 03-04-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOONFACE2K9 (Post 60947435)
I guess I'm being sentimental.... no other Duck is more fun to watch score than Teemu, considering he is Mr. Duck. I just think he deserves the extra cookie time to put up as many points as possible before sailing off into the sunset. It's been a heck of a career, lets see him retire at an elite level rather than a drop off in points production.

C'mon Bruce, do it for the Finnish Flash.

Hes 42 already over achieving, and were winning and the 1st unit has been lights out the way it is right now.

AngelDuck 03-04-2013 02:28 PM

Bonino's puck recovery on the PP is probably the best on our team. He is amazing at it. I've seen plays where he's been out there for a minute and a half and still dives to win a battle back to the point or to Getzlaf

jepjepjoo 03-04-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyquack (Post 60942431)
I don't think Bonino has been bad on the top unit at all, not putting up as many points as you'd like, but his puck recovery is miles ahead of Teemu's at this stage, something pretty important for that top unit, and it's shown a lot of the last few games.

Having likes of Souray and Teemu on the 2nd unit is nice, as said by Paul, makes it a 1a/1b PP set up.

BB is even putting Selanne on the ice with Getz and Perry when there's no chance for the 2nd unit to get ice time. End of periods etc.

That's what buggin me... Oh and the fact that he didn't get any ice time with the goalie pulled. Cogliano and Beleskey instead of Selanne with 1:30 left. :cry:

Edit. He's not shooting in SO either nor does he get more than 1 shift per OT and that's with Bonino. He should get to play with Koivu 4vs4.

eenok* 03-04-2013 02:45 PM

hello EENOK here right!=

,,think koivu should step to first line an dirigate. think getshlaf is too slow an makin bad decisions an shootin bad place/time. very nonchalanche this mister. yeah!

koivus been best duck all year very much potent player!:handclap:. pure vatanen spirit . A-winner!

not all good even if wins come! can get better but in headbrains mind more games playd player is OVER quality. NOT A GOOD THING!

EENOK,OVERprofessor in hockey,IL,Finland

jepjepjoo 03-04-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Getz2perry (Post 60947955)
Hes 42 already over achieving, and were winning and the 1st unit has been lights out the way it is right now.

1st unit PP points:
Getzlaf 7
Perry 5
Beleskey/Palmieri 2
Bonino 2
Fowler 0

total: 16

2nd unit PP points:

Selanne 6
Koivu 6
Ryan 5
Beauchemin 5
Souray 4

total: 26

Yet the 1st unit plays 60-70% of the PP time.

PP faceoffs won/lost:
Selanne 17/9 65.3%
Bonino 7/13 35%

eenok* 03-04-2013 02:51 PM

please bring VATANEN IN for PPpower an of course more balans FOR TEAM in ALL SITUATIONS. A-winner player. :handclap:

vatanen is a superstar already. you already know it an hate the team headbrains up****in! thank you

EENOK,HockeyPROFESSOR,IL,Finland

Sean Garrity 03-04-2013 02:59 PM

The big difference to me is, the 1A unit will be out for about 1 minute, and then the 1B unit comes out. That was not the case the past seasons under Carlyle, we would regularly see the 1st unit out there almost the entire time.

Of course, if the 1st unit stays in the zone then the times will differ. It just seems to be generally spit more 50/50 as opposed to 75/25 as it used to be.

defer 03-04-2013 03:02 PM

I didn't like it at first (removing Teemu from #1 unit), but Bones and Fowler have done such a great job with the puck recovery, and you just can't change it right now.

Ducks DVM 03-04-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jepjepjoo (Post 60949401)
1st unit PP points:
Getzlaf 7
Perry 5
Beleskey/Palmieri 2
Bonino 2
Fowler 0

total: 16

2nd unit PP points:

Selanne 6
Koivu 6
Ryan 5
Beauchemin 5
Souray 4

total: 26

Yet the 1st unit plays 60-70% of the PP time.

PP faceoffs won/lost:
Selanne 17/9 65.3%
Bonino 7/13 35%

The 1st PP is controlling play and would have several goals with some puck luck. Souray was scoring on the PP1 so take his points with a grain of salt, several of Selanne's as well. BB actually changes the PP at right about a minute - unless the 1st unit hasn't lost control.

And having a PP 2 scoring that well with good chemistry and the ability to dominate PK2's says - don't mess with it. It would be bad coaching to do so as long as the goals are coming.

jepjepjoo 03-04-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Garrity (Post 60950331)
The big difference to me is, the 1A unit will be out for about 1 minute, and then the 1B unit comes out. That was not the case the past seasons under Carlyle, we would regularly see the 1st unit out there almost the entire time.

Of course, if the 1st unit stays in the zone then the times will differ. It just seems to be generally spit more 50/50 as opposed to 75/25 as it used to be.

Really?

Last 5 games PP ice time:

Some guy with 250 career PP goals:

1:46
2:23
1:18
0:35
1:05

total: 7:07

Awesome golden god with 2 career PP goals:

3:18
3:26
3:47
1:25
3:19

total: 15:20

Yes, I'm pissed.

Kalvinators 03-04-2013 03:10 PM

I thought about it and, well, i can`t say anything bad about that for BB. One of the key to our success have been 2 very good PP units.

While teams put their best defensive forces against Getz and Perry, then Selanne, Koivu and Ryan gets relatively worse opposition.

While we are one of the top teams in the league in PP, i have no roblem with Bruce decisions with it.

jepjepjoo 03-04-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducks DVM (Post 60950621)
The 1st PP is controlling play and would have several goals with some puck luck. Souray was scoring on the PP1 so take his points with a grain of salt, several of Selanne's as well. BB actually changes the PP at right about a minute - unless the 1st unit hasn't lost control.

And having a PP 2 scoring that well with good chemistry and the ability to dominate PK2's says - don't mess with it. It would be bad coaching to do so as long as the goals are coming.

Those players are now playing on the PP2. Should I take Getz and Perry's points with a grain of salt aswell since they got some of their points while playing with Selanne and Souray?

Fasthnator 03-04-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalvinators (Post 60950971)
I thought about it and, well, i can`t say anything bad about that for BB. One of the key to our success have been 2 very good PP units.

While teams put their best defensive forces against Getz and Perry, then Selanne, Koivu and Ryan gets relatively worse opposition.

While we are one of the top teams in the league in PP, i have no roblem with Bruce decisions with it.

This is probably exactly the thought behind playing Selanne on the 2nd PP unit.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.